Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

That ridiculous idea again - QVC tries that with scent - that, apparently, I've been 'stopped in the street and asked where I got that gorgeous scent from'.

This idea might be credible in any country other than Britain. We studiously avoid interacting with one another unless we have to: the idea that one British person might be so forward and in-your-face as to actually stop a stranger going about their business in the street and demand to know where they bought a particular scent, or item of clothing, is about the most ludicrous, unbelievable thing any presenter could say.
Your not 100% right, I have believe it or not been asked in the past what scent I’m wearing by a stranger. Even though they said they liked it Gotta admit after answering I did immediately think « Blummin heck maybe I should use less in future If they can smell it by just walking by me » 😱

Woeful really. Are they looking for repeat business? Buy one Doug Rockedher and then another and another. Build a library of potato choppers? The lack of anything resembling a fresh start product wise from Ideal World‘s uninspiring last couple of years of trading is stark to the eye. Reynolds and his watches, tubby fellow and his choppers, the ghastly 18 year old going on 50 with his performing drones…You just feel nothing is being invested into this other than a broom cupboard of a studio, a red button, and some presenters probably on a free scissors rather than a salary..

My knowledge of Watches is 0, If it wasnt for the excellent posts on here, I would believe in the experts, and buy

But even though last night, you could tell it was BS,
NOOOoooo Jazzydrury, if you're being serious in posting this you NEED to remember one thing.

Regardless of the product being flogged, take EVERYTHING they tell you on selly telly (all channels) with a pinch of salt, usually a very large pinch!

:)

NOOOoooo Jazzydrury, if you're being serious in posting this you NEED to remember one thing.

Regardless of the product being flogged, take EVERYTHING they tell you on selly telly (all channels) with a pinch of salt, usually a very large pinch!

:)
I had months of you saying HOW DARE YOU

I did like the idea of somebody suggesting they sell everyday style items, Toasters, Washing up Bowls etc,

I would hazard a guess you could walk into a busy pub/restaurant wearing a watch that's genuinely worth thousands and, even if wearing a t-shirt with the watch on full view, no one maybe bar watch enthusiasts would ask you about it.

And if they did ask, imagine saying 'it's a Gamages ...'

I had months of you saying HOW DARE YOU

I did like the idea of somebody suggesting they sell everyday style items, Toasters, Washing up Bowls etc,
Yeah on the surface it's a good idea and could maybe work, however I reckon the same challenge for them would remain. The challenge being numerous other online retailers will be selling the same kind of stuff and possibly cheaper. So if IW mk2 want to compete on price, the already tight margins would be even more pushed.

Why not? Wouldn't you love to resurrect a double act with PeterS, or do a slot with ShaunR?

I've not seen them sell a phone, tablet or tech on Shop Extra or TJC, beyond a smart watch, but you're the man for that. At least you understood technology properly, more than some of those presenters!

What are you up to? Do you work in tech? Always curious what the experts do when they're not on a TV slot talking tech.
I know it's not exactly a popular thing to say around these parts, but I really enjoyed my time at Ideal World. I did my first show for them when I was I was just 24 and it was a real baptism of fire - I remember being so terrified of messing it up. As time went on, I realised the path of least resistance was to embrace my mistakes and slip-ups but just try to be as honest and straight-talking as I could be. I know that some people won't necessarily agree with that, but I always just tried to show what a product was capable of without saying it was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen.
Errr, content producer, video editor, former presenter and comedian. Not sure ever a tech expert!
Well... this is a tricky one. I started my presenting career as a presenter/reviewer for AO.com and along the way worked for O2 and a lot of other tech brands as a reviewer/presenter. I'd also worked for Apple as one of their retail employees prior to doing any sort of on-screen work.

So, yeah, if you want me to re-solder dry joints on the motherboard of a ZX Spectrum... I'm probably not your guy. If you want me to tell you how air-recirculation on a fridge freezer can help its efficiency or why more megapixels in a camera doesn't mean better photos... bring it on!

I never closed the door on a return to being in front of the camera, but I don't see it happening anytime soon: Ideal World's studios were a 2.5-3.5 hour drive from home and whilst I never had a problem with that, if I had a show in the morning and then nothing until late at night, it became a long day of trying to find things to do in and around Peterborough... but I never say 'never'.

These days I work as a graphic designer in Manchester. I'm lucky to work for a company where I can try new ideas and be creative in ways outside of just the design work too, so it keeps me happy.

There is no tech for you to showcase on it, is there? For what it’s worth, I thought you were one of the best techsperts they had - unlike some other multi-experts working there.
Thank you! That's kind of you to say; I knew it was always a tight-rope of trying to be entertaining, informative and honest. I tried!

