Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Kev also said you won't have heard this from me or anyone else sitting at this table, 80 hours power reserve.

Well Kev, you're right nobody has said 80 hours, because it a ~75 hour power reserve movement, not 80 hours, and Bordell actually beat you too the punch (although he said 72 hour) as one of the Earnshaw watches on IW (Babbage High Beat) uses the same movement that the Landeron movement started life off as, the PTS 7500. Kev's obviously not interested in Earnshaw watches. :ROFLMAO:

What a mess of a show that was

Anyway onto the Mulberry Silk

This is another interesting thing a couple of years ago TJC went quite aggressive with the mulberry silk quilt pricing. One day Anshu let slip on air after a customer asked why the quilts were cheaper than Ideal World at the time (think it was £30 or close) that there was only one supplier of these quilts and went on to show they were the same product (not in as many words)

Roll forward to 2023 and TJC hasn't bought them to air for ages which at the time they did say would be the case because the costs had risen sky-high.

Not for the first time Ideal appears to be showing the same or very similar products for either a cheaper price or an item that another channel with low margins isn't showing on air ... (Mulberry, Christophe Duchamp a few cleaning products, gardening could be more)

Something doesn't add up.

Kev also said you won't have heard this from me or anyone else sitting at this table, 80 hours power reserve.

Well Kev, you're right nobody has said 80 hours, because it a ~75 hour power reserve movement, not 80 hours, and Bordell actually beat you too the punch (although he said 72 hour) as one of the Earnshaw watches on IW (Babbage High Beat) uses the same movement that the Landeron movement started life off as, the PTS 7500. Kev's obviously not interested in Earnshaw watches. :ROFLMAO:
🤣

Play-Doh sculptured man selling a mattress for £199.99, that albeit, looking at it via a 22" DER colour set in a teak-effect case with rudimentary tint control, appears to have a very large J-Cloth for its cover. Not very appealing looking. Then again, it could be worse, I could be on the same bed with the presenter.

I can't quite see how the 'powers that be' are allowing Dirty Peter on IW. Let's not get off on the wrong stance though, Ideal World has long long long ago stopped being an 'ok' shopping channel, back in the day when they had more than 6 ranges I mean. Yes non-believers, IW did used to stock about 5 ranges of jewellery, that's 5 RANGES, not 5 colours of ring :p They too used to have a fair few beauty ranges, and some other things which aren't Karcher, Wagner, Drill All, or Tower :p
Lately though, IW has become just the bog standard same few products we could all name if pressed; just rotated between Pick Of The Day, Blockbuster and fill-in other hour. I honestly don't see why they have paid the staff the last 2 years or more, surely just repeat the same one hour presentation, with least annoying member of staff and change the graphics? The treat viewers like we have brains made of potato anyway, so I'm thinking they could assume we wouldn't notice.
But now? Dirty Peter, who even makes Paul Brodel seem more Sidney Poitier than Sid James (as he usually comes accross) and poor Joe was noticeably cringing when he was presenting with him. Joe even had to point out that Peter had only once in 55 minutes said "Flexi-pay" correctly whilst laughing at him :) Peter can't even string a sentence together, its almost sad to watch. Meanwhile Mikey Barra-boi couldn't be more patronising if he tried, and Paul Beqcue and Gen seem to be in a perpetual shouting competition.
The channel, whilst I honestly thought had hit the very bottom, has sunk to new lows, the only plus being it's humorous and this splendid thread, much missed from the Bid forums, is back, with its many splendid contributors.
I shall, for one, be even more glued to IW now, for the comedy gold genuis of Dirty Peter, (who added a 'not only' in a written on screen quote of Thomas Kinkade last night :p) and the many many failings of the channel.
Thank you to the contributors of this thread, who will, no doubt have me spitting tea at the monitor as I LOL :)
Many presenters on shopping television are incredibly irritating, but they nevertheless have a watchable awfulness factor. The faux James Corden, on the other hand, is so incredibly obnoxious to the point of being unwatchable. Never have I, in my more than 20 years of laughing at shopping television, seen a presenter so proud of himself without giving any obvious justification for his feelings. In the worst way, he prevents me from enjoying something that might otherwise be entertaining to see. Just disgusting.

