Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I don't like the emotional blackmail that comes with this 'buy this product and provide a meal for children' routine.

I belong to a group that offers last minute, often quite cheap theatre tickets. When you book you have the chance to add 50p to your booking for an NHS charity. To do this you have to click the box, it's automatically set to no. I always do it because my ticket was cheap and no emotional blackmail.

The reason we keep seeing the same crappy items for sale again and again is because that has been the plan all along. By 2031, the company plans to provide one million meals per day to children in need, which is an ambitious goal. They wanted Ideal Worlds IP and broadcasting rights so they could reach a broader customer base by introducing cross-selling opportunities that boost overall sales.
Yes, I get that. But where is the audience to sustain that objective? People happy to buy bargain basement type goods that in most cases (if not all) can be bought cheaper elsewhere. Why not rebrand themselves “FREE MEAL WORLD” and give a free dash cam with every charitable donation over £10? Or a cane for over £20. Some Gammon and streaky packs for anything over £30 and beyond…etc..That way people would feel rewarded back for donating.

One Small Day, how did I forget that 🥰
It’s a hard lesson to take, that all we can do now is nostalgically look back on the then hip and trendy, vital bands from the 1980s with the same feelings as our parents used to remember Russ Conway, Vera Lynn, Arthur Askey and The Andrews Sisters (great band - Arthur and the girls..) when we were actually living in that decade. Having to accept that many of the coolest people like Prince, Freddie, George Michael, Bowie and many others are now dead and gone, or people like Midge Ure and his fellow Ultravox bandmates are now old men in their 70s.. Ask a young person today about Ultravox, for example, and they would more than likely think it was a new brand of ear buds….These young, good-looking ‘70s and ‘80s’ pop star young men and women with charisma, now old people, if they are lucky. Of course, it’s all cyclical, and the same thing will be happening to today’s twenty and thirty somethings in forty years time. But it is hard to be the current incumbents of those feelings of loss of your own youth and other people’s.

Yes, I get that. But where is the audience to sustain that objective? People happy to buy bargain basement type goods that in most cases (if not all) can be bought cheaper elsewhere. Why not rebrand themselves “FREE MEAL WORLD” and give a free dash cam with every charitable donation over £10? Or a cane for over £20. Some Gammon and streaky packs for anything over £30 and beyond…etc..That way people would feel rewarded back for donating.
I have just expressed my personal opinion about what I think and believe is happening. It's possible that I'm totally wrong, and I hope that's the case. They believe that Ideal World's strong market presence can help them reach a larger customer base.

I have just expressed my personal opinion about what I think and believe is happening. It's possible that I'm totally wrong, and I hope that's the case. They believe that Ideal World's strong market presence can help them reach a larger customer base.
That's what I have been getting at when we were talking about this when IW was purchased. It's weird but even bad publicity is good publicity because brand recognition is gold dust

Natalia always tells us that Opatra is the best. Now she is telling us to buy a similar-looking and similarly-priced device made by AVOLOGI.
The best is what’s on screen at the moment 🤣🤣🤣 I watched a bit of it this morning, as Natalia was showcasing a Filorga product which I had bought from TJC earlier in the week. The presentations could not have been more different. She completely missed out the first step of application, which was stressed by Chloe in her presentation and backed by the Filorga made VT. Natalia had an ‘Expert’ with her, who had obviously dialled in from a Beauty Salon - judging be the horrendous pink chandeliers and curtain tie backs. She was clearly reading from something off screen and then proceeded to show us four pieces of photocopy paper with ingredients badly written in black marker. So unprofessional, but I don’t know why I’m surprised.

Did they though? I wouldn’t have thought after their many financial struggles that they were. I only ever ever watched IW when it started, with Paul Lavers and Debbie Flint, when they left QVC. I think I lasted about 3 months before the shambles that it was sent me scurrying back to QVC. TJC has been a going a long time now, one of the larges suppliers jewellery out there, unlikely to have any financial issues. Are there that many more customers to attract from a channel which with a checkered past?

The best is what’s on screen at the moment 🤣🤣🤣 I watched a bit of it this morning, as Natalia was showcasing a Filorga product which I had bought from TJC earlier in the week. The presentations could not have been more different. She completely missed out the first step of application, which was stressed by Chloe in her presentation and backed by the Filorga made VT. Natalia had an ‘Expert’ with her, who had obviously dialled in from a Beauty Salon - judging be the horrendous pink chandeliers and curtain tie backs. She was clearly reading from something off screen and then proceeded to show us four pieces of photocopy paper with ingredients badly written in black marker. So unprofessional, but I don’t know why I’m surprised.

Ain't that a fact.

The amount of times the IW presenters contradict themselves selling products is endless, how many times have we heard Peter Simon with his usual start to a sales pitch "this is probably the best <product> we've ever seen" yet a day later same pitch with a similar product from a different brand, they're liars pure and simple, they'll say what ever is needed to sell that product on that show even if it contradicts previous shows.

It’s a hard lesson to take, that all we can do now is nostalgically look back on the then hip and trendy, vital bands from the 1980s with the same feelings as our parents used to remember Russ Conway, Vera Lynn, Arthur Askey and The Andrews Sisters (great band - Arthur and the girls..) when we were actually living in that decade. Having to accept that many of the coolest people like Prince, Freddie, George Michael, Bowie and many others are now dead and gone, or people like Midge Ure and his fellow Ultravox bandmates are now old men in their 70s.. Ask a young person today about Ultravox, for example, and they would more than likely think it was a new brand of ear buds….These young, good-looking ‘70s and ‘80s’ pop star young men and women with charisma, now old people, if they are lucky. Of course, it’s all cyclical, and the same thing will be happening to today’s twenty and thirty somethings in forty years time. But it is hard to be the current incumbents of those feelings of loss of your own youth and other people’s.

Sad but true. I went to see Bryan Ferry and thought ‘God’, he looks like a geography teacher’ . (Apologies to all geography teachers, but you know what I mean). While, I on the other hand haven’t aged. Or my eyesight is so bad, I can’t see the wrinkles. You decide, but it’s definitely not Opatra 🤣🤣

Did they though? I wouldn’t have thought after their many financial struggles that they were. I only ever ever watched IW when it started, with Paul Lavers and Debbie Flint, when they left QVC. I think I lasted about 3 months before the shambles that it was sent me scurrying back to QVC. TJC has been a going a long time now, one of the larges suppliers jewellery out there, unlikely to have any financial issues. Are there that many more customers to attract from a channel which with a checkered past?

Although they were a **** run business with no morals, their sales were pretty high (larger than TJC), so while they made a loss they had a fairly large customer base that TJC could exploit.

I freely admit you would find it had to find someone more died in the wool cynical than me so feel free to discount my view.
it’s a WIN WIN strategy for them.
they get a larger customer base (increase their business), make even bigger profit selling low priced crap at inflated prices which easily covers the cost of the meals they donate with no actual cost to themselves.
Improve their image as a careing alltrusic company get tax breaks for charitable donations. Meanwhile soft hearted customers buy crap that soon ends up in the bin increasing waste we are trying to decrease but hay ho who care They look good because they are feeding children a 27p meal

Latest posts

Back