QVC Rip-off Mince Pies for £18(£24 with p&p)

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Just seen this on the website. :mysmilie_51::sad::sad:

More utter greed from QVC. Shameful. :clapping::angry:

no the taste the difference onew will taste a lot nicer. its a case of the emporers new clothes

:mysmilie_50: I have just bought myself a packet of marzipan while in Tesco's this morning... Not sure how long it's going to last...

There are so many nice shops on the high street, and internet, where you can buy good quality Christmas fare for a lot less than QVC are charging...

If they believe they can charge a premium on a par with the likes of Fortnum & Mason, Harrods and Harvey Nichols, they are sadly wide of the mark.

:mysmilie_50: I have just bought myself a packet of marzipan while in Tesco's this morning... Not sure how long it's going to last...

There are so many nice shops on the high street, and internet, where you can buy good quality Christmas fare for a lot less than QVC are charging...

If they believe they can charge a premium on a par with the likes of Fortnum & Mason, Harrods and Harvey Nichols, they are sadly wide of the mark.

Sadly, I think a lot of customers think QVC is one such brand.

Step away from the marzipan, maymorganlondon!

Sadly, I think a lot of customers think QVC is one such brand.

Step away from the marzipan, maymorganlondon!

Funny you should say that, Andik. Reading the marzipan posts on this thread made me 'crave' some so I looked on Amazon for marzipan related goods to buy on Prime for delivery tomorrow. I stopped myself from buying anything, of course, but it goes to show the power of the media, internet and communication to peruade people to aquire things they don't really need...

QVC has this down to a tee in manipulating people to buy their overpriced rubbish. That is why this business has been so succesful.

Another one for the marzipanoholics group here! I did GCSE home-ec at college, and the "piece de resistance" for the end of the year was a fancy Christmas cake. Me and my friend decided to make a huge snowman between us, which was to be covered in marzipan. We had several boxes of that really expensive white stuff, that is absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately, we both ate so much of it before it got anywhere near the cake, that there wasn't enough left to cover it completely! We had to cover the inch wide seam down the back with white icing. What really makes me laugh though is that our teacher said she couldn't understand how we didn't have enough to cover it completely! It didn't take Sherlock Holmes to realise where most of it had gone!

My marzipan addiction has meant that I've even had people import it from the USA for me in the past. And I used to love those big gold wrapped bars of it. I can't recall the name but they had rounded ends.

Reading this it's no wonder I'm on a diet at the moment.

Yeah! Step away!

These are made from marzipan, could you really eat them...... marzipan-babies1.jpg

Funny you should say that, Andik. Reading the marzipan posts on this thread made me 'crave' some so I looked on Amazon for marzipan related goods to buy on Prime for delivery tomorrow. I stopped myself from buying anything, of course, but it goes to show the power of the media, internet and communication to peruade people to aquire things they don't really need...

QVC has this down to a tee in manipulating people to buy their overpriced rubbish. That is why this business has been so succesful.

So true. I have it on my shopping list for my next supermarket trip too. Anyone spots any bargains out there, do post on here!

These are made from marzipan, could you really eat them...... View attachment 12721

Tricky ..... but I reckon I'd manage if it's proper marzipan!

Have you every been in one of those magical shops they have on the continent, which are pretty much devoted to marzipan? When I went to Milan, there was one close to the cathedral which I had to go in and the guy I was with bought me a little collection of treats. I think I was happier with that than I would have been with something from one of the many surrounding designer shops.

:mysmilie_5::tongue::mysmilie_857: Who me??? :angel::mysmilie_495::mysmilie_520:

I would ask you to take a photograph of the full and unopened packet to post on here but you probably bought more than one so it would mean nothing! You bought "a packet" .... yeah, right....

I'm partial to a bit of Niederegger at Christmas (when the largest choice is available)... you have to look for marzipan from Lubeck to get the Rolls-Royce of the marzipan world.

I believe Lidl and Aldi, as German supermarket groups do some good bargains on marzipan - definitely worth keeping a look-out.

I'm partial to a bit of Niederegger at Christmas (when the largest choice is available)... you have to look for marzipan from Lubeck to get the Rolls-Royce of the marzipan world.

I believe Lidl and Aldi, as German supermarket groups do some good bargains on marzipan - definitely worth keeping a look-out.

Got to admire your encyclopaedic knowledge, mml. I'd never heard of Niederegger so just looked it up and spotted an advent calendar at John Lewis - sadly sold out though!

I don't know if it's because I've got no class, but I think I prefer the stuff you get in foil wrapped blocks in supermarkets as it's so moist and rich. The trouble with the stuff in those continental shops I was talking about is it's often been exposed to the air so it's dried out at least a bit and doesn't have the indulgent flavour, especially if it's been "worked" into a novelty shape, for example. I would like to try the Niederegger stuff though.

Asda mince pies with brandy are the best ones, no need to pay Q ridiculous prices for them.

Can I ask a silly question? I don't/can't bake....remember Angel cake? 3 sponge layers divided by cream. One normal colour sponge, one pink sponge, and one white sponge.

The pink layer is obviously food colouring, but how do they get the white coloured sponge? Oh dear, what a stupid question to ask, but I want to know :mysmilie_46:

:mysmilie_506:

Latest posts

Back