shame on you, people who hate basso and yet eat meat and wear leather

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

your hypocrisy knows no limits.

go visit an abbattoir - where your dinner is being prepared - then come back and tell me the difference.

QUOTE=BurlyBeaR;339933]your hypocrisy knows no limits.

go visit an abbattoir - where your dinner is being prepared - then come back and tell me the difference.[/QUOTE]

It's people like you who give vegetarians really bad name.That bloated old queen, is happy to trade in animals that are killed for one purpose and one purpose only..to make fur coats ,yet both he an QVC would have you think that he's a goody guy,only flogging fake fur.
I've been a vegetarian for most tof my adult life and I haven't got any probelm whatsoever with animals being reared and killed for food. I do however find it loathsome that they are reared,stunned and killed to make some woman or man for that matter a nice coat.
As far I'm concerned there is nothing at all that's hypocritical about what any of the anti Basso people are saying..and as I said ,I am a vegetarian and have been for 30 odd years,and I'm a pretty enlightened person .
Basso is a loathsome pig.

I don't believe anyone is trying to make feel you guilty.By all means,enjoy your steak,enjoy your roast's.
By the same token those meat-eaters who wish to bleat incessantly about what a vile scum-bag Basso is,they should also let people enjoy their fur or faux or at least take OWNERSHIP of the hypocrisy.

How many years now have you all been banging on about how this man is Lucifer,the devil incarnate and everything that is wrong with planet earth??What have you accomplished?Yes,you've made some who weren't aware of his trade aware but for every 100 customers you've lost him I'm sure he's scored a 1000 more.
If you are truly committed to wiping him off the face of the earth,how about a group of you go down to QVC towers with banners every time he's on,flood them with angry T-calls(there are ways to get through the screening process if you're clever) and texts messages,write letters and e-mails every week,alert the media,because you're only preaching to the choir here.

By the way,I have two Dennis Basso coats and I bought them with the full knowledge that he is in the real fur trade.And let me tell you they are the warmest things this side of creation,even compared to some other garments I have from companies like NorthFace,which are made for actual artic expeditions!!,I have suffered winters in North America which have rendered me mute,NOTHING has ever kept me as warm as one of his coats.

So I would recommend.

Well I'm off to bed now,would be nice if this thread wasn't locked by the time I woke-up,be refreshing just to have some adult discourse on this subject without being shot down.

Here's living in hope....

If not not,bye-bye and see you in a different thread.:)

Is it just a turn of phrase when you say all? otherwise I'm not sure who you mean - it probably doesn't matter but it wouldn't be fair to generalise ST.commers into one category - from this thread, lots of peeps have different opinions about this matter.

Well you already have a thread about that,this is the flip side of the argument,is noone allowed that here?
Anyone can say what they like in any thread and if you had been a member here for longer you would already know that.

Anyway,yes I'd like to see that banner up also,it could read something like this "BAN BOYCOTT&BE-HEAD BUTCHER BASSO!",at least it would be something substantial instead of all this hot air.
That headline would suit me just fine and like minded people expressing their opinions is not hot air, however you saying it is smacks of pure arrogance on your part. :rolleyes:

Late stage (human) abortion is acceptable to many, perhaps because the mother is left intact?

Many medical research techniques depend in a supply of aborted (human)foetuses for fetal stem-cells. This research benefits us.

Not saying this makes fur-collection moral, but many of us are able to fudge the morality when it suits us - not just rich people in furs.

a lot of stem cell research is done via placentas, which are a left over product from giving birth, and would preciously have been thrown away ( or used in cosmetics)

QUOTE=BurlyBeaR;339933]your hypocrisy knows no limits.

go visit an abbattoir - where your dinner is being prepared - then come back and tell me the difference.

It's people like you who give vegetarians really bad name.That bloated old queen, is happy to trade in animals that are killed for one purpose and one purpose only..to make fur coats ,yet both he an QVC would have you think that he's a goody guy,only flogging fake fur.
I've been a vegetarian for most tof my adult life and I haven't got any probelm whatsoever with animals being reared and killed for food. I do however find it loathsome that they are reared,stunned and killed to make some woman or man for that matter a nice coat.
As far I'm concerned there is nothing at all that's hypocritical about what any of the anti Basso people are saying..and as I said ,I am a vegetarian and have been for 30 odd years,and I'm a pretty enlightened person .
Basso is a loathsome pig.[/QUOTE]
****************************************************************************************************
Clearly,I should be asleep by now,but can't.....sooooo....

