Ruth Langsford TSV 12/09/20

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Sadly the manufacturing industry died decades ago. Most big brands always made their fashions here. Then a number of factors created the perfect storm, rising cost of cotton, wage rises, the emergence of far East countries and cheap labour, and slowly the factories here shut down as it wasn't cost effective. Now we have a country that barely manufactures anything, its all IT and service industries - and we even import staff to man those ! Couple that with throwaway fashion - how can we compete anyway with making a T shirt that sells for £4 ???

When I was a teenager there were dozens and dozens of factories manufacturing everything from rubber ducks to toys and swimsuits, so massive of jobs and opportunities available if you weren't of the genius standard required to get to University. Not anymore.

Sadly the manufacturing industry died decades ago. Most big brands always made their fashions here. Then a number of factors created the perfect storm, rising cost of cotton, wage rises, the emergence of far East countries and cheap labour, and slowly the factories here shut down as it wasn't cost effective. Now we have a country that barely manufactures anything, its all IT and service industries - and we even import staff to man those ! Couple that with throwaway fashion - how can we compete anyway with making a T shirt that sells for £4 ???

When I was a teenager there were dozens and dozens of factories manufacturing everything from rubber ducks to toys and swimsuits, so massive of jobs and opportunities available if you weren't of the genius standard required to get to University. Not anymore.

Yes, it seems that university is a "given right for passage" for youngsters these days, in my day you had to be a bit special (not in the way that means nowadays either). Of my school friends none of us have been to uni...I'm guessing had we be born a few decades later then we all would have done. This is a story for another day I think!

Over the years there have been many people I`ve known who worked in manufacturing. When I was a young Mum there was a lady who worked in a towelling factory making nappies and towels and she could buy what they called seconds. She used to make a fortune on the side by buying these seconds and selling them on to friends and family.
Mr V`s sister left school and then worked in a sewing factory making shirts and staff could buy them straight from the factory floor at knockdown prices. Mr V who was about 19 at the time said he had a wardrobe full.
My late first husband when we first married worked on the maintenance crew repairing machinery for a whole bunch of factories and they made lino floor coverings and also made carpets. Our first home back in 1974 was fitted out with off cuts and ends of rolls.
My Mum used to buy bags of broken biscuits from someone who worked in the biscuit factory and my oldest son was fed tinned baby food made by Heinz and anybody working there could buy a sack full of them but the only downside was they didn`t have labels so it was always a guess what you were opening.
My dad worked opposite the factory which back then made Vimto cordial and he used chat to the guys on the gates and they`s slip him several bottles. Back in the 50`s and 60`s they used to stack crates of it in the factory yard.
There was always somebody who knew somebody who worked where whatever you needed was being made and could get it for you.

We have come to a sad state of affairs in this country. The economy of the UK is completely unbalanced by geography and industry. Too high a proportion of it is in intangible sectors like banking, insurance, finance and investment.

Countries with more balanced ecomomies, which don't neglect manufacturing, are more robust and weather the global storms better. You wouldn't catch the Americans, Germans or Japanese abandoning manufacturing on home soil, yet we not only did that, but put most of our stategic infrastructure and utilities on sale to the highest bidder... They must think we are idiots.

I'm afraid that we have had governments of all hues presiding over this sorry state of affairs, which has effectively trained us all to only consider price and to disregard supporting our own industries. I don't want to be protectionist, but you can't help others if you can't help yourself.

Sadly for all our wanting to protect UK jobs none want to pay the price for the goods.

We seem to have nothing but takeaway coffee shops which is why everyone has a phone glued to one hand and a coffee cup glued to the other. I see people a 5 min car ride from home to work where there are coffee making facilities yet they walk from work car park to coffee place and back to work holding the cup like it has the elixir of life in it.

I vaguely remember us going from school on a visit to on of the Factories where I grew up , think it was the knicker Factory.

[:mad:] My friend and her husband are in their sixties, both working, and both fed up with working, not because of the hours or amount of work but because theysay people don't know how to work any more. It's all about getting the job done quickly, not necessarily well, so you hit your targets with scant regard to quality. Our educational system has a lot to answer for. Far too much emphasis is on expressing opinions learned by answering questions in 500 words that can be answered in a sentence - see how our politicians bluster and fluff - and they're good at it because they've been trained. We need people to do a proper job and we need to bring back our manufacturing skills. University shouldn't be for all. Practical skills should be valued as much as academic skills. Put trainee nurses back on the wards to learn more practical skills and save NHS budgets. (Big bugbear of mine. We have nurses in our family). Value their skills for what they are, not as an academic study. [/:mad:]

Apologies. This subject touches a raw nerve.

There's a proper "ding dong" going on over on FB regarding the negative comments about Ruth's jumper..surprisingly nobody's mentioned the made in China aspect...but ffs can't these people get a grip? A couple of women have been arguing into the night about how if you don't like something you should keep quiet and scroll on by, which was met with if you don't like the comments, you should keep quiet and scroll on by. One said feedback is good, the other said calling something frumpy and tight is hurtful ...OMG! What I love about being on here as that as far as Q fashion is concerned, we're all pretty much in agreement, that it's hideously overpriced, it's frumpy, and unflattering . If you say that Ruth's got "helmet hair" or JK's hair looks like it's been borrowed from a shop dummy from a 1970's shop window display, that's fine too - Love it! What's more, if there is something we like...we'll say, and don't get all uppity about it. In my opinion, apart from the obvious (the ridiculous price) Ruth's tsv is frumpy, despite the edgy zips. The colours, the pattern and the V neck..No doubt it'll be on waitlist before the tsv comes to air!
Looks like most of the fb comments have been deleted...I think there's a lot of people who need to get themselves over here and say it how it is!

