Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Peter Simon was the first presenter I saw when I first found bid-up.tv in 2003, I could laugh at his innuendo's without cringing.

However, after watching him on Ideal lately I've lost count on how many times I've seen him slip up on saying basic things. The worst is when they have flexipay on an item. "It's £39.99 today" When the actual price below is £89.99 or something. He often gets the phone number wrong "Call now 09056 48 48, not only..."

I agree Jason, he's the only presenter that doesn't actually present, just an hours worth of "just buy it!.......just buy it!" How he's managed to get by on that I'll never know, the innuendo was ok for Butlins and Bid, but I don't think it fits in with the "family" bit in their promo.

He makes a regular thing of doing that, Jason, and I think he knows exactly what he's doing. I just wonder how many people actually register that what comes out of his mouth often bears no resemblance to the actual total cost of an item - if he's shouting "it's only xyz." I'm sure some people think he's giving the total price of an item. And as for the phone number - don't get me started on that one! How many people have ended up ringing Interpol or getting someone out of bed in New York is anyone's guess. You would think, by now, he'd have that number off by heart. What a liability - but IW seem to think he's wonderful, and he's obviously never been reprimanded for giving misleading price info. Advertising Standards? What Advertising Standards would that be?

Peter Simon was the first presenter I saw when I first found bid-up.tv in 2003, I could laugh at his innuendo's without cringing.

However, after watching him on Ideal lately I've lost count on how many times I've seen him slip up on saying basic things. The worst is when they have flexipay on an item. "It's £39.99 today" When the actual price below is £89.99 or something. He often gets the phone number wrong "Call now 09056 48 48, not only..."

Mutts, I'm still giggling at the thought of him with a flat battery :mysmilie_15:(I hasten to say, this is not a euphemism - I have my standards, although admittedly not many) - I'm just picturing him in the middle of the usual spiel "over 9,000% gone", etc. then suddenly slumping to the ground... they'd have to get the battery charger out, which would not be a pretty sight (where the heck would they plug it??) :mysmilie_481:

When I wrote this post, I did not think about hm being "recharged" on air! I haven't stopped laughing at your post and I am barely awake!

'Apparently' with regards to PS not mentioning it's 3 flexipayments and just shouting the cost of one of them, I may have the answer. I wrote to IW over the issue of not mentioning once in a sales hour for the Weight To Go rubbish that ALL weight loss schemes need GP consultation before starting. They replied, saying that it was scrolling on the bottom of the screen a few times in the hour so they were in essence, covered. So with the 3 x flexipay being on the screen, that would undoubtedly cover them, which is awful tbh. I can barely read the small scrolling text on the screen at my partners house as his TV is so small, and do they not think blind people listen to the TV? let alone people not fully paying attention? Things of such importance, like there are THREE times £279 to pay, not one, and that you need to see your GP before trying something NEED to be emphasised, but hey, sales come first huh? :(

'Apparently' with regards to PS not mentioning it's 3 flexipayments and just shouting the cost of one of them, I may have the answer. I wrote to IW over the issue of not mentioning once in a sales hour for the Weight To Go rubbish that ALL weight loss schemes need GP consultation before starting. They replied, saying that it was scrolling on the bottom of the screen a few times in the hour so they were in essence, covered. So with the 3 x flexipay being on the screen, that would undoubtedly cover them, which is awful tbh. I can barely read the small scrolling text on the screen at my partners house as his TV is so small, and do they not think blind people listen to the TV? let alone people not fully paying attention? Things of such importance, like there are THREE times £279 to pay, not one, and that you need to see your GP before trying something NEED to be emphasised, but hey, sales come first huh? :(

It would be interesting if one of us reported them to the ASA (for what it is worth) when he does the "its only £15" routine. I think I have seen on the ASA results page (I used to read it weekly in the days of Bid TV...) that the excuse that "the graphics are on screen" is not deemed good enough for the authorities. Just because they claim that they are covered by this does not make it necessarily the truth because sometimes people tell porky pies! I believe the ASA listing (which was upheld) was for a jewellery channel and it was a couple of years ago but my brain may be playing tricks with me and I may be wrong.

And people may be mislead by his "its only £15 today" routine. Some people may think that the screen price is the full price and that today it is on offer, particularly when it is a Black Friday event and people are expecting big discounts.

Even if IW cover themsleves with the scrolling "small details" at the bottom of the screen, Its just more daming evidence of how unprofessional and bulllcrap tactics that ALL involved with IW are using!!

