Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Open you mouth swallow your face on flogging some realistic🤣 parrots. There are two birdhouses on there and they are much better than the manky birds. I think the blue and yellow ones are meant to be macaws. Actual macaws are probably three times bigger than these.

Open you mouth swallow your face on flogging some realistic🤣 parrots. There are two birdhouses on there and they are much better than the manky birds. I think the blue and yellow ones are meant to be macaws. Actual macaws are probably three times bigger than these.
But these are IW3 macaws and like all their comparisons they don't need to conform to real world standards.

My African grey parrot is appalled at this representation of birds. He has used some explicit language and is currently sulking 🤣

The idea that the old players couldn't cut it nowadays is ludicrous. The likes of Charlton, Greaves, Best, Bremner and Co would flourish on the smooth modern pitches and their skills and fitness would be enhanced. You don't even see modern players dribbling past defenders now, it's a lost art.
Harder men playing back then. Dave Mackay, Barry Kitchener, Ron Harris, Tommy Smith etc.. Players growing up in tough post-war Britain when the good things in life had to be earned the hard way. You are spot on - flair players like Rodney Marsh, Alan Hudson, George Best etc. would flourish in today’s game. More support from officials and better pitches to play on.

That takes me back to when I first got cable tv and discovered the wonder of selly telly!

I had Aberdeen Cable in 86 then became Atlantic Telecom tried to expand to quick buying a German telecoms business then went bust 2001 and everybody had to get Sky, no alternative, Virgin never came this far North they stopped at Dundee so no cable up here now.

I had Aberdeen Cable in 86 then became Atlantic Telecom tried to expand to quick buying a German telecoms business then went bust 2001 and everybody had to get Sky, no alternative, Virgin never came this far North they stopped at Dundee so no cable up here now.
When I used to visit my friend she was the only one I knew who had cable and the most interesting channel was the burning log fire channel. Back in the 90s when you could find all manner of European crap to watch. But that's when I first saw QVC

Harder men playing back then. Dave Mackay, Barry Kitchener, Ron Harris, Tommy Smith etc.. Players growing up in tough post-war Britain when the good things in life had to be earned the hard way. You are spot on - flair players like Rodney Marsh, Alan Hudson, George Best etc. would flourish in today’s game. More support from officials and better pitches to play on.
Crikey, those names bring back memories. Used to go to football at least once a week from the mid 1960s to mid 1970s. Then it got too expensive and footballers got paid in one week what I earned in a year. Never watch it now.

Crikey, those names bring back memories. Used to go to football at least once a week from the mid 1960s to mid 1970s. Then it got too expensive and footballers got paid in one week what I earned in a year. Never watch it now.
Back then the differential in earnings between the fans and the top players were far less. People like Bobby Moore would drive say, a top of the range Ford, and live in nice enough semi in a good street. In the mid-60s, Moore might have been on around £200 or £300 a week when the average working man earned a tenth of that. Top players were still essentially accessible to the fans in all ways. Today’s players drive the very best cars, live in mansions or penthouses far from the rest of us, and the earnings gap between them and us runs into thousands, not tens. Now modern day top footballers are by design completely detached from the fans’ every day realities of life - unlike back in the 1960s/‘70s and ‘80s.

Back then the differential in earnings between the fans and the top players were far less. People like Bobby Moore would drive say, a top of the range Ford, and live in nice enough semi in a good street. In the mid-60s, Moore might have been on around £200 or £300 a week when the average working man earned a tenth of that. Top players were still essentially accessible to the fans in all ways. Today’s players drive the very best cars, live in mansions or penthouses far from the rest of us, and the earnings gap between them and us runs into thousands, not tens. Now modern day top footballers are by design completely detached from the fans’ every day realities of life - unlike back in the 1960s/‘70s and ‘80s.
Quite true. We regularly spoke with the players before the game. No big posh cars in those days. If my memory serves me right, Geoff Hurst drove a Ford Cortina. Nearly every home game we would stand on the terraces with John Dempsey’s mum. I worked in a hairdressers and used to wash George Cohen’s mums hair for her weekly shampoo and set. Both lovely down to earth ladies. Strange how you remember stuff from years ago but can’t remember what you went upstairs for!

Too true. It has all gone way beyond any reasonable ratio. I mean how is it justifiable that a top player can make more in a week than the average worker does in 10 years?

They live in gated mansions, drive Bentleys or Ferraris, often both, and like our politicians have no idea how ordinary people live. Nor do they care. What motivates them to get up for training in the morning?

Certainly not a win bonus.

Geoff Hurst, 1966 hatrick hero, went into insurance on retirement. Other greats ran pubs or set up sports shops. Now they "earn" enough to live in luxury forever when they pack up at 35 or less. They don't even need to go into coaching or management so what do they put back into the game?

Of course many would argue that this is the law of the marketplace. Millions pay to watch them through tickets or TV subscriptions. Capitalism unbridled.

I delivered papers to many Spurs players in the late 60s.

They lived well, detached houses in pleasant areas, decent motor on the drive but only on a par with top professionals in any other field.

Not like today.
My Dad was entertainments manager at Spurs in the early 1970s. He used to bring me in to White Hart Lane on a Sunday morning when he did the ground’s bars stock taking. The place appeared to be completely empty other than for me and him. I stood on the pitch with the whole of the empty stadium in front of me. And I still ended up supporting Crystal Palace!!

Trouble is, if you don't accept everything about today you are accused of being out of date, luddite, living in the past.

Only recently a "millennial" told me everything about modern life is better than in the past.

What? I said. Can't find a dentist, can't get a doctor's appointment, call centres, no Bobbies on the beat, dire auto tune sampled music, unfunny woke comedy to name a few!

Not to mention lack of community spirit. Oh I just did.

Instead we must embrace EVs and AI and every innovation without question. After all, we baby boomers had it easy didn't we? Houses were given away with cornflake packets. We didn't have to work hard or save.

Yeah, sure.

Latest posts

Back