Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I do buy and watch.

And so do we! So what’s with constantly tone policing people in the various forums here? 🤔

I would prefer you not to tell me to "log off".

After just telling us to “switch off”?

My friend, it is clear for all the world to see that thou art a troll.

And so do we! So what’s with constantly tone policing people in the various forums here? 🤔

After just telling us to “switch off”?

My friend, it is clear for all the world to see that thou art a troll.
And not a very good one either. Ridiculing grammatical errors but promoting equally ridiculous arguments.

Hi there,

A few weeks ago, I answered a few of the questions that were put to me on here about my time working on Ideal World.

I was wondering, if some of you wouldn't mind if I could ask a couple of my own?

I know that there has always been a lot of criticism levelled against shopping channels, their presenters, their products, heck even their studios. So, in an ideal world (pun very much intended) what would you want to see on a shopping channel?

I assume honesty and integrity to be the simplest and most concise answer to that question, but beyond that, what kind of presenting style would you want? Straight to the point when it comes to the sale or a more relaxed style - somewhere between entertainment and selling?

Would you want to be able to interact with the presenters? Or to see some elements of channels that are gone; like live price changes ala Bid and Price Drop?

Would you want to see brands you've heard of and products you're familiar with? Innovative new items that are a little bit odd? A mixture of the two?

From a personal perspective, I always did technology shows - so a lot of the gadgets and gizmos from the past (camcorders, cd players, sat navs) have kind of been replaced by smartphones.

Believe me, I'm not on the cusp of setting up GrantTV, but I'm just curious to see what the consensus would be on a channel that would work.
Items presented factually a la product descriptions on the major online retailers. Stop the exaggeration the ‘possibly” the ‘could be’ the ‘might do‘. Stick with what is proven.

Decent order management options. Again - similar to what retailers like Amazon offer generally.

Good range of tech and general electronic type goods. Named brands. Less cheap and nasty tat. Watch brands named after long defunct West End shops etc. Have some watch brands that we DO know as a high street regular, rather than ones we generally don’t.

If you are going to employ an expert to accompany the presenter, make sure they bring something to the table - literally. You clearly knew/know your tech brief. And when you appeared on Ideal World you enhanced the way the goods were being related and explained to the potential buyers. Unlike your successor. What I am saying is customers can spot BS a mile off. Shopping channels in general appear to think otherwise. A channel that treats viewers as equals rather than to patronise and at times mislead. More presenters like Rob L. and more experts like yourself.

Switch off then!
Oh, they're back, are they?

Haven't you been told enough times that this forum exists to discuss both the good AND bad stuff found on shopping telly channels?

The fact that you can't appear to understand this, and keep very publicly showing this to everyone, just makes you look very, very sad

I really hope that you get help soon

Hi there,

A few weeks ago, I answered a few of the questions that were put to me on here about my time working on Ideal World.

I was wondering, if some of you wouldn't mind if I could ask a couple of my own?

I know that there has always been a lot of criticism levelled against shopping channels, their presenters, their products, heck even their studios. So, in an ideal world (pun very much intended) what would you want to see on a shopping channel?

I assume honesty and integrity to be the simplest and most concise answer to that question, but beyond that, what kind of presenting style would you want? Straight to the point when it comes to the sale or a more relaxed style - somewhere between entertainment and selling?

Would you want to be able to interact with the presenters? Or to see some elements of channels that are gone; like live price changes ala Bid and Price Drop?

Would you want to see brands you've heard of and products you're familiar with? Innovative new items that are a little bit odd? A mixture of the two?

From a personal perspective, I always did technology shows - so a lot of the gadgets and gizmos from the past (camcorders, cd players, sat navs) have kind of been replaced by smartphones.

Believe me, I'm not on the cusp of setting up GrantTV, but I'm just curious to see what the consensus would be on a channel that would work.
I know that shopping telly presenters exist to get stock sold. Otherwise the channels will go under.

But shopping telly is in a unique position where items can be properly demonstrated, and potential buyers' questions can be answered, both in real time. Not only can this promote sales by giving viewers confidence in buying, but if done sensibly and professionally, can lead to repeat sales and the growth of a loyal customer base.

