Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Mike Mason now selling the shopping trolley. One is flower design and the other features dogs. Or as he meant to say "doggies" but he accidentally said "dogging"! I'm convinced it was accidental judging by the look on his face and he then said it correctly.

He said you can use a shopping trolley when you're going out with the "gels" and you have to carry a lot. I wouldn't...

Shaun Ryan shouldn’t have got In bed with Shop Extra

It doesn’t seem to have done him any harm tbh. Doubt he’s losing sleep because he’s not flogging walking sticks and shopping trolleys on IW. He’s pretty wealthy anyway so doesn’t “need” the work that bad. Plus, now he gets to appear on QVC with YouGardens which is, in ways, a step up…

She had been doing assistant presenter stints on TJC prior to Ideal World, which was the first I'd seen of her for a long time. I've always had a soft spot for her, even if she can talk the hind legs off a donkey!

I've watched probably more of the "new" Ideal World since its relaunch, usually just having it on in the background, than I had the previous incarnation in many years. The main issue to me is the quality of products and the repetitive nature of how often they are being sold.

In regards to the presenters, let's start with the Sit-Up relics. I flat out refuse to watch anything with the ghastly Sally Jaxx, just an awful, untrustworthy woman. Mikey Mason isn't for me with his Cockney barrow-boy geezer routing and then we have Peter Simon. Who in their right mind thought it was advisable to have him selling women's shapewear? A few days back you had some middle aged woman wearing nothing but the shapewear have to stand next to "Dirty" Peter while he's selling it. The mind boggles on so many levels! I'm at a loss, how these three, especially Jaxx and Simon, keep getting employed with shopping channels, are the bigwigs not aware of what happened to the previous companies they worked for?

"Disingenuous" Gen seems a lot more reserved and calmer than I remember, although the phones are always "very, very busy" for every product she's selling.. Yet again she was flogging a foot massager yesterday and didn't demonstrate it or turn it on? Are they not allowed to demonstrate the products then? As that seems one which would absolutely need a demonstration. I like Lindsey, Carys and Rob, in fact the only ones I don't are Peter and Sally. I'm surprised "Pocket Sized" Mark Ryes hasn't turned up yet BTW.
disinGENous. I honestly thought Joanne had left the country. I seem to remember watching years ago when they seemed to give her a send off. But maybe it was wishful thinking

I didn’t think the Flatulent Four would get a gig at Ideal World Mark Whatever It Is. Ryan did apparently say he didn’t want to travel to London. But that doesn‘t necessarily mean he was offered anything. They seem to go for a certain type at the TJC. Relatively telegenic and the right side of 60 (other than Simon Peters) seems the norm. Crawley would fail on the former requirement and Robinson on the latter. Plus, Crawley and Super Great seem to come as a padlocked pair. So I guess that rules whatever her name is out, too. And if you do believe what Ryan said - he ruled himself out.

Also, they did themselves no favours whatsoever with their frequent and negative mentions of their former employer on Shop Extra. It just looks bitter and that view (however fair it might have been) doesn’t endear you to a new employer restarting your old name company. You do wonder, given that euphoric, back-slapping ‘We Don’t Need You Now‘ launch party, that they believed the thing wouldn’t be pulled so early as it was. Perhaps they should have taken a quieter and more dignified approach and not said anything about their previous workplace? Mason, kept his dignity and said nothing in the public arena as far as I’m aware. As did Simon. And I believe Jacks said she couldn’t say anything specific. Funnily enough, those three got the gigs with the new version and the other four didn’t.
Shaun Ryan also said he would be doing Create and Craft shifts so perhaps the other might follow him. How is Denn going to fund the flexi buys of her e-bike? She said she was upgrading and giving her long suffering daughter her old one

Carys can barely get a word in working with Joanne!
Joanne will never let anyone get a word in edgeways. She was like that on the old IW, and also when she reappeared on the TJC channel. She had a shift a month or so ago with Andrew, who's a past master at boring everyone with dull, meaningless b#ll#cks. Even he couldn't compete.

It's just a pity that she doesn't ever have anything interesting to say about what she's supposedly selling. And that she has a voice that could strip paint. In a different hemisphere.

Plus points? Minus points?

Shorter bit first…One or two good presenters I’ve not seen before. The ex-lead singer from All About Eve… The bouncy, cockney girl in the mornings, Never Seen in Same Room as Anton Du Beke…Mike Mason - whatever way you look at it, he is an excellent shopping television presenter at heart, but with a 1985 repartee..the young, honest approach girl who first appeared alongside him..A freephone number for ordering is also an improvement. Just need something worth ordering next..

Negatives? Where to start….An extraordinarily uninspiring range of goods. Cheap dash cams, walking sticks, shopping trollies, unbranded tat in general, the usual huge RRPs watches sold for a fraction - so tired of this tediously obvious strategy..Few, if any, brands with some kudos about them - stuff you’d want to buy. Mid to lower range items sold at very poor price points. Obvious to anybody who isn’t stuck at home without the Internet who thinks it’s 1997 again. Demonstrating cookers with nothing to cook in them, clothes with no wearer at times, Foghorn Jacks, Peter Simon and his seaside postcard and totally inappropriate humour routine, that South African woman they could use as voice torture for confessions gaining, wobbling promos, no sound incidents…I give up..

All you hope for is this is all down to having to launch at speed with none of the right preparation in place. And given time and a proper space to work in, it will improve. Big Brands to suddenly appear? I doubt it now. Now they’ve changed the business slogan. A cheap and cheerful outlet store for the main jewellery business looks like where they are comfortable pitching it as things stand.

Latest posts

Back