Being a "bloated old queen"doesn't automatically make someone a a bad person does it?,coz if that's the criteria,quite frankly there would be no ST.COM and or.....Burlybear's thread.So maybe just stick to the facts of this man,without getting too het up with the disparaging remarks.

Is it just a turn of phrase when you say all? otherwise I'm not sure who you mean - it probably doesn't matter but it wouldn't be fair to generalise ST.commers into one category - from this thread, lots of peeps have different opinions about this matter.

When I say "all",I'm speaking of the BAN BASSO BRIGADE,who would like to see him crucified,hung drawn and quartered,then put in wood chipper,you know?? the moderates.:mysmilie_17:

That headline would suit me just fine and like minded people expressing their opinions is not hot air, however you saying it is smacks of pure arrogance on your part. :rolleyes:

Yes,I'll try to remember you said that when anyone concurs with my opinion.

Anyway,get that banner up toute suite,I cannot wait to see it and I mean that sincerely,actions speak louder....

I am not a hypercrite - i have been to a chicken factory - and have every respect for what a chicken has to go through, so you can have it for your sunday roast!

The final year at our school, we had career options, and someone really thoughtful, thought we may actually enjoy a day out to the local chicken farm! It was the most distressing thing I have EVER witnessed in my entire life. There were lorry loads of caged chickens, and people grabbing these chickens out of their cages and placing them upside down into these claw clamps, the said chicken then when through this device that "electrocuted" it - i didnt see any sign of these chickens being dead - then someone slashed at their throats - all the while there are these chickens suspended upside down, moving around on a conveyor type belt - some are still clucking! I kid you not! The smell in that factory is foul, it stinks of blood, chicken shite and bleach - the noise is unbearable! and around every corner - you were faced with more traumaitc scenes - the feathers being removed - the birds were in a thing like a huge washing maching/tumble drier - and then the gut removing department!!! and then just as you thought you couldnt take any more, the "tour" ended - you had to hand back your white jacket and the wellies, and a paper hat - mine was covered in blood! they thanked you for attending, and hoped you would consider working in their factory!!! and as we left they gave us a chicken portion!!!! On the coach home we STANK the bus out - my shirt collar had blood on it! and i stank - i gave the portion to my mum - and she asked me if i would like it for tea! After what I told her - it wasnt eaten! And still today, I cannot look at chicken portions, especially with the skin, and a few feathers attached - it makes me puke - when I see all the chicken portions in places like tesco, it makes you feel, as you know what they had to go through to get on your table. All that happened to me when i was 16! many years ago now, and it still haunts me! So yes, I do think about what has gone into making a pair of shoes, or a jacket, or a handbag - but i dont tend to buy real leather - not when you can by manmade - I eat meat - but I know what an abbatoir is too - as joy of joys the school took us to one too - I never made it past the main door - smelled to much like a mortuary - and yes I know what one of those smell like too -

Can't you all just picture the OP sitting back and having a bit of laugh at his inflammatory post?

I'm all for debate but...you can just feel the satisfaction coming out of someone's laptop, no?

I for one was quite surprised at Burlz coming out with such an old chestnut, as his threads are usually extremely clever and witty, I'm not saying that he shouldn't have a "serious" opinion but I expected more than this...sorry Burlz!

It's an age old debate, usually pointed at vegetarians who wear leather shoes. The bottom line with the fur trade is that it exists for vanity's sake alone, not for nutrition, or necessity.

The crux of the Basso debate is that QVC state that they don't condone cruel practices, but in a round about way they are, because every sale of a Basso faux fur helps line his pockets and helps to fund the larger part of his business, which is in the fur trade. It's the fact that QVC don't seem to recognise that because they're only selling his fake stuff that they are helping to support his other vicious and dispicable practices. I wouldn't buy one of his garments because I know what I know, and we just think it's fair to let other customers make informed choices....The fact he doesn't look very appealing (to say the least) makes it easier to make nasty comments, I guess that's a bit naughty of us...but it doesn't half help that he looks like an overgrown slug lol!

