Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I like buses too. Mainly using them than collecting. Your/my ode to the legacy London 15 route, a case in point.
(Apologies to the non-Londoners/non-Southerners here!).

Aside tangent, I've asked repeatedly elsewhere, but who chose the place names (from your bus) on the BBC London weather map and specifically why did they pick Broxbourne and not other better known nearby places, for example, like Stevenage, Luton, Harlow, Hertford, Bedford, Stanstead, etc.?!

View attachment 26325
Everybofy look at that map it’s 25c today, don’t forget your Linea Air Con

Yes if I could pick and choose I would definitely have liked the ability to take HD quality vids and pics on a small pocket device stored to a tiny memory card i.e. no need for tapes and film. Other than that, I'm quite happy my youth was pre Internet, pre smartphones etc.

Definitely agree with that, but I was thinking more of the everyday creature comforts in the home, ie central heating etc.
I remember in the 60s the joy as a kid when we were moved by the council from an old 2 room tenement flat in a run down area not far from city center into one of their newly built block of flats on one of the new council estates, no longer had to share a bedroom with my parents and sister but also had our own indoor toilet and a proper BATH. Of course still only had the one coal fire in the living room so the rest of the house was like an ice box in winter. 🥶 :ROFLMAO:

Buses for me. A nerdy collecting pursuit, I grant you. But that doesn’t bother me. I have plenty more to accompany it. I take a great emotional comfort in buses. They told you where they were going. There was a structure to the direction they went in. They usually arrived on time and rarely never arrived at all. They didn‘t let me down. I knew where to find them when I needed them. Unlike my father….

View attachment 26324

My dad was a bus driver after the war until mid 60s then went back to college to become a teacher.

There's a local Transport museum just outside the city, which has and is restoring buses that were used up here.

Really interesting place to visit if any of you guys are up this way on hols.

While we're reminiscing down memory lane, it was the 85th anniversary of the Beano recently.

My favourite boyhood comic and Summer Specials, read avidly cover to cover.
Dennis the Menace club Membership card and gnasher badge still around somewhere!

So I took the opportunity to catch-up and collect:

85th anniversary issue / Summer Special 2023
View attachment 26322
Regular 24Jul23 issue / Collector's edition of selected strips 1938 - 2008 showing history/evolution of the Beano.

The drawing art has got 'simpler' but the jokes and detail is still fun. And the kids ideas, comedy drawings and contributions are as enthusiastic and wonderfully thoughtful & caring about the planet and people, as ever.

The 85th issue has famous caricatures on the rear cover, Adele, Harry Kane, etc. as voted for by the readers.

The Summer activity special used to be in hardback; I still have some old ones from the 80s in store.

Think I'm regressing to my second childhood!!! 👴 -> 🧒.

Also The Broons and Our Wullie annuals were always a popular xmas gift to get.

BTW we have an Our Wullie chipper along the road from me.

Capture1.JPG

I love these old films and the lack of traffic. One cyclist seemed to be holding on to the entrance pole to get a pull along.

Trolleybusses had more acceleration than any other vehicles of the time, they sometimes made me feel queasy with the G force!
I'm a tad younger, only by a few years, to you & Duke, so just missed Trolleybuses.

Went to a bus station open day a few years back and at Acton LT museum and they had the trolleybuses and the poles for re-connecting the 'pantograph' when it came off the overhead power lines. Which happened quite often, as it had to swerve a horse cart or something in the road, according to my parents who delighted in telling me their trolleybus stories from their times!

I'm a tad younger, only by a few years, to you & Duke, so just missed Trolleybuses.

Went to a bus station open day a few years back and at Acton LT museum and they had the trolleybuses and the poles for re-connecting the 'pantograph' when it came off the overhead power lines. Which happened quite often, as it had to swerve a horse cart or something in the road, according to my parents who delighted in telling me their trolleybus stories from their times!
I was born the same year as the last London Transport Zeppelin…er..Trolleybus…1962. Though I probably sound about 93…I have been off my trolley ever since..

I was born the same year as the last London Transport Zeppelin…er..Trolleybus…1962. Though I probably sound about 93…I have been off my trolley ever since..
Lol. According to my earlier post/research, the last running trolleybus route finished in 1970, just as I was being weened. I have a vague recollection of watching one or more of the later Apollo televised missions, presumably 12/13-17 on a TV, while I toddled around on the floor.

Latest posts

Back