Molton Brown - What do you think?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

rapscallion0421

Registered Shopper
Many of us will recall with fondness that this time of the year we were usually leading up to a fantastic TSV from Molton Brown - us MB fans were then shocked to hear that they were pulling the plugs on their association with QVC and as we all now know that the products are no longer stocked on QVC.

The reason I was given by someone on a MB counter in a Dept store in London was that they were taking a new commercial direction which they knew would be as 'commercially successful' as QVC and were 'repositioning themselves as a more upmarket brand. Anyone seen any evidence of it? The reason I ask is that whenever I pass the stand alone stores in London, they never seem to be busy even on a Saturday. The MB concession in Selfridges has also been moved from the main beauty hall to the back area on the way to stationery Dept and is much smaller. MB have also lost out on supplying British Airways with their 1st class toiletries and the spa there is now Elemis I believe?

My question to MB Forum fans is simply this - are you continuing to buy the MB range and if so in the quantities you used to when it was on QVC? Do you think MB is thriving or, are we about to see another Prescriptives and watch the brand disappear?:sad:

If Debbie Flint can come back to QVC what about Molton Brown? They must by now believe that they've shot themselves in the foot over leaving?

I used to buy it when it was on QVC. Mainly the shower gels but I also liked some of the skin care. The only time I have bought it since is recently as RED magazine had £10 off vouchers in so I got a few bottles of shower gels to put with christmas gifts.

MB have released loads of new items LifeStyle as they call them. The old shower gels etc are still there but far more expensive compared to the days when on QVC. The skin care has been revamped a number of times in this period too.

But MB are now owned by a Japanese company they are in the US,Japan etc. Online I have seen them in the highend department stores websites in the US.
I think we always considered MB a British brand, but not anymore they are worldwide. The new owners wanted to push them as a luxury brand and QVC didn't fit that. What I am saying just because the UK stores are pretty empty, coming up to christmas that might change. They might sell big in other countries and still not need QVC.

I doubt QVC would get the deals they used to from MB anyway. If people seen the prices and then postage on top, I think they would go to the stores instead of buying from QVC. MB are widely available in HoF etc.

Totally agree rapscallion, I love the brand but I don't see how they can be doing as well with your selfridges comment and B A info. I don't buy nearly as much as I used to although I still love it. I used to multibuy TSVs and the other odd good offer. I'm more of a philosophy girl now though. I do buy in their outlet stores now when I want to buy their products. They used to do, if I recall correctly, 55,000 Xmas TSVs. Southampton doesn't have a MB store but John Lewis have already put in loads of extra display space - about 5 or 6 times what they usually have and I know that it sells by the bucketload there at Xmas - it's the only brand they do this for. Please QVC get this brand back!

I was never a massive fan but, used to buy the TSVs from QVC since they left QVc I haven't bought a single thing, I think L'Occitane is much better and would be very upset if they pulled out of QVC but, don't think thats likely, luckily!

I used to wait with baited breath for the MB TSV's but i haven't continued to buy from them since they discontinued their relationship with qvc.

The main reason is, if in their opinion QVC isn't upmarket enough for them then what are they saying. That those of us who had lined their pockets for years aren't quite the sort of customer that they want. Well if thats the case i'm not going to give them anymore money. We must have helped their profit margins no end.My local MB shop is in a shopping centre and when i walk past there's never anyone in it.

Yes their products were lovely and the TSV's were outstanding value but I'm just as happy with L'occitaine.

the MB shop and concessions in manchester selfridges and house of fraser are never busy either. but having said that i've never been in the l'occitane shop in manchester and found more than one other customer in there.

QVC were always the last retailer to get any of MB's new stuff, they were stuck in a right old rut, and every time a new fragrance shower gel was brought to air alison young screamed about it like she was going to have a baby - never mentioning that it had been in the stores for months before. the obsession over heavenly gingerlily and that damned coc de mer body lotion which turned up in EVERY kit was boring too.

i looked over the MB range the other week, there was loads of new stuff. its definitely evolved since they parted company. i reckon QVC was dragging the brand down and they did the right thing to move on.

I have had a look at the new range. Too average, imo. There is nothing 'more upmarket' about MB. Their decision to quit QVC was suicidal. And, also imo, L'Occitane are more upmarket and less snotty.

this argument regarding molton brown has been raging since they pulled out of qvc. maybe they want to close it down tbh as they look as if they want to commit suicide to me.
i am on thier mailing list and get invited to launches and get lovely goody bags from them but i am not an avid fan. they give out champagneand canapes and shut the door to the public etc. and even though thier new products looked promising its still not my fave brand.

however i think thier new line would have sold exceptionally well on qvc and they are trying to be all exclusive but thats not what business is all about in a recession.

even l'occitane are not stuffty. they are hard core business people and dont give a jot who buys their stuff. thats why even though they have not sold anywhere near what liz earle and mb have done in the past they still continue to have theer fans me being one of them.

mb to me is a lifestyle brand with more style than substance. the ingredients are very cheap and synthetic and some of the artificial smells are quite sickly and nasty even.
i am sorry for their demise but dont buy anything at all now.

goodbye molton brown and good luck.
seems to me we will be hearing about them next year when all their branches close. feel sorry for the staff who will lose their jobs cos of bad management.