What they need is a complete re-branding, new name and a thorough range of proven quality goods across the spectrum of retail choice. From Furniture to Fashion, Electricals to Eating Utensils, Sports Equipment to Sailing Wear…Technology to Timepieces..Cosmetics to Corsetry…Offering a two year guarantee on most goods. Don’t have presenters, have Partners and offer a 10% Channel Profit Share to all members of their Club, rather than 10% off per buy. And offer a fully interactive, order managing, named day and timed delivery service. They‘d blow the opposition out of the water with their new channel - John Lewis TV.

I know it's not exactly a popular thing to say around these parts, but I really enjoyed my time at Ideal World. I did my first show for them when I was I was just 24 and it was a real baptism of fire - I remember being so terrified of messing it up. As time went on, I realised the path of least resistance was to embrace my mistakes and slip-ups but just try to be as honest and straight-talking as I could be. I know that some people won't necessarily agree with that, but I always just tried to show what a product was capable of without saying it was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen.

Well... this is a tricky one. I started my presenting career as a presenter/reviewer for AO.com and along the way worked for O2 and a lot of other tech brands as a reviewer/presenter. I'd also worked for Apple as one of their retail employees prior to doing any sort of on-screen work.

So, yeah, if you want me to re-solder dry joints on the motherboard of a ZX Spectrum... I'm probably not your guy. If you want me to tell you how air-recirculation on a fridge freezer can help its efficiency or why more megapixels in a camera doesn't mean better photos... bring it on!

I never closed the door on a return to being in front of the camera, but I don't see it happening anytime soon: Ideal World's studios were a 2.5-3.5 hour drive from home and whilst I never had a problem with that, if I had a show in the morning and then nothing until late at night, it became a long day of trying to find things to do in and around Peterborough... but I never say 'never'.

These days I work as a graphic designer in Manchester. I'm lucky to work for a company where I can try new ideas and be creative in ways outside of just the design work too, so it keeps me happy.
Thanks for that. And yes, I thought you were very good too. You stuck to the facts, which you knew and were proficient in and didn't go in for the overblown hyperbole and the house style rhetoric.

Also, appreciate that it is a skill and no mean feat to present and on live TV too.
Having done a few corporate presentation courses in the past, for PowerPoint or to give speeches, it's not easy; remembering to look up, not down, at your audience, speak at the right speed, structure what you say. And talking to a camera's eye without going 'glass-eyed' or starey, or lose train of thought, and rambling, etc.

And you can't imagine them naked if no audience, just a camera... Lol.

So as we have a former 'insider' here:

- were you given any notes or direction in terms of style, what to say, or not to say?

- did they give you any TV or sales training at all, or just recruited you to be yourself?

- did they recruit you for items you already knew about, were you given an item and told to learn it and how to demo it. How much notice were you given?

- what was your opinion of any of the presenters or staff on IW that you'd be able to share?

- did you agree with RobL that TV shopping is entertainment as well as shop selling?

- do you keep in touch with Rob (in LA now?) or PeterS or anyone from IW front/back (the former who I think you did quite a lot of paired slots with)

- do you ever get stopped in street by people 'dovI know you from somewhere?' How often? TV/recognition/being known is a strange phenomena where people think they know you?

I think by being on this forum, most of us are interested or fans of TV shopping and it's peculiarities and logistics. Just have some hesitation when it comes to some of the well-worn, but dubious traditional sales methods used by some that were/are more suited to Del Boy on a disreputable market stall, than on modern shopping TV...?!?!
Your thoughts?

P.S. had a quick scan of your old twitter/ig socials... the Antarctic ship / penguins trip looked interesting; was that a job or just a holiday/opportunity?
Your ode to Manchester, old, historical parts and its rejuvenation, is well-observed, as someone who lived there for a while myself too. Cheers.

Woeful really. Are they looking for repeat business? Buy one Doug Rockedher and then another and another. Build a library of potato choppers? The lack of anything resembling a fresh start product wise from Ideal World‘s uninspiring last couple of years of trading is stark to the eye. Reynolds and his watches, tubby fellow and his choppers, the ghastly 18 year old going on 50 with his performing drones…You just feel nothing is being invested into this other than a broom cupboard of a studio, a red button, and some presenters probably on a free scissors rather than a salary..
Agreed. I suppose the idea was to get something going quickly, at least cost & effort, so you reuse what there is to get up and running soonest.

But as Einstein said, "the definition of madness is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results".

You'd hope that if it survives into 2024 they might invest in new products, ranges, logistics, offers. Loved your partner/profit sharing suggestion.

