Julia's Freebie

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've never understood the goody bag ethos at the Oscars.

Now IMO why would someone who has just earned zillions for an Oscar winning movie need/want a goody bag? I'm sure if they really wanted something but didn't want to pay it wouldn't be too hard to get a freebie but to be given xyz that you didn't express any wish for seems a waste of everyone's time. And as for the like iof Angie and Brad sitting and listing on eBay!,,,,

Still isn't that how Liz Taylor got a lot of her jewellery?[/QUOTE]

I think she went for a Burton!

Naff all for me but send me some freebies if you want err well only beauty/makeup items don't want any DIY tools, root boost or pies Charlie has half eaten because I am on a diet and Dennis Basso could not even give me a freebie because I would throw it back at him.

Naff all for me but send me some freebies if you want err well only beauty/makeup items don't want any DIY tools, root boost or pies Charlie has half eaten because I am on a diet and Dennis Basso could not even give me a freebie because I would throw it back at him.

You could choke him with one of his expensive fur "stoles." Then he might get some understanding of how those poor critters feel when they are gassed in the chambers he has specially prepared. He is a fun character, like a pantomime villain, but his glamorous world certainly has an ugly side.

Now IMO why would someone who has just earned zillions for an Oscar winning movie need/want a goody bag? I'm sure if they really wanted something but didn't want to pay it wouldn't be too hard to get a freebie but to be given xyz that you didn't express any wish for seems a waste of everyone's time. And as for the like iof Angie and Brad sitting and listing on eBay!,,,,

It's all about glamour and decadence. It happens a lot in TV now. I've been to the National Television Awards and it happens there. I've also been to the Brit Awards and it happens there too. People get all sorts of gifts including free "Crissy" aka Cristal champagne. In the Green Rooms they had semicircular breakout areas with mini fridges containing fruit, Lindt chocolate, nuts, desserts, cakes. I didn't go to the after-party - wasn't invited :( but I heard Ed Sheeran got smashed and also nabbed loads of free bottles of Crissy.

I always find it rather obscene that those who can afford the Spa's, high end goods etc etc are given them in goody bags for nothing. I don't care whether they are sales presenters, or highly paid film stars, those who are more deserving of these special treats like the fire service, the police, the armed forces and medical teams get sod all. Just look at the support teams who jumped on a plane to head out to Nepal to give assistance, compared to those idiot pop / film stars who 'demand' certain things to be in their dressing rooms, its a travesty. Blagging a Lulu Guinness or a Butler & Wilson on camera I find offensive, and should be done off screen.

The goodie bags are given to celebs so that when they then go on to use / wear / mention the product it will be seen by the public as an endorsement.

Were you the nit nurse by any chance?

No LTA ,the Nit Nurse was stopped, which resulted in loads of children in my school coming into class "crawling". I appointed myself as unofficial Nit Nurse in the staff room. Sometimes had a teacher or two pop over to my house at night for a quick check or treatment (more interesting than a Tupperware party) Used to keep a card with nitty hairs on it to show the uninitiated what to look for......but drew the line at keeping specimens of the adult beasties under sellotape. With impetigo and scabies teaching was never a glamorous profession.

Unfortunately that is the way it is. Look at the lower end zelebs they get all sorts given to them, we are talking reality,minor pop singers and soap. They never have to buy a dress for an event its loaned to them, at the Oscars its the diamonds. There was a row a few years back when Sharon Stone insisted a diamond bracelet from I think from Harry Winston was a gift and not a loan. They wanted it back.

When its reported that such and such uses whatever beauty product, its because the company sent it free with rest of the range. It gets the company ad space in the mags.

When Catherine was marrying William, every perfume house sent her bottles of perfume, they really wanted to be the one she wore on the day. Even just sending got them page space, will she wear Annick Goutal etc. Turned out she wore a small UK company that is not that expensive. But it earned the company millions in sales worldwide because she wore it.

