That letter!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

For several years I have kept a record detailing purchases - dates and items - and the reasons for my returning any given item. A simple at-a-glance table enables me to identify those items returned which:-
1- were not fit for purpose
2- were defective
3- did not meet expectations based on details given on the web or by the sales presenters
4- were too large/ too small
5- caused a reaction to my skin
6- were sent in error
7- arrived too late
8- I just did not like

For any given time period ( 1 month,3 months, six months etc), I am able to work out the percentages of returns to purchases. By tabulation – categories along the top, and dates and purchases down the side – I am able to work out the percentages of ‘enforced’ returns – those falling within categories 1 to 7.

If ever QVC sent the letter, or called me, to query my returns, I would be in a position to counter QVC. In addition, should I wish to take the matter further with the appropriate bodies, I would be able to provide the detailed statistics supporting my case.

Rainbowdottie reported that a chap from QVC accounts had told her that QVC “couldn't possibly read every returned item slip", and that, in consequence, the reasons for returns were not taken into account when QVC compiled return rates. I find the statement by the QVC accounts chap hard to believe, given the automated nature of processes in QVC’s line of business, and given that QVC does ask customers to provide the information on the returns counterfoil. However, if it is true that QVC doesn't use the information on why customers are returning goods, then surely that would be a damning indictment of QVC's attitudes and practices.

I was also told by CS that they don't read the returns slips, which would explain why I only received replacements for goods when i spoke to a CS person.

I'm quite happy to admit that (I think!) I was totally addicted to QVC.To be fair "The Letter" although it didn't change the amount I spent:sad: I didn't send much back - even passing some bits on as presents/christmas/mothers day.So QVC had what they wanted.

Now I don't spend much (another harder realization changed that!) but I really see QVC for what it is - and I know notice why and when I spent my money - I know my recent splurge is because I've had time off work - have had a bit of "me" time and I've been suckered in.

The thing I find most awkward about QVC is you never know whats round the corner.I may go to M&S or TK Maxx and have a good look around the store and decide from the whole store,what my budget is.I may go a week later even two - and rarely will there be new stuff.QVC are not like this - they rarely advertise their TSV's - if I didn't have this forum,I wouldn't know about OTO's or special prices - and I think its fair to say that you could spend £45 with them this week - but something thats bigger/better value/more suited to you may come up next week - and QVC tell you in the presenting that you're well within your rights to send items back.

They say if its in stock,its online - but they "hold" a lot of items back.

Distance Selling Regulations ?

Also, if the item does not meet the expectations following the on-air demonstration doesn't this come foul of trade descriptions act ?

I very rarely send anything back, although there has been the odd occassion - but thats not the point - this is not just a general term and condition of QVC - but a rather important clause which if made clearly aware to the consumer in a transparent and open manner would assist them in making a balanced decision on their purchase. Otherwise I would aruge that the opaque way in which this area is managed (of which even their own staff can't give a coherent explanation), is clearly and preventing the consumer in making a BALANCED AND INFORMED decision as to whether they wish to purchase the items demonstrated, either in a singular number or several of for "friends, family, baby sitters, teachers etc ... etc " ....

Just a thought ...

Missy x

i think if anyone who has actually had the letter registered the details here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/gotastory/

and anyone else who is a QVC customer who hasnt had the letter but was concerned/confused about the policy did the same, Watchdog might take an interest.

worth a try anyway?

I suppose they get round "the rules" because although the letters relates to the 30 day mbg, they do honour that no quibble mbg. They're not saying that they won't pay the money back. They're withdrawing their offer of a customer account based on a level of returns rather than refusing to honour their publicised mbg.

Their mbg does go above and beyond that offered by most retailers. Products can be worn or used and still returned for a full refund. That's not the norm anywhere else that I'm aware of.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that this is right. I'm just trying to understand how this is deemed to be fair trading. And to understand why they clearly have a percentage returns level which becomes a problem.

I don't think it's right that anyone should feel unable to return an unwanted or incorrect or faulty item.

Of course if they joined the 21st century and allowed us fill out non receipt declarations and the the return slip online as well as the hard copy for the parcel, for some people this would be a big help. It might however be terribly inconvenient when it seems that "nobody reads the return slips" (which I certainly believe) is the get off the hook mantra.

I suppose they get round "the rules" because although the letters relates to the 30 day mbg, they do honour that no quibble mbg. They're not saying that they won't pay the money back. They're withdrawing their offer of a customer account based on a level of returns rather than refusing to honour their publicised mbg.

