Update - coated diamonds!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It looks like the diamonds are from Australia and Africa. Some of the Evergreen rubbish is from Africa. I'm guessing this is just where the diamonds were mined but then the treatment was applied elsewhere - so not sure you can rely on location as being an indicator.

http://www.gemstv.co.uk/shop-detail.jsp?product=UHX8157&category=preweb&colourScheme=9
http://www.gemstv.co.uk/shop-detail.jsp?product=UOC7315&category=preweb&colourScheme=9
http://www.gemstv.co.uk/shop-detail.jsp?product=UOX1268&category=preweb&colourScheme=9
http://www.gemstv.co.uk/shop-detail.jsp?product=UXT7513&category=preweb&colourScheme=9

Also, look at this! I just found other earrings (other than studs) with the Evergreen and Canary title. I wonder if these are coated also?

http://www.gemstv.co.uk/shop-detail.jsp?product=UWL9388&category=preweb&colourScheme=9
http://www.gemstv.co.uk/shop-detail.jsp?product=UPA4771&category=preweb&colourScheme=9

Actually, taking this one step further, TJC always stated categorically that they did not sell filled rubies (other channels do). They have recently started selling filled rubies in their lower priced Platinum Coated SS range but again have been totally up front and honest by advertising these as "fissure filled". IMHO, their honestly earns respect and shows they are a reputable company with nothing to hide. That's one of the reasons why they are the only TV Jewellery channel I will buy from.

When will Gems and 'the other lot' realise that being economical with the truth only leads to people being ultra suspicious of their whole business ethic?

Hi Klosblue, just read your posting above - I bought a ruby and white sapphire ring from gemstv over 2 and a half years ago now, did/do gemstv sold filled rubies? and if so, what on earth do they fill them with? and also why do they not mention this on your guarantee card? I have just checked to see exactly what it says on my card - and nada! lol. I did take my ring to a jewellers, and they valued it for me (i bought it for £49.00) and last October it was valued at the price to replace should i loose it, at £199.00 - i have always thought the ruby to be a strange colour, albeit a madagascan ruby, mine is sort of blamangey pink.

I didnt realise that rubies could be filled. Also you know when you get a emeralds, my friend had a beautiful one (which the colour reminded me of a Foxes Glacier Fruit sweet - if any one remembers them?) a beautiful green, that did literally make your mouth water - if you looked at it very carefully you could see just one, tiny little black fleck - she was told this was an inclusion - I was wondering, ,my ruby has a tiny trace of a black fleck - are emeralds filled too? or are they really inclusions - oh help me, I am confused, no, i am panicking a tad - i dont really want to think that my ruby is filled - or is it something to worry about? xxxxx

When TJC sell their natural pink diamonds they state that these have been sourced from Australia.The way it is mentioned I get the feeling that Oz is the main location for their natural pinks,and being natural they come in small sizes and cluster them in the designs.

Is it the case that Australia is a good source for pinkies?:confused:

ShoppingTelly.com has been asked to post the following statement from GemsTV:

"We take your concerns very seriously and are investigating this matter. We will post an update in due course and if you have concerns regarding a recent purchase please get in touch with our Customer Services team on [email protected]."

Uhm filled rubies....perhaps another mystery to be uncovered?? Meesh, how can you tell if this treatment has been done or could a jeweller tell? I have a large ruby and diamond ring from GEMS bought several years ago and I'm now getting bliddy suspicious about that!! :YIKES: :pPC:

ShoppingTelly.com has been asked to post the following statement from GemsTV:

"We take your concerns very seriously and are investigating this matter. We will post an update in due course and if you have concerns regarding a recent purchase please get in touch with our Customer Services team on [email protected]."
That's all very well them stating 'recent purchase' but what about older stock items?? We need to know about all of them. :HUMP::pPC:

I'm sorry to tell you but a large proportion of the Rubies sold on GemsTV are and have been for many years, filled. There are different types of fillers but usually they are lead, glass and now there's a filler that has a similar RI to a true Ruby so is difficult to detect.

SteveA many years ago actually came on this forum to confirm that most of their Rubies were filled - I think in response to a query from Jacqualina(?) who had bought a large ruby and had it appraised (I may be remembering incorrectly)?

I would strongly suspect that MOST of their Rubies have had this treatment. The Safeguard Valuers are generally able to tell but the filling and treating of Rubies is actually one of the most difficult to detect. BE diffusion is also applied to Rubies quite commonly to improve colour and clarity. When their Tanzanian Rubies were first being sold I asked SteveA if they were BE diffused. At that point, the answer he got back from Thailand was that they weren't BUT I have to say that I'm not convinced. Look at the ones that Rocks and Co are selling. I'd lay money on them being BE diffused and they haven't denied it.

That's all very well them stating 'recent purchase' but what about older stock items?? We need to know about all of them. :HUMP::pPC:

Sue - I'm not going to rest until I get a list of item numbers. They should have the decency to post this up.

I suspect that the reason they've posted this is they want people to speak to them direct so the extent of the problem doesn't show on here.

This is disgraceful.

I thought most Rubies sold on shopping channels WERE filled? i know TJC did make a big thing out of their Burmese rubies being natural and not lead and glass filled a couple of years ago, but other than that most are!

What have i started? i feel bad now as everyone is worried about their jewellery!

