Jess Foley

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Not sure I've seen truly nasty posts, except by the occasional troll who comes out from under the bridge. The nails thing? Well, hygiene is the immediate thing that stands out with those. I've seen shocking raw then cooked chicken videos with people wearing false nails that range from decorative to velociraptor. For a beauty show, it is probably unnecessary but truly nasty, not sure. Horses for courses I guess.
Criticising some of the nails is, in my opinion, legitimate. Apart from basic hygiene, professionalism should dictate that a presenter has cleaned, cared for nails if they are showing off jewellery in close-up - and on too many occasions presenters have about half an inch of congealed make-up under their false nails. You can see it quite clearly and from the colour you can tell it's foundation. This isn't the way to show off jewellery, and doesn't say much for the presenter's opinion of their viewers, so again the criticism's perfectly legit.

And should TV presenters need to be told this is not acceptable? Don't think so.

Criticising some of the nails is, in my opinion, legitimate. Apart from basic hygiene, professionalism should dictate that a presenter has cleaned, cared for nails if they are showing off jewellery in close-up - and on too many occasions presenters have about half an inch of congealed make-up under their false nails. You can see it quite clearly and from the colour you can tell it's foundation. This isn't the way to show off jewellery, and doesn't say much for the presenter's opinion of their viewers, so again the criticism's perfectly legit.

And should TV presenters need to be told this is not acceptable? Don't think so.
Reading this reminded me. There once was a time, or two where at least two different presenters on Gems, apologised for the state of their nails / skin on hands, by saying they had been gardening or whatever earlier at home. Chipped nails and scratches on skin. Not noticed if they do that now though.

Reading this reminded me. There once was a time, or two where at least two different presenters on Gems, apologised for the state of their nails / skin on hands, by saying they had been gardening or whatever earlier at home. Chipped nails and scratches on skin. Not noticed if they do that now though.
I remember occasions when they did that (I know Steve Bennett was one presenter).

They don't give a sh*t about their nails anymore! Or anything else! - just sell, sell, sell. Where's the humour, entertainment and 'watchability?' Definitely NOT the Gemporia we used to know!!
I was only thinking the other day that someone like Scott Worsfold or Drew Nicholls wouldn't last a day on there now - there's no room now for any entertainment, light-hearted banter or jokes, it's just relentless push, push, push, and talk as much cr%p as you can. And what's with the protracted handover embraces at the end of a shift? This morning, it took about ten minutes for Kate to leave the studio at handover - and if she hugged and kissed Cherry Cavill once she did it about half a dozen times before she (Kate) finally slung her hook. Unless Kate was off on a polar expedition and not due back for 6 months she'll probably be seeing Cherry Cavill tomorrow morning, so why all the faux emotion?

Multi buy a £50 pair of Jilin earrings. With more than one stone in each. No thanks. Buy one pair and you get 8 peridot and 8 'other stones' to dismember and do as you will. Get multiple items just by plucking the stones out: IF that's what you want. Cheaper too ;)

Did I hear another repeat? Probably ;) How many more times can they 'blame' the pandemic for lack of pearls? Didn't pearls continue to 'grow' in the oysters (or whatever they used) regardless of the pandemic? Bordering 5 years now (this coming December, which will be here soon) and they won't let it go. Can't just say, Charlie isn't going to sell us pearls anymore, and be done with it. I'm actually surprised they haven't blamed the pandemic for the lack of other gemstones: no mining, but no? Not at far as I know anyway. Mini rant over ;)

Did I hear another repeat? Probably ;) How many more times can they 'blame' the pandemic for lack of pearls? Didn't pearls continue to 'grow' in the oysters (or whatever they used) regardless of the pandemic? Bordering 5 years now (this coming December, which will be here soon) and they won't let it go. Can't just say, Charlie isn't going to sell us pearls anymore, and be done with it. I'm actually surprised they haven't blamed the pandemic for the lack of other gemstones: no mining, but no? Not at far as I know anyway. Mini rant over ;)
Perhaps Charlie's had enough of them and wants to sever the links. I've not noticed any shortage of pearls or pearl items around, and OK they'll say 'ah, but, his were 'the best of the best of the best, etc.' but they would say that, wouldn't they? There's always a 'shortage' for some reason or the mine's about to close - they should look for a different excuse occasionally.

Perhaps Charlie's had enough of them and wants to sever the links. I've not noticed any shortage of pearls or pearl items around, and OK they'll say 'ah, but, his were 'the best of the best of the best, etc.' but they would say that, wouldn't they? There's always a 'shortage' for some reason or the mine's about to close - they should look for a different excuse occasionally.
I agree, he has some good stuff, but there are more pearl fishers / growers / sellers out there than just the one man and his people. And pearls will never cease to be made by nature: they've been around for 1000s of years, through wars, pandemics, plagues, tsunamis and so on, and they are still 'here'. They may be 'rare', like all gems (I still feel weird grouping pearls with 'stones'), but if you can't get them (all stones etc) from somewhere, you can probably find them from somewhere else.