Their mbg does go above and beyond that offered by most retailers. Products can be worn or used and still returned for a full refund. That's not the norm anywhere else that I'm aware of.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that this is right. I'm just trying to understand how this is deemed to be fair trading. And to understand why they clearly have a percentage returns level which becomes a problem.

I don't think it's right that anyone should feel unable to return an unwanted or incorrect or faulty item.

i agree tink, and i think we have to remember that there WILL be people, and probably quite a lot, who completely take the p*ss with the MBG. Q sell an awful lot of consumables and the method of selling outside of the consumer credit act, on easy pay to anyone with a credit or debit card must mean they get a lot of "users" taking advantage. can you imagine some of the types who order this stuff, use it and send it back repeatedly having had no intention to pay? these are the people who QVC want to weed out and unfortunately in doing so some genuine customers will be affected. i dont have an issue with them closing peoples accounts if they dont want to do business any more, QVC is a business, theyre entitled to do business with whoever they like. what i DO have a problem with is the misleading of customers by the presenters who very much encourage people to "use and return". thats the thing that needs to be stopped as it encourages the wrong 'uns and this has a knock on effect on everyone.

For several years I have kept a record detailing purchases - dates and items - and the reasons for my returning any given item. A simple at-a-glance table enables me to identify those items returned which:-
1- were not fit for purpose
2- were defective
3- did not meet expectations based on details given on the web or by the sales presenters
4- were too large/ too small
5- caused a reaction to my skin
6- were sent in error
7- arrived too late
8- I just did not like

For any given time period ( 1 month,3 months, six months etc), I am able to work out the percentages of returns to purchases. By tabulation – categories along the top, and dates and purchases down the side – I am able to work out the percentages of ‘enforced’ returns – those falling within categories 1 to 7.

If ever QVC sent the letter, or called me, to query my returns, I would be in a position to counter QVC. In addition, should I wish to take the matter further with the appropriate bodies, I would be able to provide the detailed statistics supporting my case.

Rainbowdottie reported that a chap from QVC accounts had told her that QVC “couldn't possibly read every returned item slip", and that, in consequence, the reasons for returns were not taken into account when QVC compiled return rates. I find the statement by the QVC accounts chap hard to believe, given the automated nature of processes in QVC’s line of business, and given that QVC does ask customers to provide the information on the returns counterfoil. However, if it is true that QVC doesn't use the information on why customers are returning goods, then surely that would be a damning indictment of QVC's attitudes and practices.

fabulously organised Minne!

may i ask what you do for a living? im not being sarcy, i'm genuinely interested!

Hi, I'm a new poster, although I've been reading threads on here for some time. Finally felt compelled to contribute after reading this one, as I think it needs to be pointed out, (to QVC) that first and foremost QVC is a 'shopping channel' not a website or online store, and that any terms and conditions, including limits on returns should be made clear through their broadcasts as well as their website, as television is their primary medium. Also it's unfair to assume that everyone who watches has internet access. Just wanted to get that off my chest, thanks!

Don't see what the problem with this is really - QVC are telling you that as you have a certain number of retunrs then they would rather you did not buy from them as they are not able to make a profit from you due to the number of returns. QVC don't have to accept your trade if they don't wish to.

Don't see what the problem with this is really - QVC are telling you that as you have a certain number of retunrs then they would rather you did not buy from them as they are not able to make a profit from you due to the number of returns. QVC don't have to accept your trade if they don't wish to.

I think the issue is the fact that the presenters always hark on about using the MBG and buy buy buy and try try try and return if you dont want it yet they never mention that you could get 'struck off' if you use the MBG too much. And to be honest I agree with the peeps on here - QVC need to be more transparent with these kind of things!

Rich

I have a big issue with the way QVC gets it's data before sending out the letter. If they are disregarding why items have been returned (ie faulty, wrong item sent etc) they are guilty of punishing customers who are exercising their legal right to return items under the Sales of Goods Act. QVC are not above the law and it is their responsibility to ensure the data they have on a customer's returns is accurate before making accusations.

Using the Freedom of Information Act, if I got a letter I would demand QVC provided details of how they collated their statistics if they accused me of sending too much stuff back.

Just 2 more comments from me :sun:

TBH as much as I ranted and raved about my letter those years back - the answer to everything was- "its in our terms and conditions".End of - and at the end of the day,thats quite hard to argue with.Maybe I'm alone in that I rarely read the small print for anything :sweat: but I don't think that I am!!!

