Jade Troth is back

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Well considering Jade Trot and Toby Cavill are considered 'gem experts' by Gemporia, when Toby was on Gem Collector earlier, he seemed totally surprised as to what 'Mottramite' was when Emily mentioned to it during the show tonight.

Then Emily seemed fascinated when Toby mentioned that he was trying to source some 'Triplite' - seeming unsure as to what it was. Which was surprising because they've been selling Triplite on Gem Collector for over ten years - and its still readily available on the Gem Collector website. She MUST have seen it - yet seemed totally baffled as to what it was.

I have no gem qualifications either, but as a collector of rare minerals, gemstones and fossils for the past decade, I swear I have self-taught knowledge that is at least close to what these supposed 'gem professionals' seem to know.

One things that REALLY annoys me is, when flogging Fluorite, they say "this shares the same crystal structure as a diamond" - in order to make them sound similar. THEY AREN'T! Diamonds are a solid 10 on the Mohs Scale. Fluorite really is not a jewellery stone. It's only a 4 on the Mohs scale and will shatter if you sneeze in its direction.

Last edited:
...and Apatite too has the same backbone and durability as a Tiktok generation university graduate.

...and Apatite too has the same backbone and durability as a Tiktok generation university graduate.

Yep.

One of Gemporia's main selling points over the years is that they sell stones that you can't find in your typical High Street Jewellers. But there's a reason why jewellers don't sell them - they're not suitable for jewellery.

Sure, Apatite for a tenner in a cheap ring - no problem. But setting it in gold and asking £150 for it is, in my opinion, not very wise.

I guess that's why they only stand by their products for 6 months - the minimum required by law. If they really believed in their products, they'd offer at least a one year guarantee.

They sell Lorique jewellery with big carat weight Sphenes for thousands occasionally - but, like Apatite, is only 5 on the Mohs scale. I love Sphene - it's a gorgeous bright stone that I'd far prefer over a yellow diamond.

Imagine paying £3000 for a Sphene 'Lorique' piece of jewellery, only to find that the stone cracks seven months down the line and Gemporia turn around and say "Sorry mate, your six months warranty is up". Disgraceful!

Yep.

One of Gemporia's main selling points over the years is that they sell stones that you can't find in your typical High Street Jewellers. But there's a reason why jewellers don't sell them - they're not suitable for jewellery.

Sure, Apatite for a tenner in a cheap ring - no problem. But setting it in gold and asking £150 for it is, in my opinion, not very wise.

I guess that's why they only stand by their products for 6 months - the minimum required by law. If they really believed in their products, they'd offer at least a one year guarantee.

They sell Lorique jewellery with big carat weight Sphenes for thousands occasionally - but, like Apatite, is only 5 on the Mohs scale. I love Sphene - it's a gorgeous bright stone that I'd far prefer over a yellow diamond.

Imagine paying £3000 for a Sphene 'Lorique' piece of jewellery, only to find that the stone cracks seven months down the line and Gemporia turn around and say "Sorry mate, your six months warranty is up". Disgraceful!
Sphene is indeed a lovely stone but, as you say, far too soft & fragile for jewellery, especially rings.

Yep.

Thank you learned something new again today
1) 6 months warranty.?? .2) Sphene ( which I don't own ) is fragile.

Yep.

Yes, sphalerite is also beautiful but too soft to be set into jewellery and yet they sold it in both 9k and 18k gold rings without telling customers how fragile the stone really is

Yes, sphalerite is also beautiful but too soft to be set into jewellery and yet they sold it in both 9k and 18k gold rings without telling customers how fragile the stone really is
It's stunning but you're right - it can get damaged if you as much as sneeze at it. Rocks & Co sold it in rings too but quite a few of their designs were protective in that they were bezel set in some way but really it's unsuitable for rings. Clever designs in pendants for special occasions can work. This is one design where lasers were used to solder the cage to hold the stone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-11-07-09-54-20-305.jpeg
    Screenshot_2023-11-07-09-54-20-305.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 46
Gemporias Sphalerite is ridiculously expensive too. It always has been - even as a loose stone on Gem Collector.

Even as far back as ten years ago, they were selling cabochons for £100+

In comparison, Gem Select were selling faceted stones of similar carat weight for around £24.

I'm struggling to see how Gemporia justify such a big price gap - especially when they claim to 'cut out the middlemen' to supposedly lower costs.

Gemporias Sphalerite is ridiculously expensive too. It always has been - even as a loose stone on Gem Collector.

Even as far back as ten years ago, they were selling cabochons for £100+

In comparison, Gem Select were selling faceted stones of similar carat weight for around £24.

I'm struggling to see how Gemporia justify such a big price gap - especially when they claim to 'cut out the middlemen' to supposedly lower costs.
I know there are people on this thread who know a lot more about gemstones than I do. What do you think of Petroke Kunzite. Is it likely to be treated and what treatments are used. Would be very grateful for your views as I won one for good price on TJC auctions but as usual no mention of treatments.They do say it’s 4A but there again does it actually mean anything. Thanking you in advance.

I know there are people on this thread who know a lot more about gemstones than I do. What do you think of Petroke Kunzite. Is it likely to be treated and what treatments are used. Would be very grateful for your views as I won one for good price on TJC auctions but as usual no mention of treatments.They do say it’s 4A but there again does it actually mean anything. Thanking you in advance.

Kunzite is generally found either untreated, heat treated or irradiated.

The untreated material is, with the exception of high end stones, generally quite pale in colour and more of a pure, light pink colour. The same applies to the irradiated stones (but their colour has been introduced artificially instead).

