Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Did anybody watch the 1970s Supermarket last night. The food mentioned was mainly what you can still purchase now

I like Spam Fritters but found out to Perserve it it’s covered in chemicals, and Angel Delight is full of chemicals

Only hot cheese..On pizzas or toast. The other meaning…

Oh ok. Thought you might make it too!

If we get our guitars together with @stratobuddy and other instrumentalists/singers here and form a group, then our band name is obvious:

"Hot Cheese"

😁

I *love* cheese. In all forms. And toast!

Remember 'Streetband' (with a young Paul Young) and their 45 single hit that I bought from Woolworths: "Toast!"?
'Cos I love toast so much!

"Dooo-dop, dit-dit dit-dit dit-dit-doo! Just toast! ...A little piece of toast!"

Geez, as we were saying, don't you just love t'internet sometimes! Lol. 😜

P.S. don't worry, we will get back to IW/shopping TV one day... Eventually! 🤣

Just skipped through it. The usual talking heads nonsense. As Jazzy said, much of what they featured is still for sale in various shapes and forms. Clearly, as with the stewed steak tins (Wall‘s canned it predominantly) some sort of generic 1970s (in the imagination of somebody probably born in the 1990s recreation of the ‘delicacy’ was put on the pretend shelves of the pretend shop. I think Fray Bentos pies are no longer in tins? Or is that just the steak and kidney puddings? Anyway, I remember getting a huge piece of gristle in one my mum had cooked and nearly throwing up as a result. To be more authentic to the time. they should have had iced up freezers with re-frozen goods in it, and a surly girl on the till, angrily tapping in the prices, and throwing your tins at you, then pressing the Green Shield or Pink Stamps button and flicking them disdainfully at you just before you left.

What I do really miss from the ‘70s is those wonderful Heinz tinned beefburgers. They were absolutely delicious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just skipped through it. The usual talking heads nonsense. As Jazzy said, much of what they featured is still for sale in various shapes and forms. Clearly, as with the stewed steak tins (Walls canned it predominantly) some sort of generic 1970s (in the imagination of somebody probably born in the 1990s recreation of the ‘delicacy’ was put on the pretend shelves of the pretend shop. I think Fray Bentos pies are no longer in tins? Or is that just the steak and kidney puddings? Anyway, I remember getting a huge piece of gristle in one my mum had cooked and nearly throwing up as a result. To be more authentic to the time. they should have had
Fray Bentos pies are still in tins, they’ve even Increased there range

Did anybody watch the 1970s Supermarket last night. The food mentioned was mainly what you can still purchase now

I like Spam Fritters but found out to Perserve it it’s covered in chemicals, and Angel Delight is full of chemicals
Not yet but will on 5 catch-up.

Anything that comes out as a bright pink speckled powder, stored in a foil sachet and looks like 'space-food' ain't gonna be all natural!

I buy it maybe once a year when I get that 'hankering' for childhood treats.
I loved the butterscotch more than strawberry.

Never a big fan of spam, it was ok, like luncheon meat, can't remember even having it for school dinners. Think our palates have moved on now with carpaccio and bresaola, etc.!

Spam, spiced ham, has become very trendy with the beardie weirdie hipster community who like buying £5 bowls of cereal in their Hoxton trendy café shops and a slice of 'artisanal' pizza for £6 in Shoreditch. Ok, I'll give 'em the -anal part!

Hated Angel Delight as a kid. And Nesquik. Tasted like various forms of whisked sick.
Need fresh milk. Butterscotch is nice... But all too sweet now, compared to when a kid.

Oh ok. Thought you might make it too!

If we get our guitars together with @stratobuddy and other instrumentalists/singers here and form a group, then our band name is obvious:

"Hot Cheese"

😁

I *love* cheese. In all forms. And toast!

Remember 'Streetband' (with a young Paul Young) and their 45 single hit that I bought from Woolworths: "Toast!"?
'Cos I love toast so much!

"Dooo-dop, dit-dit dit-dit dit-dit-doo! Just toast! ...A little piece of toast!"

Geez, as we were saying, don't you just love t'internet sometimes! Lol. 😜

P.S. don't worry, we will get back to IW/shopping TV one day... Eventually! 🤣
They did that that live on old ITV kids’ show The Saturday Banana, as I recall. Least, the vocals certainly were. Young stayed with a food related theme with his later solo hit - Everytime You Go Away (You Take a Piece of Meat With You).. Listen to the track if you don’t believe me..

I have 14 guitars, by the way. More guitars that buses!!

Last edited by a moderator:
...Young stayed with a food related then with his later solo hit - Everytime You Go Away (You Take a Piece of Meat With You).. Listen to the track if you don’t believe me..

I have 14 guitars, by the way. More guitars that buses!!