Let's keep it simple, whatever your opinion knowledge is power.
1) Basso does condone sick practices in the main part of his business.
2) QVC do go on about how their body and make up products are cruelty free.
Nobody of sound mind can deny these points.
Let's make our points on QVC facebook and get a banner on this site to inform people.

What I personally find difficult to accept is animal lovers like Catherine, Pippa and Julia going on about his coats when they are supposedly dedicated animal lovers (why don't they refuse to do his shows?) And animal mad Alison going on about how make up will go great with your Basso pieces etc. Maybe another way is to get to the presenters that some of you are 'friends' with on facebook?

Can't you all just picture the OP sitting back and having a bit of laugh at his inflammatory post?

I'm all for debate but...you can just feel the satisfaction coming out of someone's laptop, no?

I don't care what the motivation for BB's post was. If it makes only one person aware of Basso and his foul practises then it's a worthy post.
As an aside (as the thread has veered that way) I rarely eat meat and know in my heart that use of animals for food, attire and medical advancement is wrong wrong wrong. I freely and ashamedly admit to hypocrisy.
Just because animals don't have a voice doesn't mean it's right to use them in the way we do. But we do and we will because so many people justify it and it's acceptable and world economies thrive on it. One day like child chimney sweeps, slavery and smoking in a pub, it won't be. Bring it on.

I don't think it's a "boring" post,there are folk on here who have contrary opinions who are too scared to voice them once the Ban Basso Brigade start bloviating!
I am not one of those people.
Firstly these animals which Basso breeds for his business are bred for that sole purpose,they wouldn't have ordinarily become pets,nor are they in danger of becoming extinct.
The same way that salmon and chicken are bred like maggots for you lot to eat!
I haven't eaten meat or fish for 20 years but I'm not pontificating every two minutes about what a vile trade it is....and oh the suffering,yadda,yadda.
The bottom line is I'm not Inuit neither do I live in Siberia,so I would never wear a real fur coat,however,to each his own.If Basso was making his garments from actual tiger skins and giraffes,I could understand why folk would be foaming at the mouth.
Bottom line is as much as I adore animals I'm far more concerned and interested in a decent quality of life for HUMAN BEINGS.
I'm sure most of the folk who make the sweat shop items some of you have coveted of late would relish the quick death that Basso's animals have endured.Coz I'm sure these humans are having a brilliant life working 19 hour days,for 4pence an hour,with inadequate toilet facilities,constant threats of beatings,impossible quotas,no breaks etc,I'm sure they're having a dandy old time.
Dare I even mention the organ harvesting which is going on in Haiti right now?,you won't see that on CNN will you?,but no,people want to get their knickers in all kinds of twists about some ****** fur!

Jokers!

:mysmilie_687:

In 80% of the planet there is no respect for human life and dignity. People are systematically tortured, killed, abused, starved, etc, at will. I should have really said 100%; it is also happening in the advanced world. I am fortunate or unfortunate enough to have this as part of my job. In the greater scheme of things, Basso is an angel.
It is a dream of mine that one day humanity will reach a stage of civilisation that humans will respect life in general, human, animal or otherwise.
I do not wear fur, real or faux, not part of my world. But launching a targeted, hate campaign against an individual is savagery. Campaigning for (animal) rights, on the other hand, is something I welcome.
And please, do not put any effort into attacking my post as well, this is my first and last contribution on the matter.

I would like to thank BB for starting this post because it has made me reflect on my own opinions about how as humans we mistreat animals for lots of different purposes. The fur-trade is probably at the top-end of the cruelty scale and because of that I don't think I'd ever be tempted to buy real fur. But does that mean that I would shun all products sold by companies that are involved in that trade? Lots of the big fashion houses produce fur-related fashion but does that stop me buying their liptick or perfume or shirt - no I don't think it does? Also we don't expect to be informed that the fashion houses are involved in the fur-trade when we go to buy a lipstick in Boots or a dress in a Dept store - so why should QVC have to announce it? So for that reason I am not going to be joining the Ban Basso brigade.

Also can the person who referred to him as a 'queen' please refrain from using homophobic terms in their future posts.