One wet Saturday in early April we cleared out & organised our understairs cupboard, I didn't find my 1980s Laura Ashley dresses but did rescue two coats, one needing new buttons. All buttons are now made in Qiaotou, China & it's known as the button capital of the world. I went on a search for non-Chinese buttons & found second hand ones, they were cheaper than new ones & are beautiful. I had the time to look for these, not everyone has that & would just get a set regardless of where they were made.

JK's had a new "do"!

Attachments

• jk.jpg
    jk.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 80
There's a proper "ding dong" going on over on FB regarding the negative comments about Ruth's jumper..surprisingly nobody's mentioned the made in China aspect...but ffs can't these people get a grip? A couple of women have been arguing into the night about how if you don't like something you should keep quiet and scroll on by, which was met with if you don't like the comments, you should keep quiet and scroll on by. One said feedback is good, the other said calling something frumpy and tight is hurtful ...OMG! What I love about being on here as that as far as Q fashion is concerned, we're all pretty much in agreement, that it's hideously overpriced, it's frumpy, and unflattering . If you say that Ruth's got "helmet hair" or JK's hair looks like it's been borrowed from a shop dummy from a 1970's shop window display, that's fine too - Love it! What's more, if there is something we like...we'll say, and don't get all uppity about it. In my opinion, apart from the obvious (the ridiculous price) Ruth's tsv is frumpy, despite the edgy zips. The colours, the pattern and the V neck..No doubt it'll be on waitlist before the tsv comes to air!
Looks like most of the fb comments have been deleted...I think there's a lot of people who need to get themselves over here and say it how it is!
I have a Roman Originals shop nearby and pre covid I would regularly call in to browse or to try on something. I got to know the staff fairly well and though I would never be rude I often gave them negative feedback on a style, fabric or fit of something. The Manager said it helped her because when a certain item wasn`t selling well or some particular item was being frequently returned she could feed it back. She said shop Managers are regularly questioned on the sales figures and stock quantities and if they hold 10 of a particular item and 3 months later 9 of them are still unsold then the Company know it isn`t popular and will reduce the price or put it in a sale. QVC should welcome feedback both positive and negative.

So agree with you Merryone. I know we have a really low opinion of Q but I hope anyone who does like something isn’t intimidated into not being able express that opinion.

We don’t all always agree with each other, I know I don’t, but heck it’s like friends you either express an opinion and talk it out or decide it’s not worth getting anyone’s knickers in a twist over and pass on by.

It’s the “defend Q to the death” brigade I don’t get. I’m happy to say back in the day I got some lovely stuff, including clothes, a few duds mostly my fault for being stupid but now the presenters, BA, choice of stock is so awful I can’t even watch never mind buy. I

I have a Roman Originals shop nearby and pre covid I would regularly call in to browse or to try on something. I got to know the staff fairly well and though I would never be rude I often gave them negative feedback on a style, fabric or fit of something. The Manager said it helped her because when a certain item wasn`t selling well or some particular item was being frequently returned she could feed it back. She said shop Managers are regularly questioned on the sales figures and stock quantities and if they hold 10 of a particular item and 3 months later 9 of them are still unsold then the Company know it isn`t popular and will reduce the price or put it in a sale. QVC should welcome feedback both positive and negative.

Gotta love Q's sale where else can you buy something as beautiful as this?
pink trousers.jpg

[:mad:] My friend and her husband are in their sixties, both working, and both fed up with working, not because of the hours or amount of work but because theysay people don't know how to work any more. It's all about getting the job done quickly, not necessarily well, so you hit your targets with scant regard to quality. Our educational system has a lot to answer for. Far too much emphasis is on expressing opinions learned by answering questions in 500 words that can be answered in a sentence - see how our politicians bluster and fluff - and they're good at it because they've been trained. We need people to do a proper job and we need to bring back our manufacturing skills. University shouldn't be for all. Practical skills should be valued as much as academic skills. Put trainee nurses back on the wards to learn more practical skills and save NHS budgets. (Big bugbear of mine. We have nurses in our family). Value their skills for what they are, not as an academic study. [/:mad:]

Apologies. This subject touches a raw nerve.
You're so right, I worked in a wonderful school, always rated Outstanding & there were many students who had 'Oxbridge' about them from their first day. Sadly there were others who didn't & in previous times would have gone on to have good & successful jobs doing something practical, artistic or caring. However, they too got guided down the route to uni, doing degrees with little or no career opportunities & ending up massively in debt. One of my husband's most successful customers was a carpenter who left school with basic qualitications in the English & Maths but 100% & the best examiner comments in Resistant Materials. His work is superb, he has a loyal & talented workforce &, despite his enviable lifestyle, hasn't forgotten his roots.

Last edited:
Getting a tradesperson of any standard is hard and to get a good one is near impossible, they are booked up for months in advance. Amazes me how people cant see that not everyone is academically minded and that it much better to have your children being a well paid plumber who likes their job rather than a worthless degree McDonalds server up to their neck in debt. However training to be a plumber doesn’t have the social life uni has which is such a big draw.

There are apprenticeships in the likes of accountancy where you start from school, work, train, get paid, they pay for all your very expensive exams and give you generous study leave but you have to go to lectures at the weekend (used to be a Friday but now a Saturday). It’s an extremely good way to go as you are earning but no debt but it’s not that popular as it doesn’t have the uni. vibe. The daft thing is if you have a degree and start you have to do the exact same course just you get a couple of exemptions, but you start 3 years further down the line.

I notice the last Marla Wynne tsv, the tunic with pockets has terrible reviews nearly all one star but I bet that won`t stop MW churning out similar in the future nor will it stop QVC buyers from ordering it. Q needs to listen to those people on FB and in their reviews and stop selling so many white elephants 🐘 (I wanted to use the elephant emoji too lol )

Latest posts

Back