Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I really don’t know enough about electricity costs in relation to individual items. They are espousing regularly when they sell these portable heaters - don’t heat your house, heat yourself. Nice slogan, but do you really save money using one of these things over using your radiators? I wonder how many of these shopping television presenters sit in one room in an centrally unheated house, by using a fan heater to save money? And do you…save money? Whereas, if you had a smaller property and had the central heating on in your living room, and also in your bedroom, that’s two rooms kept consistently warm – rather than taking the fan heater to an already cold room, and then having to use that to warm it up. They also fail to mention that most people who have radiators in a property have the facility to turn radiators down, or completely off in the rooms they are not using at the time.

If you're just using one of these low wattage (500/1000w) heater heaters they are selling, then you will save money, but you'll be stuck in that room and you're going to have a very cold/freezing house overall, think of freezing everytime you visit the toilet or have a bath/shower, plus more chance of frozen pipes, damp/mould etc.
Once you get into the 2kw heaters/ceramic radiator, then your savings will be very little against using central heating with thermostatic radiator valves, but once you move onto having more than one 2 kw heater then central heating will beat it hands down for running costs.

Again!! Is this being done to try and intimidate, do U think? A warning that we are being monitored.......da da duh!! I don't like that it is always Hammy, that is a bit suss!!

If they're trying to imtimidate it ain't working, just makes them even more shyster scumbags than they already are.

We don't need a warning we are being monitored, we've known for years they read here.

Probably picking on my nick, a) because of the quite a few ASA complaints i've made and b) i'm probably the most negative person here about IW and their presenters/management/backroom staff, unlike most here who would like the channel to survive but with changes, ie be run in a more honest and moral manner, i'd celebrate seeing the scumbag channel shut down, as far as i'm concerened some of these presenters, especially the ISD, IW mk2 ones, haven't had their karma yet.

Totally agree - to clarify, I was agreeing with what you were saying originally

I figured you were, but just for anyone coming to this thread late, I wanted to underline what I meant (not that anyone really cares haha).

On a broader point, while I'm a fan of "if it works for you, and it's not going to harm you, have at it", the whole Emu oil presentations irk me in particular, not least because the entire framing on IW is designed to exploit the sort of woes people of a certain age (they know their viewers) will be mindful of or worrying about. Many will be in genuine pain and are being encouraged to disbelieve doctors and trust salesman.

And lo, Pedro Simone gurns away extolling the virtues of his miraculous 'cure all' that can help with this, that and the other — "but I'm not making health claims" he'll interject when prompted by earpiece "…because I'm not a medical professional", before carrying on to insist how it can help with this, that, and the other.

Even that's disingenuous. The reason you can't make health claims Pedro is NOT because you're not a medical professional —neither's Dr Lopitoff 🤭— but because Emu oil sellers can't back up any claims up with proof, thus aren't regulated, thus can't "lie" 😉.

But who needs proof when you have endless unsubstantiated anecdotes!

"So many people swear by this, okay. My dear friend Barbara tried it, right, and she says: 'Peter, it's worked wonders for me'".

Oh week, if your imaginary friend Barbera says it works…

The plural of anecdotes is not data, Peter. It's just anecdotes.

"Derrick, don't call the GP — call IW. One of the presenter's friends says a potion he's selling worked for her. I trust anecdotes more than I trust Big Pharma, they're just in it for the money!!! IW would never be so cynical…"

Last edited:
I really don’t know enough about electricity costs in relation to individual items. They are espousing regularly when they sell these portable heaters - don’t heat your house, heat yourself. Nice slogan, but do you really save money using one of these things over using your radiators? I wonder how many of these shopping television presenters sit in one room in an centrally unheated house, by using a fan heater to save money? And do you…save money? Whereas, if you had a smaller property and had the central heating on in your living room, and also in your bedroom, that’s two rooms kept consistently warm – rather than taking the fan heater to an already cold room, and then having to use that to warm it up. They also fail to mention that most people who have radiators in a property have the facility to turn radiators down, or completely off in the rooms they are not using at the time.
Theres the added complication that even now, gas is considerably cheaper per KwH than electricity. So if you wanted the effect they are saying and you have gas central heating - all you’d need do is turn down the radiators in rooms you don’t use. No need to buy a fan heater, using electricity which is about 39% dearer, like-for-like than electricity.

Those women’s sunglasses are comically appalling on a man. Are they seriously implying a man would want to wear those? Again, why don’t they tell you where the direct comparison or the indirect comparison comes from in terms of the rival retailer? Constant smoke and mirrors.
Made me think of Edna Everage….

Theres the added complication that even now, gas is considerably cheaper per KwH than electricity. So if you wanted the effect they are saying and you have gas central heating - all you’d need do is turn down the radiators in rooms you don’t use. No need to buy a fan heater, using electricity which is about 39% dearer, like-for-like than electricity.

The cost of electric heaters is made worse still because, as someone mentioned earlier, their heat dissipates the second they're off. If you're trying to keep a room warm they have to be on so, thus you end up running them more… using more electricity.

With gas central heating (or even electric ceramic and oil radiators to varying degrees, pun intended) there's a residual heat that lingers for a while. In fact, I think that was often mentioned as a "con" of electric heaters during the old Vollabore-fronted ceramic radiator shows.

Electric heaters are great for immediate heat, and have their uses, but the melodramatic use-cases and exaggerated claims of savings versus central heating are yawnsome.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back