It's certainly a weird choice for a watch brand that a good number of people aged 40+ (myself included) would associate with car dealerships regardless of the company's past engineering exploits, and in turn subconsciously correlate those watches with the tacky gifts they would often give away with car purchases, especially when another chunk of that same demographic would be more likely to impulse buy a tacky watch from a TV shopping channel. Obviously there couldn't have been a Mann Egerton dealer anywhere near where the Fields family lived otherwise that idea would have been binned off before reaching production, plus it's also interesting that Mann Egerton watches now seem to be confined to late evening slots possibly because they hadn't sold as well as the others. D-, must try harder.
I always thought, as a joke, that one of the makers who just rebadge Chinese watches- Fields, ResultCo, or the rest, would eventually misunderstand ‘Are You Being Served’ and they would bring out a Grace Bros watch, thinking it was a real department store.
Well. It goes to show that in this world, everything silly does eventually happen somewhere. The watch below sold for $39 (which is still a bit high for any of these Chinese Mechanisms).
I so wish it had been called the ‘Mrs Slocum‘. :)

Attachments

• 37E3BB2D-DD77-4490-A2B6-03E99E517D44.jpeg
    37E3BB2D-DD77-4490-A2B6-03E99E517D44.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 46
I am sorry but I do not believe that automatic grand mont has a Swiss movement...plus it only had Swiss design on the reverse.
Exactly as Hammy says, it’s a 2196 (G) I think. They look pretty enough but of course none of the engraving on the movement is actual engraving- the parts are just stamped that way. We’d never repair one because a new movement (or probably a new watch) is so much cheaper than the time to repair- even if the parts were easier to get. That’s one of the reasons I find the IW line about handing them down to family to be so disingenuous.
I did dismantle one one, though - it was the first time I ever saw a watch mechanism with shims in it!!

It's kinda strange the way Ray 'Mulberry Silk' Kennedy talks, he talks like he works for Mulberry Silk Company itself. Like when he says the way they keep prices down is by cutting out the middle men, like wholesalers etc and dealing direct with the one seller in the UK, Ideal World. But he doesn't work for Mulberry Silk Co he works for a wholesaler & Retailer, Arkay Sales (UK) Ltd. I say works for, as the Arkay Sales Ltd that Ray originally owned and talks endlessly about the history of was dissolved a few years back and a new Arkay Sales (UK) Ltd launched by his son.
In other words he works for the middle men that he says he has cut out!

you couldn’t make it up!!

I used to watch Steve’s hours even If I didn’t want anything, on his Christmas Shows, he could easily talk you into buying a Pack of party hats, or a string of LED Lights
Didn’t Steve actually start Zhuzh? I’m not 100% on that, but I thought that towards the end of his (too short) life he started the company?
He always seemed to care about things more than the others- I remember his Christmas programmes especially…

Kevski's back and on about never seeing 80 hour power reserve and Mason agrees and says if you have you'll have needed to win the lottery twice to afford it.

47 years in the watch business and he's never heard of the Powermatic 80 (ETA C07.111), 80 hour power reserve used in loads of Tissot & Certina watches.
It actually quite hard to get a swatch group entry level watch that DOESN’T use the Powermatic 80. Sadly for me actually because we just send them to Swatch to swap the movements out when they need a service, rather than doing them ourselves.

It makes you wonder how much Kevski actually knows about watchmaking at all….

Many presenters on shopping television are incredibly irritating, but they nevertheless have a watchable awfulness factor. The faux James Corden, on the other hand, is so incredibly obnoxious to the point of being unwatchable. Never have I, in my more than 20 years of laughing at shopping television, seen a presenter so proud of himself without giving any obvious justification for his feelings. In the worst way, he prevents me from enjoying something that might otherwise be entertaining to see. Just disgusting.
Well said, Peter. Nice tribute.

Latest posts

Back