Julia and Alpha H

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

livelovelaugh

Registered Shopper
Did anyone catch Julia presenting the Alpha H show at 11pm last night?

It may be just me, but I was a little disappointed with her lack of understanding about the range. I am a big fan of natural and gentle products and usually go with A'Kin...but, I have some pigmentation marks and so I alternate between Alpha H for a bit and then go back to A'Kin.

When I first started looking at Alpha H I was nervous, but thanks to tips from all of you (thanks!!!) I felt less nervous and went for a starter kit. I have no idea why Julia has not done the same...she said in the show twice that people (in particular women) are feeling nervous about the range and that Michelle is explaining the range in a frightening way...towards the end, I think Michelle got a bit annoyed as there were a few uncomfortable moments when Michelle started rebuking Julia...

I didn't see this show but I've seen Julia present a show with Tom and it was blatantly obvious she had never tried the range and had no intention of doing so. I think they should get other presenters doing these shows - ones that are willing to try the range - or even some of the male presenters - and leave Julia to prattle on about Decleor hand cream and Gale Hayman eye gel. :yawn:

Julia is really not herself at the moment. At times she does not look well & she just sounds bored with it all IMO

i think julia should try alpha-h as the liquid gold is excellent for firming as is the rejuvinating cream.

she has said she has sensitive skin but its not a frightening range.

thb decleor/elemis are fine as a moisturiser but for real skin issues alpha-h is the best

i think julia should try alpha-h as the liquid gold is excellent for firming as is the rejuvinating cream.

she has said she has sensitive skin but its not a frightening range.

thb decleor/elemis are fine as a moisturiser but for real skin issues alpha-h is the best

I so agree...I was pretty unsure about the range but since trying it, think it is great. I think it is both very affordable and effective. I do hope Michelle has a word with someone at QVC as I thought Julia was doing a very good job of putting any new customers off....she got pretty annoyed by the end as she told Julia off and Julia just kept going on about the glycolic acid...

One thing I would say about JR is that she is honest. It is pretty obvious when she geniunely likes something. She loves Ronni Nicole and Tiana B. She adores Gayle Hayman lip lift and Decleor - especially the hand cream. Obviously she loves the Smashbox liners and all things in purple.
I find it endearing that she doesn't like big bulky rings and her engagement ring is not huge.
This aspect of JR makes her authentic and believable in contrast to JF, who appears to love everything.

One thing I would say about JR is that she is honest. It is pretty obvious when she geniunely likes something. She loves Ronni Nicole and Tiana B. She adores Gayle Hayman lip lift and Decleor - especially the hand cream. Obviously she loves the Smashbox liners and all things in purple.
I find it endearing that she doesn't like big bulky rings and her engagement ring is not huge.
This aspect of JR makes her authentic and believable in contrast to JF, who appears to love everything.

It is not an engagement ring!

i actually do like that about julia but she has to maybe be a little more neutral if she is not sure about something.
i did not see her but generally she is quite sincere.

did not like her going on about the models feet though. she can be quite irritating about small and large big and all that rubbish regarding size. it makes her come across as shallow and silly,childish even.
its a shame i had to say this as i have always like julia but lately:confused:

Julia is paid to present and, whilst she should ask questions which the viewer might ask if they were there, she should not be openly discouraging people from trying a product. She should also read up on anything that she doesn't use so she is informed about the product. Y'know just like us "normal" folk have to do at work. Its called being professional.

Well I think Julia should give Alpha H a go. After all, as she is always telling us - she has the 30 day money back guarantee! She has nothing to lose etc etc. Or lets face it, she could always get one of the starter kits as a freebie and actually do some proper research of the brand she is presenting.

If Julia has sensitive skin I can understand why she is apprehensive trying this. As she said you can try and patch test first.

Glycolic acid isn't for everyone even though it's a naturally occuring substance (from sugar cane). Liquid Gold is only 5% so would be fine but she could very well have a reaction on a 15% strength or 12% in some of their products. Could be just redness or the skin can be irritated.
I had redness for several hours (like sunburn) just from a 15% strength and it frightened the hell out of me, I put on loads of pure aloe vera gel after to take away the heat. Lower concentrations I'm fine but at this strength all I have to do is make sure is that I'm not going anywhere to allow it time to calm down.
Some people don't even get any redness but not everyone's skin can tolerate it.

It is not suitable for anyone who has rosacea, pregnant or breast feediing, taking medication that has caused skin sensitivity, skin allergies in general or have broken capillaries. It does annoy me though that Michelle never mentions this.

I did disagree with some of the things said when they compared their product over others when it is not all true and just shows that they are there to sell their brand. Their brand is not unique in the professional world and others have been on the market a lot longer than they have.

:flower:

If Julia has sensitive skin I can understand why she is apprehensive trying this. As she said you can try and patch test first.

Glycolic acid isn't for everyone even though it's a naturally occuring substance (from sugar cane). Liquid Gold is only 5% so would be fine but she could very well have a reaction on a 15% strength or 12% in some of their products. Could be just redness or the skin can be irritated.
I had redness for several hours (like sunburn) just from a 15% strength and it frightened the hell out of me, I put on loads of pure aloe vera gel after to take away the heat. Lower concentrations I'm fine but at this strength all I have to do is make sure is that I'm not going anywhere to allow it time to calm down.
Some people don't even get any redness but not everyone's skin can tolerate it.

