Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Was that what Sally Jacks constant references to follow me on face book, see my latest youtube carp was all about.
i confess I have looked at her content since Ideal closed but had zero interest before that.
My personal impression from what I’ve seen is that she has a determined ambition to become a top influencer. Her numerous holidays,since Ideal ceased trading, used basically as a daily fashion show, certainly seem to support that.
Unfortunately that’s just Sally. She was doing that way before the change

Oo-err, those noises Den is making eating that (burnt) fish finger... Good job it's post-watershed!

Dear god, I swear that's the 7th basket of chips I've seen him shovel out on top of lettuce in the last 5 minutes...
She talks with a tone that makes it sound as though she's having a 'moment' if you get my drift. I'm sure she thinks it's cute/sexy ...

Exactly what we all said. I think he believed he could transform the channel into social media selling, but wouldn’t invest the money for a social media team and instead told staff members to create shoppable content.

Yes that’s exactly why new faces started appearing. And ironically, it was the older presenters who had the best sales.
That explains the arrival of the younger blood in the dying days of the channel. The films guy, the ice guy, young Hayley, that ex-model cleaner woman, the Welsh girl - any others were instantly forgettable. The ice skater (Evers, is it) was like a rabbit in the headlights, and simply couldn’t communicate in an ad-lib sense - although he did improve as he went along. The other guy, Craig, I think believed his personality and humour could do the selling alone. Presumably, they didn’t. You felt at the time there was some active direction in moving to younger presenters, in some feeble, misguided attempt to try and capture an audience that simply isn’t there.

Eric Knowles was unspeakably unsuitable for the role put in front of him. He is a very competent and amiable frontman type presenter of a pre-recorded type show. One that sticks to his area of expertise-antiques in general. What he isn’t, is somebody to host and drive a live selling show, dealing with cheap watches he knows nothing about. Put with a Mason, a Simon, as ‘the guest expert’ it could have been entertaining; but sticking him with another guest ‘expert’ with no personality and with no clue how to help him to present this type of programme was a disaster waiting to happen. Has Knowles, ever done live talkback before? I doubt it given how terrible he was.

We all laugh at and sometimes ridicule the senior shopping television presenters who have been doing the job for years. But in truth, doing it well is a very skilled and difficult task, and a terribly easy one to do appallingly.

That explains the arrival of the younger blood in the dying days of the channel. The films guy, the ice guy, young Hayley, that ex-model cleaner woman, the Welsh girl - any others were instantly forgettable. The ice skater (Evers, is it) was like a rabbit in the headlights, and simply couldn’t communicate in an ad-lib sense - although he did improve as he went along. The other guy, Craig, I think believed his personality and humour could do the selling alone. Presumably, they didn’t. You felt at the time there was some active direction in moving to younger presenters, in some feeble, misguided attempt to try and capture an audience that simply isn’t there.

Eric Knowles was unspeakably unsuitable for the role put in front of him. He is a good friendly link-man type presenter of a pre-recorded type show. One that sticks to his area of expertise-antiques in general. What he isn’t, is somebody to host and drive a live selling show, dealing with cheap watches he knows nothing about. Put with a Mason, a Simon, as ‘the guest expert’ it could have been entertaining; but sticking him with another guest ‘expert’ with no personality and with no clue how help him to present this type of programme was a disaster waiting to happen. Has Knowles, ever done live talkback before? I doubt it given how terrible he was.

Well all laugh at and sometimes ridicule the senior shopping television presenters who have been doing the job for years. But in truth, doing it well is a very skilled and difficult task, and a terribly easy one to do appallingly.
They're flogging a dying horse, we've all said it. For younger people who've known nothing else but the likes of Amazon, eBay, Etsy etc etc and the online offerings from major retailers, I very much doubt they're going to morph into selly telly viewers as they get older. And even for those that have the potential to, it will be an automatic thing within them to compare prices with other online retailers before buying anything from a selly telly channel.

I do agree though, doing any kind of presenting job well is an art in itself. It's not everyone that could drone on about x product for an hour.

I can't believe it! Some of the Ideal World gang are back on Shop Extra Where is AS RARE AS HEN'S TEETH Mike Mason, the king of lies? He must be hiding somewhere, ready to jump out and sell you a Swan&Edgar or a Thomas Earnshaw for a fortune. Don't fall for his tricks! These watches are made in China and they are as luxurious as a plastic bag. And what's with the set? It looks like they stole it from Poldark. Did they travel back in time to 1975?

Last edited:
One of my last memories of the old IW, was that night, you had a very uncomfortable looking Hayley, present a DIY Hour, she herself would probably admit she was clueless about the Subject, Halfway through, had to go and get a drink, probably through nerves, walked off and left the DIY to it.

Then the next hour Mike turned up and done Fashion

I can't believe it! Some of the Ideal World gang are back on Shop Extra Where is AS RARE AS HEN'S TEETH Mike Mason, the king of lies? He must be hiding somewhere, ready to jump out and sell you a Swan&Edgar or a Thomas Earnshaw for a fortune. Don't fall for his tricks! These watches are made in China and they are as luxurious as a plastic bag. And what's with the set? It looks like they stole it from Poldark. Did they travel back in time to 1975?
Reminds me of The Multi-Coloured Swap Shop studio without the technology.

I hopped on to C&C after 10pm last night (Virgin Media) expecting to see Shop Extra but no, it was craft repeats. The same at 11pm etc. Was that expected or have they already started to not show Shop Extra on C&C after 10pm?

Latest posts

Back