Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I love the award-winning Peter Simon. He's my favourite TV personality. He comes with all the best catchphrases and not only tells it like it is but tells it like it isn't. If I could spend £11 to receive a Cameo birthday message from an IW presenter it would be Peter Simon. Sadly, Peter Simon's Cameo messages are not on flexi pays and I can't press the hash key to buy them :(

My message would be:

"Hello Herring, okay. My dear friend Barbara, who've been a star of TV for many years, tells me it's your Birthday, right. And I—how many years has Herring got left, Charlie? [pause] It that it? Right [whoops] don't hang about with this, okay. Not only of the breathing, not only of the heartbeats and the speaking, not— and I really do mean this; in all my 30 years of shopping TV expereince, okay, this is quite simply the best message one could possibly aspire to own. Go and 'av a life."

I would kiss my own sherpa-lined anorak upon receiving that.
If you did get a message like this he'd advise you to insure it😂

Literally laugh out loud.

Watched a bit of PS on YT feed using the handheld vac. He's saying 'THIS IS AMAZING!!!' as the thing struggles to pick up a grain of sugar.

As for the dog toy things selling for £12.99 each, a fiver's more like it and dear at that!!

Who the feck is buying this tat?!?

and Gammon is back ...

Rob with the Gammon was brilliant.

First thing he said was something like: “I’ll get the obvious out of the way: its an awful brand name, so let’s forget about that…“ and he later joked that it doesnt smell like meat despite what it says on the bottle.

No mention of luxury, high end, in demand, £1000 price tags, unbelievable price, one time deal, or “the fragrance of 2024”; no “trust me on this fellas: wear this and the ladies will be all over you”; no contorting his face in am dram ecstasy over each squirt… (taking it out he noticed his presentation bottles weren’t half empty and said “thats a first“).

I don’t think he said the brand name once either, so no pretendy pronouncing it Gammoné.

He sold it for what it is: it’s a scent that was £19.99, which for 40ml of EDP is competitive.

And, giving us a hint of his thoughts on it, had a little chat about how he finds a lot of modern men’s fragrances as similar, scared of being distinctive so that they can be worn by everybody - “they all smell zesty, bright” he said. Then he held the Gammon up and said - perhaps unaware, but I imagine not - “and this is one of those”.

Love that man.

Last edited:
You get the distinct impression this issue is not a channel edict on how to sell, but tools of the trade carried from channel to channel by the peripatetic three over the years, and those who decided to copy that big every item up and up and up culture of theirs. I think if you watch Mason, Jacks and Simon on shopping television fifteen, twenty years ago, and on whatever channel they were on at the time, the basic routine is the same. If Rob sold the aftershave as you say he did (I didn’t see it), it is clear you can sell realistically and still keep your job there. It’s just five or six of them choose not to.

Rob with the Gammon was brilliant.

First thing he said was something like: “I’ll get the obvious out of the way: its an awful brand name, so let’s forget about that…“ and he later joked that it doesnt smell like meat despite what it says on the bottle.

No mention of luxury, high end, in demand, £1000 price tags, unbelievable price, one time deal, or “the fragrance of 2024”; no “trust me on this fellas: wear this and the ladies will be all over you”; no contorting his face in am dram ecstasy over each squirt… (taking it out he noticed his presentation bottles weren’t half empty and said “thats a first“).

I don’t think he said the brand name once either, so no pretendy pronouncing it Gammoné.

He sold it for what it is: it’s a scent that was £19.99, which for 40ml of EDP is competitive.

And, giving us a hint of his thoughts on it, had a little chat about how he finds a lot of modern men’s fragrances as similar, scared of being distinctive so that they can be worn by everybody - “they all smell zesty, bright” he said. Then he held the Gammon up and said - perhaps unaware, but I imagine not - “and this is one of those”.

Love that man.
So not the shysters version from the usual suspects, where it’s from one of the finest perfumeries in the world and worth £300.

I do think Rob is a good bloke, he knows the score and isn't trying to hoodwink punters. He has morals. His colleagues could learn a lot.

You get the distinct impression this issue is not a channel edict on how to sell, but tools of the trade carried from channel to channel by the peripatetic three over the years, and those who decided to copy that big every item up and up and up culture of theirs. I think if you watch Mason, Jacks and Simon on shopping television fifteen, twenty years ago, and on whatever channel they were on at the time, the basic routine is the same. If Rob sold the aftershave as you say he did (I didn’t see it), it is clear you can sell realistically and still keep your job there. It’s just five or six of them choose not to.
The difference in selling technics is glaring
there’s the « how can I make this item look/sound appealing and get People to try it»
v the ego behind
the » doesn’t matter what item I’m selling they will buy it just because it’s me selling it and I’m telling them they need to buy it »

Last edited:
Who decided they would give him 3 hours of fashion needs a word with themselves
II am ambivalent on this, yes the « girls you need to buy this » irritates the carp out of me but he does defer to the models view to back him up.
when I compared it to
Sally’s I’m a fashion expert, a you tube expert , face book ´whatever internet platform´ influencer, and people follow ME because I’m ME so you need to buy it because I’m telling you it’s the LATEST fashion and I’m telling you it’s AMASING, , phenomenal and other OTT bull shin

Latest posts

Back