Julia asking folk to text their 'forename'

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I was christened but I would never refer to my first name as my christian name. I'm not a christian. We do not live in a christian country, simply because the vast majority of people here are not practising christians. Just because people choose to lie their socks off in a church when they get married, or when they name a baby, or when they die, does not make them christian. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I really do hope Julia has stopped using this term. At best it's inaccurate and at worst it's devisive.

I agree with you, quelle surprise, but I don't take the argument as far as you have. To me good manners is consideration for others and to me (yes just me and my take on things) that means not making assumptions about things such as marital status, food preferences, orientation to name a very small few. I try sincerely not to be dismissive of people, it's important to me and what passes for a conscience.
Having been told by someone desperate to flog me some jewellery that they don't ever think of a cross as a symbol of Christianity I should have given up then :giggle:

i must be dim because i had no idea it provoked such strong feelings. i'm a right heathen but i probably say christian name as much as i say first name or forename simple because that was what it was always called in my day.

i must be dim because i had no idea it provoked such strong feelings. i'm a right heathen but i probably say christian name as much as i say first name or forename simple because that was what it was always called in my day.

but would you use that term if you were asking someone who was wearing a burka what their first name was? wouldnt it strike you as being a teeny bit inappropriate that you were asking someone who, on outward appearances at least, was not a christian for their christian name? how about a woman wearing a sari? or a man in a turban?

JR is speaking to a large audience. the fact that she does not know who she is speaking to, from what background, country or religeon simply means that she should stop using usingt the term "christian name". its outdated and inappropriate.

I had a Christian name until the "excommunication" incident of 1987 :thinking:

One would have to be deliberately obtuse not to know that asking a person to text in their christian name, ment their first name; but it really is just good manners to say first name rather than christian name.

What needs to be remembered, is that a lot of us baby boomers who were born just after WW2 have grown up with a 'christian name' - and yes in some quarters its probably "outdated" to call it that - BUT 'back then' this was STILL regarded as a wholely christian country - very few other faiths were prevailent at that time, so the term "christian name" was never an issue. We were "Christened" (baptised) in church (somehow being 'forenamed' in church does'nt cut the mustard), and people still refer to being invited to a "Christening" not a forenaming, and I dont think that will ever change.

I think life is too short to worry about such things. A rose by any other name and all that.

we also used to put homosexuals in jail and pay women lower wages than men.

we've moved on now. try it.

Matrons used to be in charge of hospitals, and were cleaner places as a result - moved on a lot haven't we.

I only had a conversation yesterday with some of my work colleagues about one of them being called 'love' by a window cleaner collecting his money. I can't believe how petty some people are by taking umbrage at things like this. My colleague was annoyed with the window cleaner, but he only meant it as a pleasantry, I'm sure. If he'd have called her a b*tch, i'd have understood!

I'm not religious at all, but still refer to someone's first name as a christian name. If this annoys or offends someone, I really hope that nothing traumatic happens in their lives as I really don't think they'd be able to cope.

Matrons used to be in charge of hospitals, and were cleaner places as a result - moved on a lot haven't we.

I'm confused: how's that related to men being jailed for being gay, or women being paid less for doing the same job as a man?

I only had a conversation yesterday with some of my work colleagues about one of them being called 'love' by a window cleaner collecting his money. I can't believe how petty some people are by taking umbrage at things like this. My colleague was annoyed with the window cleaner, but he only meant it as a pleasantry, I'm sure. If he'd have called her a b*tch, i'd have understood!

I'm not religious at all, but still refer to someone's first name as a christian name. If this annoys or offends someone, I really hope that nothing traumatic happens in their lives as I really don't think they'd be able to cope.

Trust me I've had plenty nasty freaking traumas in my life including a wino waving a broken bottle at my throat in broad daylight on a busy street and yelling about Jews (I haven't any Jewish ancestry, but some good friends). I cope fine but I still feel that I want to be considerate dealing with people. I certainly wasn't Christened, Mrs Bates insisted on secular with an uncharacteristic fury and that I would respect all equally. I live next to a church and get to see the most spectacular of God's handiwork during electrical storms.

Totally agree, cos when I last looked, this country IS STILL Christian !!!! I was brought up with a 'christian' name, and if others are offended, but sorry thats their problem !

Is it? If you surveyed people in the UK you'd probably find that the majority of people who actually and literally actively followed their faith were not Christian.

And I'm rather glad of that: I wouldn't want to live in a country that saw itself as "Christian", "Jewish", "Muslim" or even "atheist". How excluded would I feel if I just happened not to believe in the prevailing religion? And how easy would it be to slip into persecuting supposed minorities?

What needs to be remembered, is that a lot of us baby boomers who were born just after WW2 have grown up with a 'christian name' - and yes in some quarters its probably "outdated" to call it that - BUT 'back then' this was STILL regarded as a wholely christian country - very few other faiths were prevailent at that time, so the term "christian name" was never an issue. We were "Christened" (baptised) in church (somehow being 'forenamed' in church does'nt cut the mustard), and people still refer to being invited to a "Christening" not a forenaming, and I dont think that will ever change.

The UK was not a wholly Christian country after WW2, the majority of people might have been Christians but it certainly wasn't wholly.

but would you use that term if you were asking someone who was wearing a burka what their first name was? wouldnt it strike you as being a teeny bit inappropriate that you were asking someone who, on outward appearances at least, was not a christian for their christian name? how about a woman wearing a sari? or a man in a turban?

JR is speaking to a large audience. the fact that she does not know who she is speaking to, from what background, country or religeon simply means that she should stop using usingt the term "christian name". its outdated and inappropriate.

ya know BB, i'd probably put my foot right in my mouth and say just that! you see to me 'christian' name is just a word like surname. it's the way i was brought up and i can't say as i've ever really thought about the religious connotations.

Don't you ever just want to say something cos you know it will piss a few people off????!!!! :D

All this PC bollox is nauseating! Everyone should be treated with respect and if people get so worked up about one little word, then Jesus H Christ, this world is even more screwed that I thought!!!

Latest posts

Back