Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Apparently part of the deal for Transport for London getting additional funding will be to ban the use of freedom passes during peak periods. I hope that doesnt apply to the buses as I need the 8-9 senior hour at Waitrose. They are free for everyone at the moment. I shall have to check if I have any money on my Oyster card.

My kind neighbour delivered my part of the Asda order today, everything except mineral water. I don't need any of that but threw it in because it is so heavy. I also got a call from the cleaning company to say they are resuming operations in June. They wear full PPE and I have to stay in a different room which is cool.

My partner wears the dust masks he bought to lay the attic insulation - in those days (last year!) they only came in packs of 10 so he still has 7 left. They're supposed to be disposable but I've made liners made from coffee filters to help prolong their life. He has been keeping clean if he's had to go shopping and I've hammered home how important it is that he uses sanitiser on his hands PROPERLY before removing them. I think he's now more germphobic than I ever was.

I've had nitrile gloves on my prescription for the last few years as I use a prescribed cream that's meant to kill the nerve endings in the areas I have nerve pain. I've been unable to get them for the last three months so am washing my hands with them on and drying them carefully so I can re-use.

It struck me that this will be the way I use them in the future so I'm not sending needless items to landfill.

Can I ask what hand sanitiser people use these days? We've recently been using a product made in Scotland called Dew. I think it might interest some of you here as it's not tested on animals, comes in refill packs so cuts waste and is biodegradable. I'm loving it - I bought their sanitiser for, well, santising and their Superclean for cleaning. I'm over the moon as I'm now able to clean my home myself without relying on my OH as it doesn't trigger my asthma or allergies. Not that I actually do much cleaning as I find it physically hard but I love being able to help him now.

Oh, the site is Dewproducts.co.uk for those wanting to look them up. I'm addicted to the faint smell of bleach I get when I initially spray it. It makes me feel like I'm cleaning properly even though there's no actual bleach in it. It reminds me of my childhood when my nan would use bleach, carbolic or green Fairy soap for just about everything (maybe that's why I have so many allergies and asthma these days but they're still fond memories).

My partner wears the dust masks he bought to lay the attic insulation - in those days (last year!) they only came in packs of 10 so he still has 7 left. They're supposed to be disposable but I've made liners made from coffee filters to help prolong their life. He has been keeping clean if he's had to go shopping and I've hammered home how important it is that he uses sanitiser on his hands PROPERLY before removing them. I think he's now more germphobic than I ever was.

I've had nitrile gloves on my prescription for the last few years as I use a prescribed cream that's meant to kill the nerve endings in the areas I have nerve pain. I've been unable to get them for the last three months so am washing my hands with them on and drying them carefully so I can re-use.

It struck me that this will be the way I use them in the future so I'm not sending needless items to landfill.

Can I ask what hand sanitiser people use these days? We've recently been using a product made in Scotland called Dew. I think it might interest some of you here as it's not tested on animals, comes in refill packs so cuts waste and is biodegradable. I'm loving it - I bought their sanitiser for, well, santising and their Superclean for cleaning. I'm over the moon as I'm now able to clean my home myself without relying on my OH as it doesn't trigger my asthma or allergies. Not that I actually do much cleaning as I find it physically hard but I love being able to help him now.

Oh, the site is Dewproducts.co.uk for those wanting to look them up. I'm addicted to the faint smell of bleach I get when I initially spray it. It makes me feel like I'm cleaning properly even though there's no actual bleach in it. It reminds me of my childhood when my nan would use bleach, carbolic or green Fairy soap for just about everything (maybe that's why I have so many allergies and asthma these days but they're still fond memories).
Thank you lovely, my order's on it's way. My mum had two great household loves - bleach & Dulux white emulsion; my sister has always said that her childhood smelled of bleach, mine was filled with the dratted odour of that paint!

I was in Home Bargains a few days ago and noticed they had lots of hand sanitizer in stock but boy the price of it has shot up from pre Covid days.
I buy the one in the link below which smells lovely and is hand made and cruelty free but I buy 2 large orders of various items a year from them so the £4.95 capped postage is worth it to me but I wouldn`t pay it for just one bottle of hand sanitizer.

Amazon has Cuticura Hand Sanitiser: 6 x 200ml for £14.94; free delivery for Prime customers.