But I doubt it.

Personally, I would like 'techsperts' to have had a bit more industry expertise or knowledge, e.g. designed something or consulted on tech, tech sales into business, or worked with it or similar product items in industry, or programmed or UI expertise, or something more than played with it and read the spec sheet and worked out a demo. But I guess it's more a sales/demo role than a tech job.
But the fact you know what a ZX Spectrum is, dry joints, motherboard, silicon chips and soldering is better than most! Do graphic designers program at all, or is it all Apple, Adobe, Photoshop, CAD, etc.? Your Peterborough country park photos were inspiring! Actually, your photography skills are quite good. What camera do you use and is that a future career/hobby opportunity?!

Thanks for that. And yes, I thought you were very good too. You stuck to the facts, which you knew and were proficient in and didn't go in for the overblown hyperbole and the house style rhetoric.

Also, appreciate that it is a skill and no mean feat to present and on live TV too.
Having done a few corporate presentation courses in the past, for PowerPoint or to give speeches, it's not easy; remembering to look up, not down, at your audience, speak at the right speed, structure what you say. And talking to a camera's eye without going 'glass-eyed' or starey, or lose train of thought, and rambling, etc.

- were you given any notes or direction in terms of style, what to say, or not to say?

- did they give you any TV or sales training at all, or just recruited you to be yourself?

- did they recruit you for items you already knew about, were you given an item and told to learn it and how to demo it. How much notice were you given?

- what was your opinion of any of the presenters or staff on IW that you'd be able to share?

- did you agree with RobL that TV shopping is entertainment as well as shop selling?

- do you keep in touch with Rob (in LA now?) or PeterS or anyone from IW front/back (the former who I think you did quite a lot of paired slots with)

- do you ever get stopped in street by people 'dovI know you from somewhere?' How often? TV/recognition/being known is a strange phenomena where people think they know you?

I think by being on this forum, most of us are interested or fans of TV shopping and it's peculiarities and logistics. Just have some hesitation when it comes to some of the well-worn, but dubious traditional sales methods used by some that were/are more suited to Del Boy on a disreputable market stall, than on modern shopping TV...?!?!
Your thoughts?

P.S. had a quick scan of your old twitter/ig socials... the Antarctic ship / penguins trip looked interesting; was that a job or just a holiday/opportunity?
Your ode to Manchester, old, historical parts and its rejuvenation, is well-observed, as someone who lived there for a while myself too. Cheers.

Your thoughts?

You're very welcome! I think it's one of those skills you can always sharpen - whenever I went away and came back to IW, I always dreaded my first shows - but you slip back into it.

So, I'll try to give as much info as I can, but it was a long time ago...

I got feedback from producers and directors after my shows and often-times in preparation for them, but most of the time, the schedule is so packed tight and everyone was so busy there wasn't a lot of time to linger on things unless you'd said/done something truly awful! Some of the best 'notes' or 'direction' came during the shows through the talkback earpiece. When I did my first shows, I didn't use talkback and now I can't imagine how! With talkback, you can be informed of what camera you're meant to be looking at, whether the demo is looking good or bad, how long you've got left in the show... so much. In addition you're part of the action. If you've got a good crew working with you, you have jokes and quips that just suddenly pop into your ear; in the video that was posted on here, you can see one of those moments where it happened and I start laughing and I can't stop - that was always my issue. I'm not good at holding back a genuine laugh.

I was essentially recruited to be me - I sent them some of the work I'd done beforehand, went to the studio and did a screentest where I demoed a blender alongside the wonderful Paul Lavers (genuinely nice chap) and a week later I was on-air. They always provided detailed documents about whatever I was going to be selling and I tried to do my own research as best as I could, but due to the logistical problem of living 3 hours from the studio, I'd sometimes only get my hands on the product a few hours before we went live.

In all honesty, most of the people I met at Ideal World were wonderful. I know that's not exactly juicy, but it's true. Behind the scenes, there were a lot of hard-working colleagues - many of whom were in their first jobs and trying their best to make things run smoothly... I wouldn't hesitate in working with any of the crew again.
As for presenters, what I'll say is that the person who you see on-screen isn't really the person they actually are. I don't mean this in a bad way, I mean that they have a job to do and so you turn on certain parts of your personality and amplify yourself... I did it too... if I were the person I was on some of those late-night shows with Rob all the time, I'd be intolerable.
I never really had any issues with anyone; though I was told categorically that one of the presenters did NOT like me... if this was true, they never showed that either on or off the screen. Everyone was professional and kind and seemed to get along. I'm not singling anyone out, but Dennice, Shaun, Rob, Hayley, Jess, Shona are all wonderful people who always took time to catch up with me before shows even though they had a lot to do! Heck, Peter Simon seemed to know everyone, EVERYONE around the building and he cared so much about the shows.