Heat treated Kunzite tends to be stronger in colour, and more of a Lilac-Pink to Purplish-Pink rather than a 'pure' pink.

Looking at the Petroke Kunzite's on the TJC website, based on the colour of them (Lilac-Pink to Purplish-Pink), my gut instinct is to say that those stones have been heat treated. Obviously though, the only real way of telling is by having the stone lab tested.

They look too strong and dark in colour to be untreated or irradiated in my personal opinion.

Don't be too dishearted by heat treatment though. It's the least aggressive treatment and closest to 'untreated' that you will find on the market. Gemstones and minerals are subject to extreme heat underground anyway - so heat treatment simply extends a process that would have happened underground over time anyway.

Irradiated stones are an instant turn-off for me though. Irradiation is an aggressive treatment that alters the stone physically - resulting in colour being added that was not there to begin with. That doesn't interest me at all.

Kunzite is generally found either untreated, heat treated or irradiated.

The untreated material is, with the exception of high end stones, generally quite pale in colour and more of a pure, light pink colour. The same applies to the irradiated stones (but their colour has been introduced artificially instead).

Heat treated Kunzite tends to be stronger in colour, and more of a Lilac-Pink to Purplish-Pink rather than a 'pure' pink.

Looking at the Petroke Kunzite's on the TJC website, based on the colour of them (Lilac-Pink to Purplish-Pink), my gut instinct is to say that those stones have been heat treated. Obviously though, the only real way of telling is by having the stone lab tested.

They look too strong and dark in colour to be untreated or irradiated in my personal opinion.

Don't be too dishearted by heat treatment though. It's the least aggressive treatment and closest to 'untreated' that you will find on the market. Gemstones and minerals are subject to extreme heat underground anyway - so heat treatment simply extends a process that would have happened underground over time anyway.

Irradiated stones are an instant turn-off for me though. Irradiation is an aggressive treatment that alters the stone physically - resulting in colour being added that was not there to begin with. That doesn't interest me at all.
Thank you so much . It’s a real minefield for people without much knowledge And for myself I don’t like to spend hard earned money on worthless things Who does. But I do like a bargain.

Thank you so much . It’s a real minefield for people without much knowledge And for myself I don’t like to spend hard earned money on worthless things Who does. But I do like a bargain.
You're welcome.

Its about time the jewellery industry was regulated so that its compulsory that all gem treatments are disclosed.

I'd also ban filled gemstones from being sold by the carat weight. A 1.20ct Ruby is not 1.20cts of stone if 50% of the weight is made up of filling.

You're welcome.

Its about time the jewellery industry was regulated so that its compulsory that all gem treatments are disclosed.

I'd also ban filled gemstones from being sold by the carat weight. A 1.20ct Ruby is not 1.20cts of stone if 50% of the weight is made up of filling.
Never even thought of that. You post some interesting points thank you

Never even thought of that. You post some interesting points thank you
I’ve learned a lot from the gem enthusiasts on this site on what to do when buying. For example I ALWAYS look up stones on other sites and on gem information sites now before buying. Adina was gushing and babbling the other night about the rarest stone in the world she said called shattuckite. She was tripping over her words so much it was difficult to follow what she was saying. I’ve come to think that she does it deliberately. Anyhow Iooked on Etsy and they have buckets of the stuff.

I’ve learned a lot from the gem enthusiasts on this site on what to do when buying. For example I ALWAYS look up stones on other sites and on gem information sites now before buying. Adina was gushing and babbling the other night about the rarest stone in the world she said called shattuckite. She was tripping over her words so much it was difficult to follow what she was saying. I’ve come to think that she does it deliberately. Anyhow Iooked on Etsy and they have buckets of the stuff.
The "rarest stone in the world" would not appear in mass produced jewellery and appear on dozens of shows across a number of months.

The rarest gemstone in the world is called "Kyawthuite". Only ONE stone exists in the world, weighing 1.61cts.

The nonsense that Gemporia (and all the other selly-telly channels too) spout is 100% BS. These channels have had warnings from the ASA over these kind of claims before - yet they continue to do it.

NONE of the 'household name' gemstones that people know are rare - hence why they're household names - because everyone has heard of them due to how common they are.

Diamonds are not rare.
Emeralds are not rare.
Sapphires are not rare.
Rubies are not rare.

Rae Carpenter summed it up perfectly many years ago when it comes to rarity.

There's is perceived rarity - and there is actual rarity.

Actual rare stones are stones such as Benitoite, Painite, Bixbite, etc - where finding them is almost impossible.

'Everyday' stones that everyone knows are perceived rarity.

Thank you learned something new again today
1) 6 months warranty.?? .2) Sphene ( which I don't own ) is fragile.

Awful isn't it. Imagine spending £3000+ on a Lorique ring, only to find that a stone has dropped out 7 months later, and Gemporia will no longer do anything about it because its out of warranty.

This is the warranty section of their Ts & Cs:

Screen Shot 11-08-23 at 07.18 PM.JPG

If as company doesn't offer a decent warranty period, that to me screams out that they don't stand by their products and must believe that the quality of their goods is inferior.

Imagine telling viewers on-air that their jewellery is "heirloom quality" and can be "passed on for generations" - yet offer just the bare minimum legal requirement of just 6 month warranty.

If they believed that their jewellery was good enough to withstand being passed on for generation after generation, they'd back it up with a decent warranty of something like five years (or at the very least, one year!)

Gemporia like to compare themselves to Tiffanys, Boodles, etc when comparing products and prices - but their terms and conditions just give out the impression that they're actually the selly-telly equivalent of Ratners.

Latest posts

Back