Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Just tuned in for a quick skeg. There is a new younger model who has been asked to model a flowered flannel fleece pyjama set that looks like the pattern from my grandmother's old curtains from the 80s.
Surprisingly they haven’t given her a mic, probably afraid a younger model, will say what she really thinks

Surprisingly they haven’t given her a mic, probably afraid a younger model, will say what she really thinks
I am just assuming she was a new model. She could have been a member of the production staff, for all I know. I only briefly flicked on at about twenty past the hour. Whoever she was, she didn't look happy even though she had to pretend they were a great fit.

Oh that was a nice trip down Memory Lane. Might be an Ultravox afternoon! Mr X …….
Monument- the drums ending on The Voice. One of the most electric, visually exciting live performances by Ultravox or any other band I have ever seen.
that brings back memories of listening to the superb 'the collection' album in my dads cavalier going to away rugby matches as a kid, nearly 40 years ago now! time really does fly.

that brings back memories of listening to the superb 'the collection' album in my dads cavalier going to away rugby matches as a kid, nearly 40 years ago now! time really does fly.
It does. And the collection is fantastic.
I remember ‘Passing Strangers’ coming out as the single after Vienna, thinking it was the best thing I’d heard, and it slipping away without becoming a hit. On one of the live albums, Midge introduces it by saying it more or less lost them all they’d made from ‘Vienna’.

I bet you all know this, but I only just found out Midge is called that because his name is Jim. And Jim backwards is Mij….

He was very diplomatic about Geldof’s utter musical inability when making ‘Do they Know It’s Christmas ?’ Diplomatic, but left you in no doubt that Midge had to do all the musical work on it!

Anyone else love ‘Lament’.
An old GF of mine was always watching ‘Loves Great Adventure’. Should’ve been a clue - she emigrated and went to live in a jungle (honestly!)
🤣🤣

like you say, time flies. But Ultravox and Gary Numan (especially ‘Are Friends…’)still sound like the future to me…

I remember ‘Passing Strangers’ coming out as the single after Vienna, thinking it was the best thing I’d heard, and it slipping away without becoming a hit. On one of the live albums, Midge introduces it by saying it more or less lost them all they’d made from ‘Vienna’.

I bet you all know this, but I only just found out Midge is called that because his name is Jim. And Jim backwards is Mij….

He was very diplomatic about Geldof’s utter musical inability when making ‘Do they Know It’s Christmas ?’ Diplomatic, but left you in no doubt that Midge had to do all the musical work on it!

An old GF of mine was always watching ‘Loves Great Adventure’. Should’ve been a clue - she emigrated and went to live in a jungle (honestly!)
🤣🤣

like you say, time flies. But Ultravox and Gary Numan (especially ‘Are Friends…’)still sound like the future to me…
Lament and Hymn are two of my favourites. And I can remember my ex and I driving to Vienna and playing ‘Vienna’ on our CD player in the car as we arrived. God, we thought we were cool…..

Lament and Hymn are two of my favourites. And I can remember my ex and I driving to Vienna and playing ‘Vienna’ on our CD player in the car as we arrived. God, we thought we were cool…..
Hiroshima from Foxx’s Ultravox. The Ure version - Lament, Sleepwalk, The Voice, Hymn are all up there. This is my favourite….from the reunion...

I was so happy when they got together again and saw them at The Roundhouse in Camden and supporting Simple Minds at the O2. They were still amazing, all those years later.

🤣🤣

I didn't know that fact about the midge part Prof, interesting to know, had never crossed my mind his name might be something diff. As you say passing strangers was a cracking one was one of those albums that could be played over and over, there wasn't a bad track on it. Music was so much better in the 80s and the bands had real characters. I couldn't tell you what is in the charts today :ROFLMAO:

I bought the 12” of Vienna in some long gone record shop in Wood Green in north London in 1981. I bought pretty much most of their singles output from that point and Sleepwalk and Passing Strangers before it. Other than my Monument VHS tape, I never saw them live in the flesh as it were. Missed the chance now.

As has been mentioned - Lament is one of their best. It also has a wonderful video to go with the song:-

I bought the 12” of Vienna in some long gone record shop in Wood Green in north London in 1981. I bought pretty much most of their singles output from that point and Sleepwalk and Passing Strangers before it. Other than my Monument VHS tape, I never saw them live in the flesh as it were. Missed the chance now.

As has been mentioned - Lament is one of their best. It also has a wonderful video to go with the song:-

One Small Day, how did I forget that 🥰

Latest posts

Back