The final point I'd like to make is that when I did have my second call with QVC some years later after the letter,when I was asking him about my return rate - he was well aware of ST.com - and was my call the result of PPC's thread.I wouldn't be at all surprised if QVC could work out who we are - and note it on the account.Ok,someone who have to trawl through thousands and thousands of accounts - but for instance,I've already put on this thread,what I've purchased in the last two weeks.I used to regularly put oh I've bought this TSV in this colour.I don't think it would be too difficult to find us,if they wanted too.

Using the Freedom of Information Act, if I got a letter I would demand QVC provided details of how they collated their statistics if they accused me of sending too much stuff back.

Unfortunately the Freedom of Information Act only applies to public / government organisations and QVC are not required to disclose any info under this Act. However, the Data Protection Act relates to our own personal information so any of us should be able to get the information that is held relating to our own accounts.

QVC could very easily address the issue of return limits by putting 'Terms and conditions apply, see website for details' on screeen. I'm really surprised they don't do this. Also with many people not using the internet they must have a way of providing written T&C on request, which I never received on joining. I also believe that they should draw our attention to any changes in T&C.

Last edited:
The final point I'd like to make is that when I did have my second call with QVC some years later after the letter,when I was asking him about my return rate - he was well aware of ST.com - and was my call the result of PPC's thread.I wouldn't be at all surprised if QVC could work out who we are - and note it on the account.Ok,someone who have to trawl through thousands and thousands of accounts - but for instance,I've already put on this thread,what I've purchased in the last two weeks.I used to regularly put oh I've bought this TSV in this colour.I don't think it would be too difficult to find us,if they wanted too.

I'm not sure they'd bother, but why should it matter? We're entitled to voice our opinions about anything. Even if we slag QVC off, it shouldn't give them any more right to close our accounts, other than for the reasons stated in their T's and C's.

I don't think I'm suggesting that they'd close our accounts because of what we're write on here - but the guy was very "up" with forum and who and what was being said.

I meant as this could be just like a "clubcard":blush: - like a clubcard is nosey enough about your spending habits - QVc could be nosey enough to try and identify us and what we REALLY think:talking::sun:

I don't think I'm suggesting that they'd close our accounts because of what we're write on here - but the guy was very "up" with forum and who and what was being said.

I meant as this could be just like a "clubcard":blush: - like a clubcard is nosey enough about your spending habits - QVc could be nosey enough to try and identify us and what we REALLY think:talking::sun:

Well, if they really want to put that to good use, they could take our points about P&P, JF, JR etc etc etc, but of course they won't do that :(

But that is the problem! QVC are NOT telling us about these returns. When I opened my account with QVC no one ever said T&Cs applied, I was never sent anything in hard copy, never told to look at any website etc. and it certainly never appears on air in text form or verbally from presenters. There is nothing wrong in them refusing to trade with anyone, as is their right, but they must inform you of it before you start to trade with them. I forget the details now, but I'm sure it's in the Unfair Contract Terms Act that contract clauses cannot be enforced if you are not aware of them before you agree to the contract, regardless of whether or not you sign a piece of paper to say so.

Yesterday, Glen encouraged viewers to buy an Eastern Spirit top....wear it a couple of times and then if it did not feel right to keep it...then feel free to send it back!:down: Absolutely ridiculous advice.
I have had the letter due to my return rate on clothes............all have been sent back the next day, labels attached and never worn just tried on. I don't smell, my house is clean and I don't smoke. All were in perfect condition that could be resold...just like if you try on in a shop. I was fizzing when I got the letter and vowed not to buy from them again (although I am mad at myself for buying the l'occitane TSV last week)

I can understand the letter for people who take them at their word...buy, try a few times and then send back continuously, perhaps stinking of fags or covered in makeup. The answer is that items must be in a re-saleable condition just like if you take back to a shop and no returns on make up etc.

I once got a treatment product for my hair, capsules and on the presentation on TV they said you had to use them for the suggested period to get the results, so I used them as directed, all 15 or whatever it was. No results so sent back the rest of the shampoo that came with them within the 30 day MBG. You've guessed it , I got a letter from QVC saying I had abused the MBG. I wrote back saying I had only done exactly as they had said I could , and in fact should. needless to say no apology was forthcoming. It really causes huge offence as, like so many, I had spent thousands and had a low return rate at the point this letter was sent to me. It was counter productive anyway as it made me much more cynical about QVC and now I will send things back that previously I may have kept.

Latest posts

Back