Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

With Shona turning up as a Vaccum Epert, Am I right In thinking the only one we haven’t seen on telly anywhere since IW folded is Mike Mason

Reg varney? ain't seen him or Jess or ice skater and a tall idiot that thought he was a comedian (can't remember name but repeats of his rattan show with Peter V were shown quite often)

L

Literally just came here to say the same thing.

No-one would care/mind/notice them flogging these kinds of mops if the same presenters didn't make such a massive song and dance about how awful, dirty, and disgusting they are during other shows…

Same for the corded vacuum Simon was flogging yesterday, saying a lot of folks still want corded and you always have power, yet for years on IW him and mason were slagging off corded vacuums (except the Henry but that was with Ennis).

I see Thursday they have 2 hours of Brother Embroidery and Sewing Machine, they are clearly, hoping Craft Viewers, will find Shop Extra to see the product and will carry on watching

You posting that just brought Kevski to mind and a smile to my face. :ROFLMAO:

When Kevski speaks about Seiko movements, quite a lot (actually most) of the time he calls calls Seiko, "Seiko Industries". Now there is a "Seiko industries" but they have nothing to do with watch movements or the Seiko Group of Japan, they're a Sewing machine manufacturer in India, oh they sound a good fit for TJC. :unsure:

It really is entirely desperate. A £20 mop plus postage (whatever that is - they don’t say). They are totally anti-mop when they are selling steam cleaners, Rug Doctors, and the like. Recirculating dirt, unhygienic, ineffective…The list goes on.. Just the grand hypocrisy of it all.. Talking up the benefits of something with no apparent benefits when they are selling cleaning by another method. The products are just so hugely uninspiring and the sales techniques so repetitively and massively Ideally Worldly depressing. Expected something even marginally better. It’s not here. Just more of the same sh…the former channel was doing day in and day out. A great opportunity to do things BETTER missed.

What presenter is the mop selling? 🤔 ;)

Heck knows, but for some strange reason Den has got herself fixated on the mop head being made of rubber and the guy isn't saying a word to correct her. God knows why she's saying rubber, even the Shop Extra description tells her what it is, ie PVA foam (Foam is made by Ramer UK).

Oh update guy is calling it rubber too. :eek:

Trouble Is the machine Is over 2 grand, nobody is going to watch and just buy
Oh is that right? Well I'll have you know I've bought two of them, one to use with my left hand whilst simultaneously using the other with my right! AND I might buy a third because I'm getting pretty good with my left foot!!

TJC HQ:

"Okay guys, it seems that naming our shows after wrestling terms isn't shifting stock any more. We need a new approach."

How about …a washed up former children's TV presenter shouting JUST BUY IT! KISS MY ANORAK! SHUT THE BACK DOOR!? while staring down the camera sticking his tongue out like a dying lizard?

"Excellent - that compliments our selection of fine jewellery perfectly."

And a wannabe social media influencer with a penchant for bragging about her expensive holidays and who was once a member of Bucks Fizz for two weeks during the 1990s?

"Perfect - her shrieking about our designer handbags will wake people up to our amazing deals"

And a walking grey grandfather clock whose skill set includes pointing thermometers at ceramic plates and sitting on Rattan awkwardly?

"C'mon, we're not desperate… We're TJC!"
But afaik, TJC are not desperate, doing ok, so no idea why they've hired these fuckw!ts, reprobates, rabble. The smaller sets don't suit the larger personalities of the ex-IW shouty crew. Sitting behind a desk they need to be able to talk credibly, in detail and accurately. And demonstrate or present the item well. None of which the former IW crew recruits seem too good at.

The best presenters on TJC at present are the customer testimonial video inserts. More genuine than the lot of them!

Hello again!

So I can't speak for anyone else, obviously... but I will say that I ordered quite a few things from Ideal World when I worked there; still very happy with my Boneco fan, mattress and Ingenio pans!

Again, I know it won't be a popular thing to say here, but it's a shop... no fishmonger hangs out of the door yelling "My fish stinks!" My example is; I never owned the £39 Android phone that IW sold, I wouldn't have ever swapped my phone for one, and I never certainly wouldn't have ever tried to sell it as being as good as an iPhone or Samsung.... but... for less than 5% of what my phone cost, here was this thing that had the Google Assistant and Navigation and could play YouTube without stuttering. Waxing lyrical about that wasn't hard for me!

Clothing - hmm... well I always took a few different choices, but no-one ever told me what to wear - which probably explains some of the more questionable fashion choices I made.

I never really got offered products from other categories, probably because on my first shows on the Deal Channel (remember that?) I did some cleaning products... aaaaaaaand... messed it right up! I don't think the world needed to see 'Chef Grant' struggling with pans when back then I could've burnt a salad!

I remember watching Shop!, Ideal World and QVC as a kid and thinking it was a cool idea... but I thought as the internet became more popular it would've faded away. When I was a student, we'd sometimes sit around watching Bid and Price Drop just because they were, at times, very entertaining, so then, years later when the opportunity came along, I thought "maybe I can have fun with this" and that's exactly what I tried to do. I watched a lot of IW before I screen-tested and I think it paid off.

Friends and family had a variety of reactions to it all - some friends knew me back in the days when I was doing 'edgy' standup comedy so they thought it was a very strange choice for me! My family were supportive - Grandma loved to tune in and watch, telling everyone that I was on the telly.

For me, I'd take the opportunity to do something like it again - but I'll always think there's space for it to be more entertaining. I think there's a lot of products that really benefit from being demonstrated on screen... but it's got to be fun for the audience. Modern platforms that allow for live-streaming offer more engagement and interaction, and I think that's one direction I'd go in if I were in charge.

Shopping TV will in one way or another always exist... the next iteration of it seems to be influencers on TikTok and Instagram... who knows what comes next?
I genuinely think these are some of the most honest and considered comments I have read about the inner workings of IW. Thanks Grant.

Plus we have no clue just how many they actually have in the warehouse so when he says only ten left we have no clue if they started with 12(possibly brout in the back of the guest car) on the day. or 120 actually present in the warehouse in boxes.
The cynic in me says that’s EXACTLY why they phrase it that way. I honestly believe that if they only had ten left and they’d started with a hundred, they’d phrase it as ‘90% of our stock is now gone’, or even ‘we’ve only ten left, and we started the hour with a hundred’. To just say ‘we only have ten left’, to me, says more in what is not said, than in what IS said (if that makes sense!) 🤔

Latest posts

Back