Unfortunately, they don't deliver to Northern Ireland, as I tried to get some, for my mum.

I still have a bit of a stash, as pre-Covid I was buying the Bath & Bodyworks sanitisers from ebay, which were pricey for their size, but came in a great range of fragrances. I used to buy a batch, if I saw a fragrance I liked (such as Pumpkin Cupcake!), so I've still got some. Even those disappeared when Covid hit.

I was in Home Bargains a few days ago and noticed they had lots of hand sanitizer in stock but boy the price of it has shot up from pre Covid days.
I buy the one in the link below which smells lovely and is hand made and cruelty free but I buy 2 large orders of various items a year from them so the £4.95 capped postage is worth it to me but I wouldn`t pay it for just one bottle of hand sanitizer.
I am not sure how animal friendly or what the ingredients are but I got an email from yankee bundles where they had 12 bottles of 100ml over 60% at £20 with no p+p. I didn't look in more detail as I've just bought the l'occitane verbena ones 😊 maybe for those interested to have a peek at their site (and in case not aware amongst other things they now sell chocolate etc)

Thank you lovely, my order's on it's way. My mum had two great household loves - bleach & Dulux white emulsion; my sister has always said that her childhood smelled of bleach, mine was filled with the dratted odour of that paint!

I really hope you like it. I always get nervous when I rec something in case people are disappointed with it.

Can I ask what you ordered?

I'm not a fan of the smell of paint. Apart from not liking the smell, it'll trigger my asthma. My decorator was painting my next-door neighbour's house a few weeks ago and mentioned over the wall that if I want her to paint she can now use an additive that makes the paint smell of parma violets! I love parma violets so I'm very tempted. Our plan is to book into the local Travelodge in case I can't cope with the smell, though, so it'll have to wait.

My mum would paint at least some rooms every year with Dulux. She'd cut an onion in half and put it in a bowl of water swearing it would kill the smell but it always got through to my nose.

I really hope you like it. I always get nervous when I rec something in case people are disappointed with it.

Can I ask what you ordered?

I'm not a fan of the smell of paint. Apart from not liking the smell, it'll trigger my asthma. My decorator was painting my next-door neighbour's house a few weeks ago and mentioned over the wall that if I want her to paint she can now use an additive that makes the paint smell of parma violets! I love parma violets so I'm very tempted. Our plan is to book into the local Travelodge in case I can't cope with the smell, though, so it'll have to wait.

My mum would paint at least some rooms every year with Dulux. She'd cut an onion in half and put it in a bowl of water swearing it would kill the smell but it always got through to my nose.
I bought Starter Pack A & the 2.5L hand sanitiser refill with 3 small bottles, we'll have one each & I'll give the other 2 + half the refill bottle to our daughter & son in law, both work in schools & she's been on a rota teaching the children of key workers throughout house arrest. The fact that once opened it lasts 6 months is fantastic as are all the other aspects. I think many of us worry about recommendations but this has fab reviews & you obviously know your onions about products that cause you problems. Talking of onions I did the half one in water trick when we had the hall, stairs & landing done last year, I could still smell it & had a headache for days 🌷

My friend has just ordered 12 90ml bottles from a local brewery for nearly £40!

I'm very dubious about the efficacy of the ones that are popping up willy nilly. I'd read a few articles about anti-viral hand gels last summer in preparation for Noro season. I had it once and never want it again, especially as my health has been getting worse.

My nephew works in America for a company that provides various alcohols to different sectors and sent me articles and advice for getting the best protection from viruses. Apparently bacteria is a doddle to kill compared to viruses but to be effective the alcohol has to be the absolute correct percentage for the alcohol used and these vary. The "above 60%" is a good rule of thumb but not the total rule. If it's OVER another % (again depending on whether ethanol or isopropyl is used) it's NOT as effective and won't destroy a virus.

I'd luckily stocked up on small Carex gels before winter but not used much as I'd gone out a lot less than I usually do so still got some left. I'll still use it as I'm a belt-and-braces gal so wash my hands with Dew then give another rub with Carex when it's dried (the Carex does say it works for 2 hours which helps). My partner just eye-rolls me and will grab either and be happy with it. I wish I was more relaxed about Covid but it freaks me out even more than the thought of Noro and I'm bad enough over that.