Interview from 2021: Charlie’s uncle David talking to Steve B. David is a dealer based in Aust and sells to TV networks as well as his online shop and gallery in Syd. He will hand the business to Charlie once he retires. The current auction price of large South Sea pearl lots is double from a few years back, so cost prohibitive for Gemporia. David sells mainly from his plentiful vault but has noted the Chinese are willing yo pay high prices so he isn’t able to replenish stock. Freshwater are a different story, which is what Gemporia are mainly selling.

Interview from 2021: Charlie’s uncle David talking to Steve B. David is a dealer based in Aust and sells to TV networks as well as his online shop and gallery in Syd. He will hand the business to Charlie once he retires. The current auction price of large South Sea pearl lots is double from a few years back, so cost prohibitive for Gemporia. David sells mainly from his plentiful vault but has noted the Chinese are willing yo pay high prices so he isn’t able to replenish stock. Freshwater are a different story, which is what Gemporia are mainly selling.
Some nice pieces he has on his page :)

And what's with the protracted handover embraces at the end of a shift? This morning, it took about ten minutes for Kate to leave the studio at handover - and if she hugged and kissed Cherry Cavill once she did it about half a dozen times before she (Kate) finally slung her hook. Unless Kate was off on a polar expedition and not due back for 6 months she'll probably be seeing Cherry Cavill tomorrow morning, so why all the faux emotion?
It seems that Gemporia try to 'drag out' airtime as possible now - long drawn-out speeches, long changeovers or ad breaks, over-playing of VT's (especially Ellis 'lets show everyone to buy for the 15th time this hour' Ward), endless clocks on screen, on-screen graphics, reading of buyers names, and other pointless waffle.

I'm convinced that the above, combined with the fact there are dedicated Kimbie shows, 'David Harry Jewels' shows, 'Cavill & Co' shows, Primal shows, Visage shows, etc on a daily basis now, that they don't have a lot of 'Gemporia Jewellery' stock for shows now.

If you take out the non-live hours and the shows listed above, I bet there's only about 4 hours of actual 'Gemporia Jewellery' shows per day now.

A huge reduction from their 'peak' years when all they ever did was 24/7 live Jewellery.

I've not noticed any shortage of pearls or pearl items around

Gemporia sell more pearls now than they ever did. However, most are now dyed or bleached pearls from China.

I suspect that Charlie went because Gemporia have opted to mass-buy lower-grade pearls, for far cheaper, from China.

It seems that Gemporia try to 'drag out' airtime as possible now - long drawn-out speeches, long changeovers or ad breaks, over-playing of VT's (especially Ellis 'lets show everyone to buy for the 15th time this hour' Ward), endless clocks on screen, on-screen graphics, reading of buyers names, and other pointless waffle.

I'm convinced that the above, combined with the fact there are dedicated Kimbie shows, 'David Harry Jewels' shows, 'Cavill & Co' shows, Primal shows, Visage shows, etc on a daily basis now, that they don't have a lot of 'Gemporia Jewellery' stock for shows now.

If you take out the non-live hours and the shows listed above, I bet there's only about 4 hours of actual 'Gemporia Jewellery' shows per day now.

A huge reduction from their 'peak' years when all they ever did was 24/7 live Jewellery.

Gemporia sell more pearls now than they ever did. However, most are now dyed or bleached pearls from China.

I suspect that Charlie went because Gemporia have opted to mass-buy lower-grade pearls, for far cheaper, from China.
I can't stand all the fake emotion and hugging - it's so tedious, all of it, and is quite obviously put on. I always wonder if they hate each other, really. Meanwhile, the viewers sit there waiting to see the items being sold, which is why they tuned in in the first place.

I can't stand all the fake emotion and hugging - it's so tedious, all of it, and is quite obviously put on. I always wonder if they hate each other, really. Meanwhile, the viewers sit there waiting to see the items being sold, which is why they tuned in in the first place.

I know for certain of two that don't like each other - but on screen, they'd have to do the fake friendly crossover.

No one can like everyone, let alone all the time, even if they do.
Very true, but at changeover they should just do a 'hi and goodbye', rather than all the fake schmaltz of kissing and hugging each other and all the 'lovely's' - 'hello, lovely', 'when are you back, lovely?', etc. etc. Just go to a video and leave it at that.

As has been said on here already, the impression given is that they are desperate to use up some time because they haven't enough items to sell - but then when the next presenter begins their hour we get another load of chinwag to use up even more time.

Very true, but at changeover they should just do a 'hi and goodbye', rather than all the fake schmaltz of kissing and hugging each other.

I've a better idea. Give them both a pair of boxing gloves and have a live fight during changeover.

Use one of Dave Troths 30 second clocks to count down each round.

Winners get to stay on and present. Loser gets their P45.

I'd tune in for this alone.

Absolutely.

I've a better idea. Give them both a pair of boxing gloves and have a live fight during changeover.

Use one of Dave Troths 30 second clocks to count down each round.

Winners get to stay on and present. Loser gets their P45.

I'd tune in for this alone.

Absolutely.
:ROFLMAO: It would certainly be more entertaining than watching Dave Del Boy waffling on or listening to Lindsay squeaking like Minnie Mouse.

Latest posts

Back