It is not suitable for anyone who has rosacea, pregnant or breast feediing, taking medication that has caused skin sensitivity, skin allergies in general or have broken capillaries. It does annoy me though that Michelle never mentions this.

I did disagree with some of the things said when they compared their product over others when it is not all true and just shows that they are there to sell their brand. Their brand is not unique in the professional world and others have been on the market a lot longer than they have.

Thank you so much for this. Reading the earlier posts I had more or less decided to try a kit, but I have broken capillaries so it's a no no for me unfortunately.

I agree there is a lot of advice to the effect that Glycolic acid peels should not be performed on pregnant women, or during the breast feeding period and those with darkly pigmented skin and patients with rosacea may not be ideal candidates but I have never come across any contraindication that suggests you should not use it if you have boken capillaries (spider veins). Of course mechanical peels should not be used you have broken capillaries.

Last edited:
is using glcolic peels the same as using the alpha-h at 5-10%. i gave a kit to my daughter who is breast feeding i am really upset now.

I didn't see the hour so am not sure how professional/unprofessional JR really was - but in her defence,I really don't think every presenter should have to try everything,in order to talk about it.Yes it would help to be more informed - yes it would be nice - but then on the other hand,I can't stand JF for "everything" she loves and can't live without:confused:

I can honestly say that I'd be a good presenter on QVC because honestly,theres not much I haven't tried:mysmilie_516: or sad enough to listen to nearly all the shows throughout the years - but I'd much prefer to listen to a presenter to whose honest enough to talk about what they haven't tried - but also be interested enough in the product to talk/ask questions about it (which i'm presuming JR didn't??)

In the case of broken capillaries (caused by chronic sun exposure) using glycolic acid is going to expose new skin (so they will be more obvious) and then by not protecting the skin with sun block you can create more broken capillaries because of more exposure to UV rays which caused the damage in the first place. I wouldn't call it a contraindication more of why you shouldn't use it on that skin type. Likewise if you are using glycolic to remove high pigmentation unless you protect the skin with high SPF it's not going to improve it and exposure to the sun just creates more/stays the same.

Also glycolic acid besides the tingling/stinging/burning sensation (in some people) blood is rushing to the surface of the skin to cause redness and this can also make the problem worse or even create broken capillaries. Using hot water to wash your face with can cause it too. Not a contraindication but again a decision do you want to use it?

It also depends on how severe the broken capillaries are and how much of it you have as to whether to avoid using it and also the strength of the glycolic acid. This is an ideal scenario for visting a professional to see if it is suitable for you.

I didn't see the live hour but you can see some of what JR was saying in the product demo for the Micro Cleanse:

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx?app=detail&view=2&params=item^226752,tpl^uk,sc^,cc^,from^,navlist^219191*222031*222768*223168*226232*226752*227729*229962*,cm_scid^24hr

I think she asked quite a reasonable question and the guest from Alpha H responded at length explaining what the idea behind glycolic was. It's not something I'd really want to try as I think it sounds like quite an aggressive ingredient so I suppose I probably agree with where Julia was coming from.

Glycolic is an aggressive ingredient, but -

1. it is not included in all of the range - I think Michelle said it was in five products in the range - the rest of the range is about boosting the skin with more hydration, vitamins etc.
2. as someone who has tried multiple ranges, I firmly believe that it is a more gentle solution than a lot of other products, in particular Philosophy and Elemis (the cleanser in Alpha H is much more gentle than Purity and the microcleanse is very similar to The Great Mystery - and therefore much more gentle than Philosophy's microdemebrasion...it is also a lot more gentle than Elemis tri-enzyme range)
3. I have no problem with Julia not trying or even trying the range and not returning to the range...I would appreciate the honesty. However, her obvious lack of knowledge about the range did a disservice to viewers, the range and the guests. I have nothing against Julia but in this presentation she came across and rude and ignorant and would have been enough for me to turn off the range if I had not tried it before.

In the case of broken capillaries (caused by chronic sun exposure) using glycolic acid is going to expose new skin (so they will be more obvious) and then by not protecting the skin with sun block you can create more broken capillaries because of more exposure to UV rays which caused the damage in the first place.

The cause of spider veins is not completely known. Sun damage is thought to maybe one of the ways you can produce spider veins, and spf is given, but the levels of Glycolic in this range only going unglue and remove dead cells to exfoliate. We are not talking about glycolic peels here (30% glycolic and upwards to around 70%) and the products that have under 10% glycolic are probably not worth the money anyway - so ineffective are they . You are right the ones you have will be more obvious. Take a look at this short video.

I have a few broken veins around my nose and use the 15% mask daily and the age restoration cream (10%) daily and not a single new one has appeared (this is just my subjective experience ofc). I will be trying the new serum although I would have preferred to have seen some retinol in there rather than the retinyll acetate but again realise they are keeping products gentle not to alienate customers. Oh and retinol in the product could have caused broken capillaries.

Latest posts

Back