Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Oh my goodness. Mason’s philosophies of life and relationship advice. No idea what he’s on about but it is mindbending to listen to and incredibly patronising.
yeah it's kind of like, let me take you under my wing young man, I'll tell you how to pull the birds and treat a lady right

This appears to be yet another long-term sold product from the parent channel. Of course, no mention of that will be made on this channel tonight. Just go over to their website (TJC) and judge customer reaction for yourself.

20 or so minutes left for the good doctor to appear - and counting.

Back in the 90s when I used to go clubbing, a mate got hold of this 'Men Behaving Badly' chat up lines book. It was very small but he used to bring it out and rattle off the lines from it. The trouble is it never really worked. He was trying too hard. I used to just sit by the stage and mind my own business and got approached by girls who wanted me to go on the dance floor, or just chat and have normal conversation. To me Mike Mason is the Men Behaving Badly Chat up lines book. I never went out with that mindset because in my early days when I was very young I did try too hard and it comes across as desperate. I do find it amusing when he comes off with romantic 'tips'

I've actually watched my first watch show, this one - - -

But he gave absolutely no info about the watch! What are the 3 small dials???? Obviously one is a moon phase, but what do all the figures mean? And there was nothing on the website about these either, even though I clicked on Product Details. You would think the presenter would focus on all these features, but not even mentioned (apart from the moon).

And on the website, all the pics said "Hover to zoom" but on my PC it only worked on one of the pics.

Rob, well done, mate. Demonstrating and wearing a puffer jacket, he then said: “They want me to show you this.” This’ being a fanciful ‘£300 Not Direct Comparison’ puffer jacket page that Mason showed and commented on when he was modelling the same £39.99 coats. “Get out of here.” “Take it off.” Rob made no further comment and moved on. Hugely refreshing attitude. He clearly thought the comparison was ridiculous and refused to get involved with it.

Rob, well done, mate. Demonstrating and wearing a puffer jacket, he then said: “They want me to show you this.” This’ being a fanciful ‘£300 Not Direct Comparison’ puffer jacket page that Mason showed and commented on when he was modelling the same £39.99 coats. “Get out of here.” “Take it off.” Rob made no further comment and moved on. Hugely refreshing attitude. He clearly thought the comparison was ridiculous and refused to get involved with it.

Top bloke 👏

IW mk2 had a standup Rob in Rob Locke
IW mk3 has a standup Rob in Rob Lamarr

<snip>

And on the website, all the pics said "Hover to zoom" but on my PC it only worked on one of the pics.

I can't help you in identifying what the complications do sadly, but I was able to look at the pics.

And they're amusing.

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 00.17.17.jpg

To me, nothing screams I was made cheaply in China™ more than low-effort, unconvincing product photos like that.

But maybe William Hunt is beyond such traditionally. It's a prestigious, luxury, high-end brand. Why book a photographer and a model when the pics the Chinese makers sent over 5 minutes with Google Images and Microsoft Paint will do.

Last edited:
I've actually watched my first watch show, this one - - -

But he gave absolutely no info about the watch! What are the 3 small dials???? Obviously one is a moon phase, but what do all the figures mean? And there was nothing on the website about these either, even though I clicked on Product Details. You would think the presenter would focus on all these features, but not even mentioned (apart from the moon).

It's a 60 minute chronograph movement with a Sun/Moon (day/night) indicator.

Description is pretty bad, the sub dial a 3 o clock is a 24 hr sub dial with a day/night - sun/moon indicator not a moonphase, as it has the 24 hr numerals normally this sub dial would have the a disc (sun/moon) and hand (24 hr), but without the hand the numbers are pretty pointless, there's no point putting the 24 hr numbers on the sub dial unless you have the hand, why they didn't put a hand on is beyond me.

Sub dial at 6 o clock is the chronograph seconds hand, and the sub dial at 9 is the chronograph minutes hand.

definitely one of the nicer shysters, he knew he was talking shyte but at least he had a silly smirk while doing it

He was one of the few that actually gave a lot more detailed description of the watches, ie naming movements and functions, although often overegged the movements and got things wrong through ignorance, he claimed to have been in the industry for 40 odd years but his knowledge at times was akin to a newbie. Personally thought his presentation style got worse over the years, trying to compete with the other shyster watch "experts" he went from a fairly okay guest to joining the ranks of the shyters, a bit like if you can't beat them join them, came out with some crap near the end of the old IW.

The point is, for me, it is not compulsory to be disingenuous on that channel. It seems to me if a presenter like Rob can be transparent and honest in his approach, and decline to show these ridiculous indirect price comparisons, comparing their cheap items with those costing hundreds of pounds more in some cases, but of not the remotest comparable quality, and still continues to work there - presenter choice to participate or not is an option. Rob was also tremendously candid about the benefits of those small electric heaters in his presentation.

We all know who the usual suspects are, who go along with those type of hysterical tactics. It is boring to even discuss their techniques. I find it more interesting to focus on people like Rob, Simona, Heather and the long-haired lady, all of whom do the job perfectly well, but in a very different way. I hope Jeremy will permanently join this school of presenting, and not end up being dragged down the back of the Ideal World classroom, throwing paper darts at informed choice selling.

Latest posts

Back