Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Foghorn "the fitness expert" just can't help herself, continually interrupting the keep fit woman, what's the point of having a fitness person there if foghorn keeps taking over?
No point in having an expert with Foghorn,Barrow Boy,Pedro nee Dr Lobitov,they continually dribble over the studio floor.
They don’t even know what is coming out of their mouths half the time.
Fitness with Foghorn 🤣🤣🤣

Some people convince themselves out of loyalty and respect to the performers on stage, and perhaps a dash of nostalgic comfort thrown in, that they will laugh their heads off whether what they witness is actually funny or not. There were quite a few of those there in the audience in Nottingham on the night. The additional trouble was the performers lost all the visual capabilities that being able to film in advance was able to give them at the time, and now with no real backdrop or props at all. Essentially, just five people in their mid-60s, laid bare, moving around the stage in various characters from decades previous - some of whom not carrying well with the passing of all that time.

One thing a lot of us seek, particularly during the process of getting older, is to go back to times when we were happier, and we were younger – hence the interest in previous decades numerous music extravaganzas we have now. There is a massive market of people like us to tap into, and The Fast Show Live tour was no different. The stark reality is that it really isn’t a true recreation to see your former comedy and pop heroes now decades older and trying to behave in a manner that they did 30 or 40 years previously. Some can embrace it regardless of the passing of time, but some others like me struggle with it,
I wonder if some of the audience laughter is them convincing themselves it's funny, as they've paid £30+ for a ticket so need their money's worth?!

We used to go to see tv comedy being filmed at Teddington Studios, e.g. the Sketch Show (Mack, Vine et al https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sketch_Show ) and invariably they would fluff a line. When you've heard the same joke 4 times and you have to pretend to laugh on the retakes as if it were the first, it gets a bit tiresome and false! Sounds a bit like that.

I enjoy new comedy, but on Live at the Apollo, sometimes the audience are laughing their heads off at some innocuous pun, passing comment or observation and for the life of me I often can't see what's so funny for them to be falling off their chairs, when I could barely manage a hrmmpphh. The atmosphere and giddiness of being in the auditorium and the event seems to make them laugh at anything.

I wonder if some of the audience laughter is them convincing themselves it's funny, as they've paid £30+ for a ticket so need their money's worth?!

We used to go to see tv comedy being filmed at Teddington Studios, e.g. the Sketch Show (Mack, Vine et al https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sketch_Show ) and invariably they would fluff a line. When you've heard the same joke 4 times and you have to pretend to laugh on the retakes as if it were the first, it gets a bit tiresome and false! Sounds a bit like that.

I enjoy new comedy, but on Live at the Apollo, sometimes the audience are laughing their heads off at some innocuous pun, passing comment or observation and for the life of me I often can't see what's so funny for them to be falling off their chairs, when I could barely manage a hrmmpphh. The atmosphere and giddiness of being in the auditorium and the event seems to make them laugh at anything.
They would laugh to see a pudding crawl, an old Norfolk saying.

I'm sorry to say I find no new comedy funny. I wish I did but wokedom has killed it stone dead.

The 25 year run of The Now Show ended recently on R4. Although Punt & Dennis were still amusing their younger guest stars were not. At all. The show had been watered down to the point where it was no longer funny. Frankly, I'm glad the BBC put it out of its misery.

I quite like Lee Mack but I find myself harking back to Rik Mayall, Alex Sayle, Blackadder and the like.

Meanwhile, Mike of the Morons is regaling us with some story whilst the pretend designer polo shirts he's flogging are "flying out". The studio is like an airport when Mike is on screen.

P.S. Sad news about (Dr.) Michael Mosley going missing in Styri in Greece.

Hopefully they'll find him fallen down a crevice or lost somewhere in the craggy island interior, described as dangerous terrain, but the worrying report I read was they'd found his phone in the hotel he was staying at after he'd left the family on the beach to go walking inland.
Maybe he's had a mental aberration like Fry and needed to get away. Hope it turns out well.

P.S. Sad news about (Dr.) Michael Mosley going missing in Styri in Greece.

Hopefully they'll find him fallen down a crevice or lost somewhere in the craggy island interior, described as dangerous terrain, but the worrying report I read was they'd found his phone in the hotel he was staying at after he'd left the family on the beach to go walking inland.
Maybe he's had a mental aberration like Fry and needed to get away. Hope it turns out well.
I heard this, I thought the fact that his phone was in the hotel was significant. His family must be very worried.

Nice one, not heard that before. Saved in the bank.
The 25 year run of The Now Show ended recently on R4. Although Punt & Dennis were still amusing their younger guest stars were not. At all.
The comedian slot (like LatApollo) didn't seem to be able to resist telling you they were gay, lesbian, asexual, other, within the first 2 lines of their set, on which their act is entirely based.