Lets say that IW really do care for the buyer and are not just in it for a quick sale its actually very.....very easy to explain (even for Saint Peter)

Example of a upfront, pro and clear salesperson explaning the pricing of an item:
Hello folks thanks for tuning in, The item for sale is priced at £60, If you wish to take the interest free flexipay option all we ask today is £20 thank you, then another 2 payments of £20, then thats you paid the full item price of £60 after the 3rd month many thanks, or if its better for you all we require today is the full item price of £60, that full price today is £60 thanks.

Its not hard at all IW, come on give us a REAL xmas pressie and explain the pricing policy in a clear and easy way...........................

Even if IW cover themselves with the scrolling "small details" at the bottom of the screen, Its just more damning evidence of how unprofessional and bulllcrap tactics that ALL involved with IW are using!!

Lets say that IW really do care for the buyer and are not just in it for a quick sale its actually very.....very easy to explain (even for Saint Peter)

Example of a upfront, pro and clear salesperson explaning the pricing of an item:
Hello folks thanks for tuning in, The item for sale is priced at £60, If you wish to take the interest free flexipay option all we ask today is £20 thank you, then another 2 payments of £20, then thats you paid the full item price of £60 after the 3rd month many thanks, or if its better for you all we require today is the full item price of £60, that full price today is £60 thanks.

Its not hard at all IW, come on give us a REAL xmas pressie and explain the pricing policy in a clear and easy way...........................

This is exactly why I hated the Sit-up network. They were using the viewers and potential buyers as mere cash-cows and would do anything to exploit them even if it meant using underhand/dodgy tactics. It is to Ideal World's discredit that they are using former Bid presenters who are using the same/similar practices.

As a result, I distrust Ideal World even more now. They lack honesty and credibility in the way this shopping network conducts their product presentations and ensuring the presenters are being transparent in maintaing the highest broadcasting standards.

Just had a flick over and Angela garden/lights lady is on with Stone Mason and some gift bags with real ribbon. She had only just let the words flow out of her mouth about how strong they were when......oops.... she rips one trying to open it :giggle: Stone Mason covered her ordeal with his ramblings while I watched her as she managed to take the gift out the bag and turn the rip round to her to hide it.

Again, wouldn't it be more upfront to say something like 'oh look at me, I didn't open the ribbon fully and I tore the bag trying to get the gift out' rather than try and hide it?

Just had a flick over and Angela garden/lights lady is on with Stone Mason and some gift bags with real ribbon. She had only just let the words flow out of her mouth about how strong they were when......oops.... she rips one trying to open it :giggle: Stone Mason covered her ordeal with his ramblings while I watched her as she managed to take the gift out the bag and turn the rip round to her to hide it.

Again, wouldn't it be more upfront to say something like 'oh look at me, I didn't open the ribbon fully and I tore the bag trying to get the gift out' rather than try and hide it?

Oops! Maybe she was hoping you wouldn't notice!!!!!

Momma, seems they are not trained to cope in these situations - I've seen similar on a jewellery channel, where a chain broke taking it off. The chain was, quite obviously, in 2 pieces, but was bundled up in the hand and just the top of the chain and clasp shown and the auction finished very quickly!

Momma, love the new name of Stone Mason! :giggle: But isn't the bloke a total pro? And this from someone who is totally honest and transparent in all he does! I take it that when you talk of his "ramblings" you really mean the golden pearls of information that fall from his lips? On second thoughts, let's stick with "ramblings".....

"Its £30 on flexipay, plus p&P with a 14 day money back guarentee" Quote from Saint Peter when selling a Tower product.

Come on IW get it sorted its geting beyond a joke now, time to complain to ASA, the item is £59.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If a newbie just tuned in they would think it was 2x£15 and that the full price is £30 as Saint Peter is more than happy to just say 2 flexi payments with no mention of a full price!!! rather than giving a true full detailed price guide, such a pee take its beyond the pale!!!! but hey why let the truth get in the way of a sale eh???

Again seling another item he has just said "ITS £20!!" No mention at all of the full price of £40 or a flexi pay, FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw that presentation. Not once did Deceiver Peter say the full price throughout. Anyone with poor eyesight, like I have would have been misled that you could get this oven for £35.

I hope IW tidy up before they leave, its Bid tv all over again, untrustworthy presenters contributed to its demise so see yeh Ideal World, nice knowing yeh.

Latest posts

Back