Julia's Freebie

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

If they give yankee candles to presenters to try why not give them the samplers? No need to give them large jars.

With many of the things on QVC, if I was given a free sample by the guest I'd probably hand it back (with a polite thank you :wink:) or would sell it on eBay.

I've no problem with the presenters receiving an item from a guest though. What I don't like is when the presenter almost 'begs' for something because the item's sold out or is limited stock. Still, even that is better than their ordering on the blessed iPads while they're supposed to be doing their job!

Having an item to try (especially if you are the anchor midnight TSV launch presenter) was very common in the early to mid days of Q, but, the presenters made it clear that it was only theirs to try and use and not always for keeps. To me that added value, as the presenter had had a good couple of prior weeks worth of use out of the product, especially helpful if it was a tech based item.

Last edited:
I think there was a rumour a few years back about a certain presenter selling stuff on Ebay:mysmilie_11:
I sell all day in work and get naff all so it P's me off bigtime people getting freebies but I suppose if you got given them who in their right mind would refuse.
Twitter is a prime example of Z listers fishing for freebies 'Who can recommend a good set of makeup brushes, protein shakes as I need too got fit or a great hotel in Dubai' :mysmilie_51: It makes my blood boil then a week later they tweet picture with the said freebies.

With many of the things on QVC, if I was given a free sample by the guest I'd probably hand it back (with a polite thank you :wink:) or would sell it on eBay.

I've no problem with the presenters receiving an item from a guest though. What I don't like is when the presenter almost 'begs' for something because the item's sold out or is limited stock. Still, even that is better than their ordering on the blessed iPads while they're supposed to be doing their job!

There was a seller on Ebay who worked on photo shoots with beauty for the high end mags. After the shoot they could take all the expensive beauty and perfume products. I bought a few times from him, perfume limited editions very reasonable prices too. He used to state the products had been opened for photos but never used.

There was a seller on Ebay who worked on photo shoots with beauty for the high end mags. After the shoot they could take all the expensive beauty and perfume products. I bought a few times from him, perfume limited editions very reasonable prices too. He used to state the products had been opened for photos but never used.

What happened to him, did he get the sack when they found out?

I think there was a rumour a few years back about a certain presenter selling stuff on Ebay:mysmilie_11:
I sell all day in work and get naff all so it P's me off bigtime people getting freebies but I suppose if you got given them who in their right mind would refuse.
Twitter is a prime example of Z listers fishing for freebies 'Who can recommend a good set of makeup brushes, protein shakes as I need too got fit or a great hotel in Dubai' :mysmilie_51: It makes my blood boil then a week later they tweet picture with the said freebies.

On a Fb group someone the other week bought a Decelor product and noticed the Paypal account had the name Anne Dawson , The seller was also selling a number of other qvc products :mysmilie_59:

Someone like Barry Norman must have got hundreds of those things!

I used to live close to Barry, and he was of the old school generation of real reporting - light years before the advent of PR goody bags in recent years. Although he did dine out at some rather 'nice' places.

Wow. I'd love to have met Barry. He was brilliant and very intelligent. Often imitated, never matched. I used to love the theme tune to his show. It went like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6r3L57ZcQk

I used to really like Jimmy Young on Radio 2 when I was a child. He had a distinctive theme tune too!

He also had a few hit records, I discovered, including this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABucmDpEo2k

I suppose most people wouldn`t refuse a freebie. You only need to see the clamour when it`s Beauty Bash time, its goody bag, goody bag, goody bag for weeks before and after and many of the items then end up on Ebay. I don`t condone presenters almost begging for items though, that cheapens them IMO but I suppose we all know someone who seems to get good perks from their job. I never got naff all in any of my jobs but I know a couple of people who do.

I used to know someone who worked for LBC radio and she used to get loads, and I mean LOADS of freebies offered to her. She had high standards, though, and refused them. All she kept were her press access badges for events, and cards / letters from celebs.

No, I idea. I sort of lost track as every time I looked he was buying highend watches.

Its well known after the Oscars the winners sell off stuff they don't want on Ebay US.

Free loaders :mysmilie_10: If anyone wants to send me a freebie I am here

I've never understood the goody bag ethos at the Oscars.

Now IMO why would someone who has just earned zillions for an Oscar winning movie need/want a goody bag? I'm sure if they really wanted something but didn't want to pay it wouldn't be too hard to get a freebie but to be given xyz that you didn't express any wish for seems a waste of everyone's time. And as for the like iof Angie and Brad sitting and listing on eBay!,,,,

Still isn't that how Liz Taylor got a lot of her jewellery?

I wonder what the best job is, as far as freebies go? So far I have been sales assistant for Holland & Barrett (free / discounted health foods, vitamins and training), Librarian (free French books and a lot of peace and quiet), office worker (very cheap staff mortgage) continuity announcer and journalist (free access to events / travel / the odd little gift here and there, free coffee, biscuits and an electric car). I will be reviewing an organic restaurant in Barbican next month, so I'll get free food! :)

it does not bother me in the least that prsenters get given loads of stuff its obvious. some of the brands qvc sell are quite expensive and for the vendors to be giving items so willlingly shows how cheap everything is to manufacture. keeps the presenters happy so they will gush even more than they have to

Latest posts

Back