I always thought that shopping telly should be enjoyable to watch - I know that sometimes Rob and I would push that as far as it would go, but we really wanted people to enjoy the shows and to have a laugh. Though that's probably not the best metric in a business measuring sales.

I had one or two "I know you, don't I" encounters, but it's easier to just say. "Oh I get that a lot, but sorry, I'm not Ed Sheeran!"

You're very welcome! I think it's one of those skills you can always sharpen - whenever I went away and came back to IW, I always dreaded my first shows - but you slip back into it.

So, I'll try to give as much info as I can, but it was a long time ago...

I got feedback from producers and directors after my shows and often-times in preparation for them, but most of the time, the schedule is so packed tight and everyone was so busy there wasn't a lot of time to linger on things unless you'd said/done something truly awful! Some of the best 'notes' or 'direction' came during the shows through the talkback earpiece. When I did my first shows, I didn't use talkback and now I can't imagine how! With talkback, you can be informed of what camera you're meant to be looking at, whether the demo is looking good or bad, how long you've got left in the show... so much. In addition you're part of the action. If you've got a good crew working with you, you have jokes and quips that just suddenly pop into your ear; in the video that was posted on here, you can see one of those moments where it happened and I start laughing and I can't stop - that was always my issue. I'm not good at holding back a genuine laugh.

I was essentially recruited to be me - I sent them some of the work I'd done beforehand, went to the studio and did a screentest where I demoed a blender alongside the wonderful Paul Lavers (genuinely nice chap) and a week later I was on-air. They always provided detailed documents about whatever I was going to be selling and I tried to do my own research as best as I could, but due to the logistical problem of living 3 hours from the studio, I'd sometimes only get my hands on the product a few hours before we went live.

In all honesty, most of the people I met at Ideal World were wonderful. I know that's not exactly juicy, but it's true. Behind the scenes, there were a lot of hard-working colleagues - many of whom were in their first jobs and trying their best to make things run smoothly... I wouldn't hesitate in working with any of the crew again.
As for presenters, what I'll say is that the person who you see on-screen isn't really the person they actually are. I don't mean this in a bad way, I mean that they have a job to do and so you turn on certain parts of your personality and amplify yourself... I did it too... if I were the person I was on some of those late-night shows with Rob all the time, I'd be intolerable.
I never really had any issues with anyone; though I was told categorically that one of the presenters did NOT like me... if this was true, they never showed that either on or off the screen. Everyone was professional and kind and seemed to get along. I'm not singling anyone out, but Dennice, Shaun, Rob, Hayley, Jess, Shona are all wonderful people who always took time to catch up with me before shows even though they had a lot to do! Heck, Peter Simon seemed to know everyone, EVERYONE around the building and he cared so much about the shows.

I always thought that shopping telly should be enjoyable to watch - I know that sometimes Rob and I would push that as far as it would go, but we really wanted people to enjoy the shows and to have a laugh. Though that's probably not the best metric in a business measuring sales.

I had one or two "I know you, don't I" encounters, but it's easier to just say. "Oh I get that a lot, but sorry, I'm not Ed Sheeran!"
Thanks for the insights @GrantB and for taking the time on a Sunday, it's appreciated!

If you can say... Did you ever get commission on sales, or bonus on achieving set targets or metrics on any items? Or just a set appearance rate. Were you paid the same for every show/appearance, or could it vary depending on the item value/margin or sales?

And if I can be really cheeky, was it well-paid, compared to non-TV jobs or other industries? I presume you did it for a reason, maybe for the media/live experience and line of work, and not just the money?

We've had a bit of a debate here whether 'tv' meant it is well or better paid, as most TV people in front of camera generally are, compared to 'average', or was it more like being paid as a 'contractor' or consultant presenter who just happens to present on TV. And shopping TV is a bit different to regular TV. (Also, never understood why they didn't show normal TV ads like ITV unless it was prohibited under TV/broadcast regulations for some reason. Can't remember if the IW on ITV lates had adverts interspersed).

Did you ever do demos/present at trade shows/fairs or conferences on trade stands? I've done a tiny bit of that, enjoyed meeting people and talking about stuff!

P.S. If you go to the graveyard Ideal World thread here, I said I thought you reminded me a bit of the comedian Alastair Beckett-King, if you know him, especially when you had the longer ponytail?! 😃

Anyway, thanks for coming on the forum and saying hi and sharing the info. Best wishes in your future endeavours, etc.

Latest posts

Back