Presumably then as a fan of Peter Kay you've heard his 'misheard lyrics' sketch:

Only 14? Lol. I have 1 classical/spanish guitar. Looking to get an acoustic. And to try an electric!

I bet @stratobuddy has more. Or at least played more professionally?!

Just skipped through it. The usual talking heads nonsense. As Jazzy said, much of what they featured is still for sale in various shapes and forms. Clearly, as with the stewed steak tins (Wall‘s canned it predominantly) some sort of generic 1970s (in the imagination of somebody probably born in the 1990s recreation of the ‘delicacy’ was put on the pretend shelves of the pretend shop. I think Fray Bentos pies are no longer in tins? Or is that just the steak and kidney puddings? Anyway, I remember getting a huge piece of gristle in one my mum had cooked and nearly throwing up as a result. To be more authentic to the time. they should have had iced up freezers with re-frozen goods in it, and a surly girl on the till, angrily tapping in the prices, and throwing your tins at you, then pressing the Green Shield or Pink Stamps button and flicking them disdainfully at you just before you left.

What I do really miss from the ‘70s is those wonderful Heinz tinned beefburgers. They were absolutely delicious.
Yeah. The BBC2 programme, Back in Time for the Corner Shop was good, following the history from Victorian times of the local shop and the foods and stuff they sold through the decades.

Talking of toast earlier, the thing I miss is Heinz Toast Toppers. Tin of stuff to put on toast and grill, think it was just a concoction of melted cheese, mushrooms or some savoury filling topper. A bit like a properly made Welsh rarebit sauce mix. Can't remember the varieties offered. They or others don't do 'em anymore, afaik?

Gap in the market...? 😁

Shop Extra update

Create and Craft have just shown a promo, with Sean, Den, Shaun and Hayley all picking up phones, which leads them to the outside of Nene House, and then scenes behind the scenes, showing the 4 looking at products, smiling and joking, Creepy then says were back on Shop Extra, Family, Friendship and Fun

All the IW Directors and Producers are being rehired, according to a presenter on C&C

Geez, it's a full-time job keeping up with this thread! 😆
Shop Extra update

Create and Craft have just shown a promo, with Sean, Den, Shaun and Hayley all picking up phones, which leads them to the outside of Nene House, and then scenes behind the scenes, showing the 4 looking at products, smiling and joking, Creepy then says were back on Shop Extra, Family, Friendship and Fun

All the IW Directors and Producers are being rehired, according to a presenter on C&C
Shhh, it's a secret...
One extra factet is that Freeview broadcasters can suspend broadcasts for up to 3 months on a valuable Freeview channel prior to losing the slot.

Probably why the blue banner still says 'temporarily suspended' to abide by the Freeview rules.

TJC paid £7mill to IW for channel 22.

Family Friendship and Fun the fun bit is leaving all their customers out of pocket,do you remember them creepy?
Just the same old IW bollards😤

Buses for me. A nerdy collecting pursuit, I grant you. But that doesn’t bother me. I have plenty more to accompany it. I take a great emotional comfort in buses. They told you where they were going. There was a structure to the direction they went in. They usually arrived on time and rarely never arrived at all. They didn‘t let me down. I knew where to find them when I needed them. Unlike my father….

View attachment 26324
My bus 'collection':

IMG_20230817_162700.jpg

My vehicle 'collection':
IMG_20230817_162805.jpg

Weeks ago on this thread I posted pics of an Australian TV shopping channel selling models of cars & vans.

I wonder if C&C/Shop Extra will sell model buses or cars or vans. Especially with ULEZ coming, you won't see any more... Ha ha.

There, got it back onto a TV shopping topic! Lol 😜

Yeah. The BBC2 programme, Back in Time for the Corner Shop was good, following the history from Victorian times of the local shop and the foods and stuff they sold through the decades.

Talking of toast earlier, the thing I miss is Heinz Toast Toppers. Tin of stuff to put on toast and grill, think it was just a concoction of melted cheese, mushrooms or some savoury filling topper. A bit like a properly made Welsh rarebit sauce mix. Can't remember the varieties offered. They or others don't do 'em anymore, afaik?

Gap in the market...? 😁
There are 3 toast toppers Mushroom, chicken and cheese and ham. It’s still around just hard to find. 😊

My bus 'collection':

View attachment 26332

My vehicle 'collection':
View attachment 26333

Weeks ago on this thread I posted pics of an Australian TV shopping channel selling models of cars & vans.

I wonder if C&C/Shop Extra will sell model buses or cars or vans. Especially with ULEZ coming, you won't see any more... Ha ha.

There, got it back onto a TV shopping topic! Lol 😜
I have some car models, mainly of cars I would love to have had but didn't eg Mk 10 Jaguar, or cars I actually had and wished I didn't eg Wartburg Knight.
Mk10Jaguar.jpg
Wartburg-353-knight-2A4T5JK.jpg

Latest posts

Back