I would like to thank BB for starting this post because it has made me reflect on my own opinions about how as humans we mistreat animals for lots of different purposes. The fur-trade is probably at the top-end of the cruelty scale and because of that I don't think I'd ever be tempted to buy real fur. But does that mean that I would shun all products sold by companies that are involved in that trade? Lots of the big fashion houses produce fur-related fashion but does that stop me buying their liptick or perfume or shirt - no I don't think it does? Also we don't expect to be informed that the fashion houses are involved in the fur-trade when we go to buy a lipstick in Boots or a dress in a Dept store - so why should QVC have to announce it? So for that reason I am not going to be joining the Ban Basso brigade.

Also can the person who referred to him as a 'queen' please refrain from using homophobic terms in their future posts.

Other Jude, a reasoned post.

thank you.

Jude xx

I've been vegan for about 25 years and I don't wear leather, nor do I carry a leather handbag. I feel very strongly about animal issues and for me it's a purely ethical choice. I know that I'm in a minority and I realise very few people are ever going to feel the way I do, but I have never felt that my life is more or less important than any other living, sentient creature; and I don't say this lightly, since I have a terminal illness which will carry me away before too long. I have, no doubt, taken medication which has been tested on animals, and I feel very unhappy about this and, as a result, have taken part in medical trials for treatment regimes which I hope will help to give a clearer picture about the effects of certain chematherapeutic drugs on the human body. Like Petpixie, I look forward to a day when things are different, though I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime - although if it happens before next Tuesday, I could be wrong...

I think the whole point about Mr Basso and others in a similar role, is that it's important that the facts are made available in order that consumers can make informed choices. After that, if people wish to buy from him then that is their prerogative.

Yes,it is true.And the part of the article which got me(amongst many other things)is the fact that vets and Meat Health Inspectors are being intimidated by abattoir staff all over the UK,so even though there are measures in place to protect animals,unless you have them CCTV monitored 24/7, all manner of cruel things can and will happen to these animals when noone is looking.

As for rearing your own,well I'm the opposite of you,if I did eat meat I would be more inclined to eat one I raised myself coz at least I could thank it for it's sacrifice and it would no doubt taste a whole lot better not having lived a life of pure terror and trauma.

My Step-daughter; the Vet was telling us just last week of a wee dog she has as a patient, who appears in wee outfits; expensive posey things, but who needs a blood test to confirm the diagnosis that she and all the vets at the practice are 99% sure of, the owner, who crys copioiously at her wee dogs' distress still after weeks hasn't found the money (£35) for said test :mysmilie_11:

I'm also a beef farmers' wife, we farm in the North-east of Scotland; on land that would not produce a human food crop, the best we can manage is some barley for the whiskey trade except our beef and lamb

In the last 13 Xmas's we've had 2 that have been put on hold whilst our cattles' welfare has come 1st; the first time when his boys were 11 & 13 and still full of Xmas joys

My husband this last month has been up at 4am, to go to his other job, clearing the roads of the feet of snow we've had up here, so worked a 60hour week and farmed, feeding and bedding our cattle, some who want to play tag, or get ears scratched, some who want to bite; plus feeding the sheep by hand lugging hay to the sheep at the bottom of our farm road in temperatures which on a couple of days didn't get above -10, down a road so frozen that I came the last 300yrds home from shopping on friday on my hands and knees; having got the car stuck, in danger of going through the fence into the sheep, therefore releasing them to the danger of the road.

All this for £200 a week, with this we are to eat and clothe and do holidays, (luckily we have my disabilty benefits) we eat meat, probably far less than most, and a joint of beef is a planned purchase, and I can make a chicken 8 meals

I have to add I didn't know Basso dealt in furs, (I'd think knowing the price 40yrs ago, he wouldn't need funding from his other stuff) but this thread has changed my view on him (I like his trailers, I'm originally from the Isle of Man and I get to see home) but please, can the all meat farming is cruel and oppresive and a waste of good land twaddle so often sprouted stop; my Husband is a farmer because it's what he is, it truely isn't for the cash, and if we could produce something that doesn't mean the hours in snow and rain and freezing cold and being tied to the place than beef farming means, and made us some money, he would

The saddest thing about reading this thread is the 'bashing' from both sides. This is like a bunch of kids at junior school. References like the 'bloated queen' and 'ban basso brigade' don't contribute to the discussion.

We all have a choice to buy or not to buy, but it has to be an informed choice. Once you have made your choice you should not be critisized or lambasted for it.

I saw on QI that whenever the Nazi's arementioned in internet threads, that's the time it should close.....don't know if that qualifies!!

Latest posts

Back