Some of the MB TSV's were fabulous! It's certainly how I 1st discovered the brand!

But I think we are remembering through our rose coloured spectatcles!! :cool2:

For the last few years we spent loads of time here complaining there was too much body cream or too much Gingerlily etc........we ST.comers spent an awful lot of our time moaning about MB.......:cheeky:

Now we only seem to remember the good times :angel:

LOL

I am STILL using my MB stash from QVC, good job it keeps so well.

I do go to their outlet shop at Gunwharf Quays but rarely buy anything there.........even at outlet prices, it seems SO expensive now!

this argument regarding molton brown has been raging since they pulled out of qvc. maybe they want to close it down tbh as they look as if they want to commit suicide to me.
i am on thier mailing list and get invited to launches and get lovely goody bags from them but i am not an avid fan. they give out champagneand canapes and shut the door to the public etc. and even though thier new products looked promising its still not my fave brand.

however i think thier new line would have sold exceptionally well on qvc and they are trying to be all exclusive but thats not what business is all about in a recession.

even l'occitane are not stuffty. they are hard core business people and dont give a jot who buys their stuff. thats why even though they have not sold anywhere near what liz earle and mb have done in the past they still continue to have theer fans me being one of them.

mb to me is a lifestyle brand with more style than substance. the ingredients are very cheap and synthetic and some of the artificial smells are quite sickly and nasty even.
i am sorry for their demise but dont buy anything at all now.

goodbye molton brown and good luck.
seems to me we will be hearing about them next year when all their branches close. feel sorry for the staff who will lose their jobs cos of bad management.

I actually wrote this on a QVC review a couple of years ago.
You actually hit it right on the nail with your entire post, boffy. :up2:

Some of the MB TSV's were fabulous! It's certainly how I 1st discovered the brand!

But I think we are remembering through our rose coloured spectatcles!! :cool2:

For the last few years we spent loads of time here complaining there was too much body cream or too much Gingerlily etc........we ST.comers spent an awful lot of our time moaning about MB.......:cheeky:

Now we only seem to remember the good times :angel:

LOL

I am STILL using my MB stash from QVC, good job it keeps so well.

I do go to their outlet shop at Gunwharf Quays but rarely buy anything there.........even at outlet prices, it seems SO expensive now![/QUOTE]

me too. I have just stocked up for the winter with three of the philosophy inner grace specials (shower cream and body butter) and that giant shea shower and moisturise set that was on loccitane yesterday. Nicer than the current MB's IMHO and make my skin feel better...actually I did like the gingerlily though

I think MB have shot themselves in the foot - and I'm a good example.I don't buy hardly any skincare or beauty tsv's.I buy the odd make up one.

I would never ever go out my way to buy a MB product for me or as a present.

However,I did used to buy the odd product on qvc and some of the tsv's.It was "sold" to me through the tv as a good product or a good tsv as a present and I did buy the tsv's for my MIL.

i would imagine they've lost a lot of custom this way.

I've definitely moved on

As everyone's mentioned above, even the outlet shops are pricey now (remember the days when you used to be able to get a huge bag of different sized bottles of lovlies for under £30?)

Final nail in the coffin for me though was when they stopped producing the make-up line. I do still have a stockpile of Wonderlips lipsticks, bought at clearance prices from the outlets, and will have no idea what to buy when that runs out!

got a set of 10 MB 50ml bottles in the bathroom,I like MB and miss the tsv but cant really afford 16 quid a bottlle for one thing
JL have the sets of 10 minis at certain times of the year for 20 quid which I think is ok,I got 2 last time and have one set stashed away for winter!!
my faves are blissful templetree,black pepper and warming eucalyptus,I want a bottle of eucalyptus for Xmas,love it in winter when its cold its soothing
the outlet shop at Saldord Quays is quite expensive and I never see anyone in the shop at the Trafford Centre, its always empty!!
shame we dont get the tsvs any more, they were very good value for money!

I adore MB shower gels, and would be very unhappy if I didn't have at least one 300ml bottle of gingerlily on standby in my bathroom. The only L'Occitane that I like is the liquid soap and the solid soap. I think the hand and foot cream are rather gloopy. Still each to their own.

I still buy Molton Brown - couldn't be without my Black Pepper Re-charge for the shower - but generally buy whatever is going cheap at sale times for the bath. Was never a fan of the skincare. The hand washes are still my favourite, and as I invested in one of the arcs for my bathroom, I shall continue to purchase. :wink2:

I still buy MB but only when I visit Bicester which is about four times a year and they have a very limited choice.
Much as I love Blissful Temple tree and Gingerlily I can't bring myself to pay full price in HOF or Fenwicks.

I was never a massive fan but, used to buy the TSVs from QVC since they left QVc I haven't bought a single thing, I think L'Occitane is much better and would be very upset if they pulled out of QVC but, don't think thats likely, luckily!

I have to agree, since Molton Brown left QVC I have bought very little, the odd thing on e-bay, but that's about it. I personally much prefer L'occitane so don't think I really miss MB now either.

Katie

Latest posts

Back