But instead, we have some channels preferring to have presenters who will do or say literally anything to get the current on-air items sold. As others have stated, this includes making extraordinary claims about quality, performance and capabilities. And otherwise treating the viewers like idiots.

If the channel has faith in its products, then let's have none of the ruses and tricks some selly telly presenters use to bump up their sales. Like telling viewers that stock is "flying out the door", "is now limited", and "is about to sell out" without showing a) the initial amount of stock, or b) the numbers of sales on the show in real time. As TJC and Gemporia do. Viewers should be allowed to calmly and assuredly make the decision to buy, and not be rushed into doing something they might potentially regret by someone relentlessly screeching at them on the telly.

If we are going to get experts, then let them be experts. Not someone flogging plastic garden furniture one minute and a smartphone the next. And let them explain the exact model that's on sale, rather than just make generic statements the main presenter could state all on their own. Experts are invaluable, but calling someone who obviously doesn't have a clue about the item on air an "expert" is insulting to the viewers. And doesn't make potential buyers feel that confident in what's up for sale.

I think that viewers would be interested in discovering new brands, as well as finding deals on big name ones. But that won't matter if the presentations continue to be delivered as outlined by myself and others. The likes of Peter Simon could be selling water from the fountain of youth for £1 per litre, but his whole affected doddery and pervy "performances" would put many people off watching, never mind buying.

Many shopping telly channels appear to be looking at the huge rise in online sales over the last decade and rather than compete by playing up the format's strengths, are simply panicking and concentrating on trying to shift as much stock as they can right now, while they can. So any and all means of doing so appear to be on the table.

This isn't encouraging younger people to either watch the channels or buy. Which will see shopping telly implode as current regular buyers die off. So I don't think that the concept has any real future

I know that shopping telly presenters exist to get stock sold. Otherwise the channels will go under.

But shopping telly is in a unique position where items can be properly demonstrated, and potential buyers' questions can be answered, both in real time. Not only can this promote sales by giving viewers confidence in buying, but if done sensibly and professionally, can lead to repeat sales and the growth of a loyal customer base.

But instead, we have some channels preferring to have presenters who will do or say literally anything to get the current on-air items sold. As others have stated, this includes making extraordinary claims about quality, performance and capabilities. And otherwise treating the viewers like idiots.

If the channel has faith in its products, then let's have none of the ruses and tricks some selly telly presenters use to bump up their sales. Like telling viewers that stock is "flying out the door", "is now limited", and "is about to sell out" without showing a) the initial amount of stock, or b) the numbers of sales on the show in real time. As TJC and Gemporia do. Viewers should be allowed to calmly and assuredly make the decision to buy, and not be rushed into doing something they might potentially regret by someone relentlessly screeching at them on the telly.

If we are going to get experts, then let them be experts. Not someone flogging plastic garden furniture one minute and a smartphone the next. And let them explain the exact model that's on sale, rather than just make generic statements the main presenter could state all on their own. Experts are invaluable, but calling someone who obviously doesn't have a clue about the item on air an "expert" is insulting to the viewers. And doesn't make potential buyers feel that confident in what's up for sale.

I think that viewers would be interested in discovering new brands, as well as finding deals on big name ones. But that won't matter if the presentations continue to be delivered as outlined by myself and others. The likes of Peter Simon could be selling water from the fountain of youth for £1 per litre, but his whole affected doddery and pervy "performances" would put many people off watching, never mind buying.

Many shopping telly channels appear to be looking at the huge rise in online sales over the last decade and rather than compete by playing up the format's strengths, are simply panicking and concentrating on trying to shift as much stock as they can right now, while they can. So any and all means of doing so appear to be on the table.

This isn't encouraging younger people to either watch the channels or buy. Which will see shopping telly implode as current regular buyers die off. So I don't think that the concept has any real future
This….Arrow points upwards..

I think you are spot on. I think he is a first class guest presenter/expert covering items from his field of particular expertise- fitness. Where I think he and others got into difficulty was in being roped into presenting watches shows, with all the pressure, presumably from above, to over exaggerate and build up the heritage and kudos of what were in effect at times, cheap Chinese made watches purporting to be something else far more grand

Latest posts

Back