I quite like Lee Mack but I find myself harking back to Rik Mayall, Alex Sayle, Blackadder and the like.

This was decades ago before they cancelled the series and knocked the Teddington tv studios down for desirable Thames riverside properties.

Also Mack in Not Going Out is a poor comparison and hardly funny compared to the original Game On with Ben and Janus and Stuke.

I'm sorry to say I find no new comedy funny. I wish I did but wokedom has killed it stone dead.

The 25 year run of The Now Show ended recently on R4. Although Punt & Dennis were still amusing their younger guest stars were not. At all. The show had been watered down to the point where it was no longer funny. Frankly, I'm glad the BBC put it out of its misery.

Meanwhile, Mike of the Morons is regaling us with some story whilst the pretend designer polo shirts he's flogging are "flying out". The studio is like an airport when Mike is on screen.
I agree about modern comedy, it's not to my taste either. I think the most recent comedy I watched was My Family with Zoe Wannamaker and Robert Lindsay. That ended in 2011 so not exactly recent. I do like some of the stuff I grew up with but some I wouldn't watch today. One that I just can't watch anymore is Only Fools and Horses. Loved it at the time but not now, not sure why, its still really popular.

I loved stuff like Blackadder (particularly series 3 with Hugh Laurie as the Prince Regent), that never dates. And anything with Rik Mayle and Ade Edmonson.

I don't feel the need to watch modern comedies. I've got DVDs and a lot of old stuff is available to stream. The same with music, I gave up with pop in the early 90s. I've got Spotify and there's hundreds of artists I can listen to, I don't care that my tastes are not up to date.

Gang don't miss this bargain !!! IW can do it at £149.99 or buy it elsewhere for £89.99.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240606_201854_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240606_201854_Samsung Internet.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 0
I agree about modern comedy, it's not to my taste either. I think the most recent comedy I watched was My Family with Zoe Wannamaker and Robert Lindsay. That ended in 2011 so not exactly recent. I do like some of the stuff I grew up with but some I wouldn't watch today. One that I just can't watch anymore is Only Fools and Horses. Loved it at the time but not now, not sure why, its still really popular.

I loved stuff like Blackadder (particularly series 3 with Hugh Laurie as the Prince Regent), that never dates. And anything with Rik Mayle and Ade Edmonson.

I don't feel the need to watch modern comedies. I've got DVDs and a lot of old stuff is available to stream. The same with music, I gave up with pop in the early 90s. I've got Spotify and there's hundreds of artists I can listen to, I don't care that my tastes are not up to date.
Don't agree with the catchall 'modern bad, old good'. There are good and bad in all periods. And different tastes and styles.

Modern good stuff, in my very personal opinion: Paul Chowdhry, Omid Djalili, Geoff Norcott, Simon Evans. IT Crowd, Big Bang Theory, Brooklyn Nine Nine.

Prices need checking, straps falling off. :ROFLMAO:

Oh prices checked, signed off and and authorised. £249.99 shouldn't be anywhere near that. ;):ROFLMAO:

Swiss Ronda movement for under £250, lads if you know anything about watches......... :ROFLMAO:

Mike, it's a £10 movement, and the watch is £128 at these lot. :ROFLMAO:

Sold & shipped by Ideal Fashions
Which is ResultCo Aron Aker.

Don't agree with the catchall 'modern bad, old good'. There are good and bad in all periods. And different tastes and styles.

Modern good stuff, in my very personal opinion: Paul Chowdhry, Omid Djalili, Geoff Norcott, Simon Evans. IT Crowd, Big Bang Theory, Brooklyn Nine Nine.
I just mean I haven't found anything I've liked more recently. Believe me I have tried. I certainly don't think everything old is good and modern bad. As I said its not to my taste, not that it's 'bad'. I totally accept that comedy styles change over time.

Last edited:

IT Crowd 2006 modern? Some of those others have been around a while too.

Yeah, I mean there are so many current comedy greats, who's that toothy twat Rob summat, Jimmy Carr can tell a joke, er um Keith Lemon, Rosie Jones. Much better than Hancock, Morecambe & Wise, Cleese, Pete & Dud, Connolly, Rossiter, Atkinson, Smith & Jones, Gervais and Merchant, Harry & Paul...

Music too. Adele, Swift, Sheeran. So many world giants. Forget Elvis, the Beatles, Stones, Who, Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Carole King, Clapton, Bowie, Weller...

Just as there was a golden age of art (the old masters) and classical music (Bach, Beethoven, Mozart) I think this applies also to popular music and comedy. And it isn't now.

Latest posts

Back