No GC. You've done the right thing and shouldn't feel bad. How bad would you feel if you knew this information and then in a year or two somebody had their coated diamond jewellery assessed and posted up that Gems were selling coated diamonds? Can you imagine how big the problem might be then????? How many people would have bought these items.

You've done the right thing hun.

This is why I bang on relentlessly about treatments. I know I'm a bore with it but, to me, it's critical when deciding whether to buy or not.

No don't feel bad GC, I'm grateful that we have been alerted and can take appropriate action. :pPC:

What have i started? i feel bad now as everyone is worried about their jewellery!

Be re-assured Cherub, this is a discussion that needs to be held on an open forum as it
may affect many people. And we do all thank you for bringing it to our attention. xx

When TJC sell their natural pink diamonds they state that these have been sourced from Australia.The way it is mentioned I get the feeling that Oz is the main location for their natural pinks,and being natural they come in small sizes and cluster them in the designs.

Is it the case that Australia is a good source for pinkies?
:confused:

Sweetpea, if you google the Argyle Mine in Australia, you'll find that most of the world's best natural
Pink diamonds come from there.

Hi Klosblue, just read your posting above - I bought a ruby and white sapphire ring from gemstv over 2 and a half years ago now, did/do gemstv sold filled rubies? and if so, what on earth do they fill them with? and also why do they not mention this on your guarantee card? I have just checked to see exactly what it says on my card - and nada! lol. I did take my ring to a jewellers, and they valued it for me (i bought it for £49.00) and last October it was valued at the price to replace should i loose it, at £199.00 - i have always thought the ruby to be a strange colour, albeit a madagascan ruby, mine is sort of blamangey pink.

I didnt realise that rubies could be filled. Also you know when you get a emeralds, my friend had a beautiful one (which the colour reminded me of a Foxes Glacier Fruit sweet - if any one remembers them?) a beautiful green, that did literally make your mouth water - if you looked at it very carefully you could see just one, tiny little black fleck - she was told this was an inclusion - I was wondering, ,my ruby has a tiny trace of a black fleck - are emeralds filled too? or are they really inclusions - oh help me, I am confused, no, i am panicking a tad - i dont really want to think that my ruby is filled - or is it something to worry about? xxxxx

Please see my post on a previous page about filling of rubies but ...... consider this. Rubies are, carat -v- carat, more expensive than diamonds. I'm comparing natural unheated rubies here (i.e. the best). They are much rarer than diamonds (which aren't rare at all, just controlled).

Treatments are NOT declared on any of the authenticity cards - they simply rely on the website enhancements page so basically the customer either has to ask the question or find the website and then wonder what on earth has been done to their particular gemstone. Is this right? Nope. It's shoddy but unfortunately replicated elsewhere. Should there be FULL disclosure? Yes absolutely.

You say you bought your ring for £49. Break this down. How much gold is there? 2g? Then the cost of making the ring, then shipping it to the UK, then having it hallmarked at the Assay Office - how much does that leave? Not much. So is the Ruby likely to be natural and unheated? No. Is it likely to be a Ruby with treatments OR a poor quality Ruby? I'm sorry to say it but, yes.

No GC. You've done the right thing and shouldn't feel bad. How bad would you feel if you knew this information and then in a year or two somebody had their coated diamond jewellery assessed and posted up that Gems were selling coated diamonds? Can you imagine how big the problem might be then????? How many people would have bought these items.

You've done the right thing hun.

This is why I bang on relentlessly about treatments. I know I'm a bore with it but, to me, it's critical when deciding whether to buy or not.

No don't feel bad GC, I'm grateful that we have been alerted and can take appropriate action. :pPC:

Be re-assured Cherub, this is a discussion that needs to be held on an open forum as it
may affect many people. And we do all thank you for bringing it to our attention. xx

Sweetpea, if you google the Argyle Mine in Australia, you'll find that most of the world's best natural
Pink diamonds come from there.

GC dont feel bad its a good thing you done this by warning people

Thanks guys x

Sorry if my comments about filled rubies opened another can of worms! I see Meshoo has replied to this post already - phew! Thanks Meeshoo you explained it much better than I would have done.

I thought most Rubies sold on shopping channels WERE filled? i know TJC did make a big thing out of their Burmese rubies being natural and not lead and glass filled a couple of years ago, but other than that most are!

To my knowledge, TJC are the only channel who don't sell filled rubies - well up until their recent venture into the Platinum/Silver range. Their higher end rubies are definitely not filled. Any filled rubies sold by TJC are advertised as being filled.

Derek Gibbons, who imho has the best knowledge of all presenters, used to reiterate on a regular basis that TJC never sold lead or glass filled rubies unlike other channels!

When you compare TJC's rubies and emeralds to the other channels, they are not as "inclusion free" - this is because they are showing the natural inclusions and the others aren't! (Meeshoo will correct me here if I'm wrong but I believe I'm right!) This is because the emeralds and rubies on the other channels have been filled or as I say 'doctored'!! I believe you get what you pay for with TJC whereas with the other two you pay for what you don't get!!!

Just been flicking through the channels, and GTV have a special coloured diamonds programme. Stayed tuned in to see if any were sold that they stated as being "coated".

UJK7146 "canary diamond" studs ... presenter categorically stated they were heat treated. 9K gold, 0.475ct ... closed at £149.99

Those are from the new coated collection aren't they? well they are the same low price as the pink ones that were confirmed as coated!

Latest posts

Back