I bought Starter Pack A & the 2.5L hand sanitiser refill with 3 small bottles, we'll have one each & I'll give the other 2 + half the refill bottle to our daughter & son in law, both work in schools & she's been on a rota teaching the children of key workers throughout house arrest. The fact that once opened it lasts 6 months is fantastic as are all the other aspects. I think many of us worry about recommendations but this has fab reviews & you obviously know your onions about products that cause you problems. Talking of onions I did the half one in water trick when we had the hall, stairs & landing done last year, I could still smell it & had a headache for days 🌷

You have my sympathy about the paint-induced headache.

The small bottles are fab - I've not had any trouble with them nor had bad reports from people I've given them to. I have the air freshener too and absolutely love that as it's a fine mist as I can spray on my partner's face before he puts his mask on as well as using it to refresh fabrics and use as an air "disinfectant" if it's stale (especially in the car).

After I'd sprayed his face he mentioned (after initially freaking out at my excessive germ-phobia again) that his eyes felt a lot better. He'd recently had conjunctivitis in one eye but thought the Dew helped so sprayed some on a cotton pad and used it to clean his eye. We both think it cleared the conjunctivitis quicker than normal (he has a problem tear duct so gets it quite a lot).

I had a swollen gum recently and rang the dentist as it was bleeding. I'd read you can use it as a mouthwash so asked him. He said to dilute it 50/50 with water and was pleased to see I was using it rather than Corsodyl as he knows I have problems with that too. It worked a treat and cleared the problem in a few days where I usually use Corsodyl for a month.

I'll also be keeping it handy for my dog. I'd been using a product called Leucillin on any cuts or wounds (he's a rough and tumble Springer that gets walked in the forestry or up mountains so often comes back like the walking wounded). It's a tenner a bottle and has a very short shelf-life. Well, Dew is exactly the same stuff! I'll be saving a fortune!

I marked the dates on my bottles (and the ones I gave away) with a Sharpie just to make sure it gets used in time Yeah, right! The way I'm going through it? I'll be lucky if I'm not re-ordering in a few weeks.

I still really hope you love it. My partner was downright disbelieving that it works as it really is just like water apart from that lovely faint whiff of bleach you get initially. But I've cleaned some grubby smelly stuff out from his shed (a lunchbox with a month old sarnie left in it amongst other things). It got rid of the awful smell in that in seconds so it definitely works. I've used the Superclean on a grease stain on a t-shirt too. Grease stain gone but no bleaching of the fabric.

Amazing stuff.

I got some masks shortly after the lockdown and bought a box of 100 latex gloves a fortnight ago. I’ve not worn either, preferring to wash my hands and spray work surfaces if I’ve had a delivery and have put it down while unpacking it. Nor do I wipe down shopping etc. I just pack it away. I do however use a 70% sanitising gel when I get back into the car, before driving home, and wash my hands before and after dealing with the shopping. If I haven’t been out, I just wash my hands the normal amount of times that I did before all this started, unless I get a delivery.

I will only wear a mask if we are instructed to do so but, at the moment, because I don’t use public transport or go into busy shops I don’t need to. The gloves will be used when I’m decorating or doing messy jobs in the garden so they won’t go to waste.

As I live alone, I haven’t got to worry about bringing anything into the house which might endanger them.
I use anti bac,bleach or disenfectant to wipe down all my shopping, the cupboard door I've taken it from. Then all door handles then the worktops. If we have to go to a supermarket hands are cleansed with gel and door handles and the steering wheel are all cleaned. I have got myself into a real paranoid state.

You have my sympathy about the paint-induced headache.

The small bottles are fab - I've not had any trouble with them nor had bad reports from people I've given them to. I have the air freshener too and absolutely love that as it's a fine mist as I can spray on my partner's face before he puts his mask on as well as using it to refresh fabrics and use as an air "disinfectant" if it's stale (especially in the car).

After I'd sprayed his face he mentioned (after initially freaking out at my excessive germ-phobia again) that his eyes felt a lot better. He'd recently had conjunctivitis in one eye but thought the Dew helped so sprayed some on a cotton pad and used it to clean his eye. We both think it cleared the conjunctivitis quicker than normal (he has a problem tear duct so gets it quite a lot).

