Random Musings and Critiques Etc.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Seriously, @RobLocke isn't it time you did a "Random Musings, Unlocked" *podcast* as they seem to be all the rage these days?

I saw some of the YouTube channel highlights of Unlocked video and this might convert to be an audio podcast I'd actually listen to! (I'm not a big podcast talk fan, they intro and ramble and take ages to get to the point).

Not your thing or too busy with ShoponTV in front & behind the cameras and other work?
Yeah, I really should get a podcast up and running. It's been on my mind for a long time and I've got all the gear to do it. It's just a question of time. I'm literally tied up every waking hour, seven days-a-week, with SOTV. If/when I ever get my life back (or a portion of it), a podcast will shortly follow.

The reason we did UNLOCKED live was because I've always loved interacting with the audience. There are so many funny and interesting characters 'out there', whom I really enjoy talking to. Honestly, give me an hour of airtime and a bunch of cool people to interact with, and I'm a happy bunny. The day will come, and I'll probably do video podcast so you can watch it OR just listen to it. Easily done with the publishing services these days.

... I'm literally tied up every waking hour, seven days-a-week, with SOTV. If/when I ever get my life back ...
Your bondage proclivities are your own concern!

Busy since April, as far as I can tell! 😉

Happened to catch a few minutes of you selling a stick blender last night (ok, 'handheld food processor').
Still can't fathom the prices on these and Bamix, similarly.

Nice apron, btw.
😜

The reason we did UNLOCKED live was because I've always loved interacting with the audience. There are so many funny and interesting characters 'out there', whom I really enjoy talking to. Honestly, give me an hour of airtime and a bunch of cool people to interact with, and I'm a happy bunny. The day will come, and I'll probably do video podcast so you can watch it OR just listen to it. Easily done with the publishing services these days.
Maybe you could do an episode with us TV shopping nutters.

Fyi, Mark Ryes in an apron on Shop on TV (Fri 1-3am) doing Piranha kitchen gadget cooking prep demos, alongside Rob Locke.

Got back home from a long drive in the early hours this morning and relaxing before bed, saw some of Shop on TV. I’ve not watched it for ages and certainly not live. They featured Vintage Cash Cow. They had the guy who runs it as a guest and then one of the former dealers from Dickinson’s Real Deal, David Hakeney…This was essentially an external promotion for the company which makes its money on buying boxes of things like cameras, jewellery, toys etc.. no doubt hoping that each box contains one or two hidden gems along with the run-of-the-mill stuff that they have to deal with .There was an apparent £25 ‘extra’ money paid per bought box of goods by quoting a Shop on TV code. Other than that…that was the end of their direct involvement.

I have been on eBay for 24 years, and I am confident and experienced in both buying selling on there. There is no way that I would put a box of, say, collectible 1970s’ toy cars in the post, and send them to this company, and then get what is by design a low job lot type offer. Job lots are where the buyer makes their money, and the seller accepts the fact that by selling everything lock stock and barrel, they’re going to get at times a derisory amount in relation to what they are selling. As the owner regularly repeated, when he was on last night – selling to us in a big box cuts out all the hassle of you trying to sell things individually, with him expanding on all the other ‘horrendous’ pitfalls like having to actually do some hard work to sell as a reason to let THEM make the profits you should be making by selling individually.

Obviously their business model works best with a certain sort of seller. I imagine the profile, going by the advertising, is older not very Net savvie people wanting to get a little bit of pin money for their grandchildren – that kind of thing. And not wanting the hassle of having to deal with individual purchasers like you would have to do if you wanted to sell your valuables off one by one for best price. Vintage Cash Cow ‘helps them out’ and then helps themselves to the difference in what they pay to what they get when they sell the stuff on. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but as I have said, I certainly wouldn’t want to go down that route of selling to them. Call me cynical but with the £25 incentive being offered last night – all I can see is their offer for your box of things being reduced accordingly…

Last edited:
Got back home from a long drive in the early hours this morning and relaxing before bed, saw some of Shop on TV. I’ve not watched it for ages and certainly not live. They featured Vintage Cash Cow. They had the guy who runs it as a guest and then one of the former dealers from Dickinson’s Real Deal, David Hakeney…This was essentially an external promotion for the company which makes its money on buying boxes of things like cameras, jewellery, toys etc.. no doubt hoping that each box contains one or two hidden gems along with the run-of-the-mill stuff that they have to deal with .There was an apparent £25 ‘extra’ money paid per bought box of goods by quoting a Shop on TV code. Other than that…that was the end of their direct involvement.

I have been on eBay for 24 years, and I am confident and experienced in both buying selling on there. There is no way that I would put a box of, say, collectible 1970s’ toy cars in the post, and send them to this company, and then get what is by design a low job lot type offer. Job lots are where the buyer makes their money, and the seller accepts the fact that by selling everything lock stock and barrel, they’re going to get at times a derisory amount in relation to what they are selling. As the owner regularly repeated, when he was on last night – selling to us in a big box cuts out all the hassle of you trying to sell things individually, with him expanding on all the other ‘horrendous’ pitfalls like having to actually do some hard work to sell as a reason to let THEM make the profits you should be making by selling individually.

Obviously their business model works best with a certain sort of seller. I imagine the profile, going by the advertising, is older not very Net savvie people wanting to get a little bit of pin money for their grandchildren – that kind of thing. And not wanting the hassle of having to deal with individual purchasers like you would have to do if you wanted to sell your valuables off one by one for best price. Vintage Cash Cow ‘helps them out’ and then helps themselves to the difference in what they pay to what they get when they sell the stuff on. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but as I have said, I certainly wouldn’t want to go down that route of selling to them. Call me cynical but with the £25 incentive being offered last night – all I can see is their offer for your box of things being reduced accordingly…
Looked at that Vintage Cash Cow (same blue colours as Discount Dragon, not the same people is it?) and thought might be useful in future for a bulk house clearance, more to get rid of stuff than wanting top cash for it.

I've been buying things off eBay for about 5 years, bidding/offering, bargaining, and buy now, from individuals and companies. I think I'm a pretty good negotiator at making an offer and getting a better deal than that being offered initially.

Anyway, have been thinking of becoming an eBay seller of stuff I've accumulated, some resell of bits from old IW and TJC too. With the recent announcement of no seller fees for personal sellers, I'm thinking of dipping my toe in the water. Any tips?

Tbh, my main concern is around packaging and post costs and getting home collection rather than traipsing off to a post office/drop off point all the time, so the currently free RM collection and label printing option appeals.

Latest posts

Back