A lot of it is obviously to increase sales of a certain product or to present the image they want for a product. If Mrs B is wearing a particular brand then nobody knows or cares but if a celeb, even a Z list one is promoting something then somebody, somewhere will notice. Image is everything in sales whether it`s on TV, in magazines, on Q or anywhere.
A friend of my husband`s daughter worked at a University teaching student dental nurses and hygienists. She was then offered a sales job with a company which sells dental equipment all over the UK and in Europe. Along with the job offer came a doubling of her teacher`s salary, a top of the range Mercedes and an insistance that she had veneers on her teeth at the Company`s expense. They didn`t just want her teeth to look good ( which they already were ) they wanted her teeth to look exceptionally good because of the items she was selling and so cosmetic dentistry was seen as an essential part of her image.
When JR goes out wearing her freeble B and W jewellery, people know she`s on TV and take notice of everything she wears, the same goes with other presenters I daresay and as this forum proves, even the tiniest detail of their appearance can often promote many opinions and discussions so it must pay off for the sellers to give freebies.
AY is prime example, on Q`s facebook page it`s nothing unusual for people to be pestering trying to find out what colour her nail polish/lipstick or eye shadow is and the same goes for people asking where so and so bought their dress or their shoes etc.

I think that the majority have such huge egos they think freebies are their prerogative.

I would expect, for a selly telly job, that samples of products should be given to presenters who will be presenting hours which feature the products in question. Surely the purpose of trying a product is to be able to describe the look, feel, texture, smell, effect, benefits of said product. How does flogging it on Ebay help the presenters to convey to the audience the qualities of the product??

What I like about AY is that she does try to describe textures, effect, smell and who something is suitable for.

Maybe I'm not a noticing kind of person, but I don't see Julia wearing B&W on QVC unless it's a B&W hour. Does she wear it a lot?

Last edited:
I would expect, for a selly telly job, that samples of products should be given to presenters who will be presenting hours which feature the products in question. Surely the purpose of trying a product is to be able to describe the look, feel, texture, smell, effect, benefits of said product. How does flogging it on Ebay help the presenters to convey to the audience the qualities of the product??

Maybe I'm not a noticing kind of person, but I don't see Julia wearing B&W on QVC unless it's a B&W hour. Does she wear it a lot?

I agree with your first point, that's why I think Jill Franks openly stating she had given away a Yankee TSV is taking the proverbial.

I believe Julia has quite a lot of Butler and Wilson pieces. One of the chapters of her book was based on the number of B & W items she owned (each chapter number was linked to the content of the chapter). Maybe she doesn't wear them on air if they are no longer available. I haven't read the book but maybe someone who has can remember how many items Julia owns.

Free sample of something that needs used to be able to give an opinion is one thing and In fact I don't know how you could do so without using it, but do you really need a GIFT of jewellery to have an opinion?

they do get stuff given to them oooddles and ooooodles. its a fact who cares. when customers were allowed gifts the vendors gave out stacks of stuff. it costs then pennies. its the name of the game give a freebie get loyalty

I wonder if any of 'em will admit to being given the multi item from the Wardrobe Warrior herself - in poo brown :mysmilie_866:

I doubt many, if any, of the presenters have any influence over what suppliers QVC deal with. So from that point of view I'm not concerned that gifts given to them are going to assert any undue influence. I dare say the ones who have the greatest influence are the purchasing department, and I would hope that the buyers are careful not to put themselves in an awkward position.

The soliciting of gifts on air, or the announcement of receipt as gifts products we are then expected to buy at full QVC price + p&p is where it becomes distasteful. And giving away freebees as presents to friends? Not sure I'd be very happy about that. I gave someone a gift and inadvertently saw that gift being given to someone else as a gift... I felt bad enough, but if I'd been the recipient and had known it had been a present to the giver, I think it would leave a bad taste in the mouth.

Latest posts

Back