I had a swollen gum recently and rang the dentist as it was bleeding. I'd read you can use it as a mouthwash so asked him. He said to dilute it 50/50 with water and was pleased to see I was using it rather than Corsodyl as he knows I have problems with that too. It worked a treat and cleared the problem in a few days where I usually use Corsodyl for a month.

I'll also be keeping it handy for my dog. I'd been using a product called Leucillin on any cuts or wounds (he's a rough and tumble Springer that gets walked in the forestry or up mountains so often comes back like the walking wounded). It's a tenner a bottle and has a very short shelf-life. Well, Dew is exactly the same stuff! I'll be saving a fortune!

I marked the dates on my bottles (and the ones I gave away) with a Sharpie just to make sure it gets used in time Yeah, right! The way I'm going through it? I'll be lucky if I'm not re-ordering in a few weeks.

I still really hope you love it. My partner was downright disbelieving that it works as it really is just like water apart from that lovely faint whiff of bleach you get initially. But I've cleaned some grubby smelly stuff out from his shed (a lunchbox with a month old sarnie left in it amongst other things). It got rid of the awful smell in that in seconds so it definitely works. I've used the Superclean on a grease stain on a t-shirt too. Grease stain gone but no bleaching of the fabric.

Amazing stuff.

My Springer often comes out from under bushes etc looking like a Christmas tree. Once home, & after he's had a face wipe, I can feel loads of little thorns in his skin, which of course I pull out. He gets in & under everything on his walks, & often returns from bushes with a loaf of bread/shoe/dead animal (pre killed) but nearly always a ball. He is amazing at sniffing them out. You can tell when he has a 'scent' because his behaviour/body language totally changes. Tail goes mad, nose even closer to the ground than normal & he starts 'popping' with his mouth & big flappy chops. Spaniel owners will know this sound.

I use anti bac,bleach or disenfectant to wipe down all my shopping, the cupboard door I've taken it from. Then all door handles then the worktops. If we have to go to a supermarket hands are cleansed with gel and door handles and the steering wheel are all cleaned. I have got myself into a real paranoid state.

I made my own spray - half water/half bleach. I do spray the door handle and the work surfaces if I've put the shopping bag or a package on it, but I don’t wipe down my shopping or parcels.

I usually put gel (70% alcohol) on my hands when I get back into the car after shopping and wipe the steering wheel with any surplus. I also use it after washing my hands (a double whammy.)

I live on my own and so there’s only me to consider when I’m at home. As I said earlier, I don’t wear a mask but have some if needed. My son does wear one and latex gloves when he goes to the shops because he does my ex’ shopping so doesn’t want to put him at risk.

I’m not paranoid about the virus but always follow the advice we’ve been given when I go out. The worse bit for me is that I haven’t seen my partner since this kicked off, as we don’t live together.

A little lad, aged 9, who lives next door to me, went to A&E yesterday and his mum texted me to let me know he was being tested for Covid 19. He was kept in overnight and they’re still not home yet and so I don’t know whether his result was positive or negative.

Thankfully I haven’t seen them since the lockdown, but knowing he might have it brings it a lot closer to home (literally.) She has two other children, his twin and a little girl, so I really hope that for her sake that his test comes back negative or they’ll have to go into quarantine.

You are all making me feel very lack a daisy.

Never use liquid soap, solid bar soap all the way for me. I do spray my trolley handle when I go into the supermarket. Come home put the shopping away in the fridge or freezer then just go wash my hands with the bar of soap. Some places do have hand sanitizer when you into the shop and I have a quick go and then continue to shop. When I am washing my floors before I do use the bleach and Dettol mix in the water and wash down my stair rails which are inside the front door handle outside and in. That is once a week.

So far all this has worked for me. Oh, I have received parcels I ordered from Amazon and eBay I do unpack throw the packing in the bin then wash my hands.

I'm signing out for a while. I'm really struggling with every aspect of this situation & don't want my posts to be constantly negative. Life can give us all some dark times, however, this crisis has taken away my hope & that's never happened to me before. Look after yourselves & those you love - humans & animals. ❤

Latest posts

Back