Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

That's what happened to Frankie Howerd at the end of his career. So, not content with trying to emulate Larry Grayson and nicking Brucie's catchphrase, suddenly PS is doing a 'direct comparison' with Frankie Howerd.

I saw a programme on C5 recently about Frankie Howerd, they showed clips from his initial uni gig with the Oxford Union, he went down a storm. He made a comment about not being an intellectual and they roared with laughter. He pretended to be affronted and replied "so that's why I feel so at home here!" Which elicited further raucous laughter. They loved him!

I'd love some details of Peter Simon's (alleged) uni gigs. Not that I'm suggesting they didn't take place of course...🤔
I read somewhere about him (Simon) on some other forum about celebrity encounters in everyday life. A contributor to the thread who knew of him living in the area said they went into a garage to pay for fuel and he was there at the counter, telling the assistant that he used to be in Going Live (decades earlier presumably). Perhaps, star stuck, the assistant had recognised him and that was the response. Or it could be an opening line he uses at every shop he visits. We’ll never know on that one. But he does seem to frequently inadvertently focus on some old camp celebrity or other, and like the university gigs comment, appears then to take on a similar history. Maybe that is true - the gigs. Maybe it an embellishment? Maybe it never happened. His imagination and his racing juggling mental plates and dropping them mind in general on air are often impossible to follow. He races off at tangents constantly. You just can’t follow or pin down personal truths or fantasies with his manic patter.

Random comment on a random thread.
flicked channels to see what beauty product was currently on air for us old (I’m 73) wrinkly arthritic customers.
listened to why I should spend £69 on a 50ml One Truth 818 anti-ageing Atomizer and while listening to the reasons why £69 was a small price to pay for the benefits I would gain I decided to go for as it would be a really good ideal both for my physical and mental health to spend said £69

on

20 reusable lidded seed trays
20 litres of seed compost
a 3litre tub of dried meal worms
and a 5litre tub of sunflower seeds
😶‍🌫️

Last edited:
A contributor to the thread who knew of him living in the area said they went into a garage to pay for fuel and he was there at the counter, telling the assistant that he used to be in Going Live (decades earlier presumably). Perhaps, star stuck, the assistant had recognised him and that was the response. Or it could be an opening line he uses at every shop he visits. We’ll never know on that one.
Perhaps he regularly 'forgets' his card, and only 'realises' that after having put £70 of diesel into the Rover. He then remonstrates with the poor girl in the kiosk - 'do you know who I am - I used to be on Going-fucking-Live'.

He still has to fill the form in, and return within 24 hours...

I read somewhere about him (Simon) on some other forum about celebrity encounters in everyday life. A contributor to the thread who knew of him living in the area said they went into a garage to pay for fuel and he was there at the counter, telling the assistant that he used to be in Going Live (decades earlier presumably). Perhaps, star stuck, the assistant had recognised him and that was the response. Or it could be an opening line he uses at every shop he visits. We’ll never know on that one. But he does seem to frequently inadvertently focus on some old camp celebrity or other, and like the university gigs comment, appears then to take on a similar history. Maybe that is true - the gigs. Maybe it an embellishment? Maybe it never happened. His imagination and his racing juggling mental plates and dropping them mind in general on air are often impossible to follow. He races off at tangents constantly. You just can’t follow or pin down personal truths or fantasies with his manic patter.
I can imagine him going around and introducing himself, unbidden, to shop staff.
‘I used to be Ronald McDonald once, you know….’
(Staff member reaches for the panic button)
🤣🤣

Well a good few years ago when my friend lived in Dundee we went to a student pub quiz (We weren't students but it was open to all) and I was only there for a week. I found out if I had stayed longer Pat Sharp of Radio One and Fun House fame was going to be the quizmaster the following week (this was well beyond his prime time heyday), so who knows

That's what happened to Frankie Howerd at the end of his career. So, not content with trying to emulate Larry Grayson and nicking Brucie's catchphrase, suddenly PS is doing a 'direct comparison' with Frankie Howerd.

I saw a programme on C5 recently about Frankie Howerd, they showed clips from his initial uni gig with the Oxford Union, he went down a storm. He made a comment about not being an intellectual and they roared with laughter. He pretended to be affronted and replied "so that's why I feel so at home here!" Which elicited further raucous laughter. They loved him!

I'd love some details of Peter Simon's (alleged) uni gigs. Not that I'm suggesting they didn't take place of course...🤔
he stole Frankie's catchphrases too 'ooh er missus. shush no behave yourself and please yourself' etc etc

Latest posts

Back