Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think he fell out of the honesty tree and hit every branch on the way down. Unlike some others.
I have noticed him say 'I am being told'. in other words if this turns out to be bull from the production staff it's not from me. He is a much more credible person and appears to be giving an honest opinion, no wild claims being made. Get the impression he has a social media presence and doesn't want to look a t!t by giving it large on cheapo products

The point is, for me, it is not compulsory to be disingenuous on that channel. It seems to me if a presenter like Rob can be transparent and honest in his approach, and decline to show these ridiculous indirect price comparisons, comparing their cheap items with those costing hundreds of pounds more in some cases, but of not the remotest comparable quality, and still continues to work there - presenter choice to participate or not is an option. Rob was also tremendously candid about the benefits of those small electric heaters in his presentation.

We all know who the usual suspects are, who go along with those type of things. It is boring to even discuss their techniques. I find it more interesting to focus on people like Rob, Simona, Heather and the long-haired lady, all of whom do the job perfectly well, but in a very different way. I hope Jeremy will permanently join this school of presenting, and not end up being dragged down the back of the Ideal World classroom, throwing paper darts at informed choice selling.
Jeremy has quickly gone into default 'im an IW noob mode' happily reeling out those daft comparison prices like a parrot.

Jeremy has quickly gone into default 'im an IW noob mode' happily reeling out those daft comparison prices like a parrot.
It’s a pity. He’s obviously an intelligent guy. Sad to see him accepting what the Gallery kids tell him to say, rather than go his own way like Rob etc.. That said, Rob has worked for the parent channel for a lot of years, and is probably in a much stronger position to make those choices, rather than somebody taken on far more recently.

Earlier this morning when I tuned in, I noticed that Lindsey is also a trichologist, and she has an extremely high opinion of herself. I just turned on again and quickly turned off again, as soon as I saw the raving egomaniac Sally.
If she (Lindsey) was made of chocolate, she would eat herself.

The point is, for me, it is not compulsory to be disingenuous on that channel. It seems to me if a presenter like Rob can be transparent and honest in his approach, and decline to show these ridiculous indirect price comparisons, comparing their cheap items with those costing hundreds of pounds more in some cases, but of not the remotest comparable quality, and still continues to work there - presenter choice to participate or not is an option. Rob was also tremendously candid about the benefits of those small electric heaters in his presentation.

We all know who the usual suspects are, who go along with those type of hysterical tactics. It is boring to even discuss their techniques. I find it more interesting to focus on people like Rob, Simona, Heather and the long-haired lady, all of whom do the job perfectly well, but in a very different way. I hope Jeremy will permanently join this school of presenting, and not end up being dragged down the back of the Ideal World classroom, throwing paper darts at informed choice selling.

It's pretty obvious that these four haven't been brought up with the previous IW ethos, Shysters Inc. Rob is probably the most natural out of the four as a presenter, which given his previous experiences is not surprising, the three girls to me are not so natural but finding their feet and doing okay so far. The only worry i have for them retaining their innocence is their lack of product knowledge (being newbies) and being around the old IW crew and picking up all the wrong habits and information, as an example think it was yesterday or probably day before Annie (long-haired lady) was selling watches and she said how much she had learned about watches from Emma Boydell on a show they did together the day before, which for me says if she's depending on Emma for her horology knowledge then she's on a downhill slope, and is a sure sign she'll end up repeating the nonsense that Emma (and the other goons) spouts.

Jeremy, I don't know from his acting, IW is the first time i've seen the guy, but he certainly doesn't look at ease as a presenter to me, may improve with more time. but he doesn't seem a natural for shopping tv.

You wonder if he (Jeremy) is there through choice? He looks like a fairly cultured bloke in a decent suit, on his way to a managerial job interview, who went through the wrong door at the job centre and ended up taking a job as a lollipop man. He looks like the condemned man at times at having to enthuse about the kind of stuff you’d walk past in Poundland. Teaching drama to young actors seems far more his bag, rather than flogging cheap ones with teenagers shouting in his ears.

The three of them act like it is a combination of 1975 for their rhetoric and 2003 for the selling tactics. You get sick of it in the end as the patter never changes. For me, all three of them, talk at you rather than to you. The better, younger ones without the former channel association, talk to you rather than at you. Such a refreshing change.

What else could they do? Simon could go back to Junior Showtime…Mason back to electrical work and Jacks as a giant advertising toilet roll - walking up and down the high street with a placard saying ‘**** on Me’

Latest posts

Back