Is ...... ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Christmas finished after Christmas Day ?

Listening to some of the presenters today (Boxing Day) it clearly is, as they are asking one another what they did for 'Christmas', or how did they enjoy 'Christmas'.

I know everything appears to be 'back to normal' at the dawn of Boxing Day, but I consider 'Christmas' to be from Christmas Eve through to at least a few days after Boxing Day. Otherwise all those of weeks of build up to amount to just ONE day seems pretty pointless if I'm honest.

Officially there's twelve days of Christmas, there's also the Christmas season that lasts a few weeks or in QVCs case, it lasts five months from "Christmas in July" till two or three days before when there's absolutely no chance of you getting your order for Christmas Day.

Shoppy, don't get me started on Q's delivery for Christmas !

At the same time, 15 days ago, I ordered an item from Navabi (based in Germany), and an item from QVC. Navabi arrived 3 days later, and the QVC item arrived last Saturday. I rest my case.

Shoppy, don't get me started on Q's delivery for Christmas !

At the same time, 15 days ago, I ordered an item from Navabi (based in Germany), and an item from QVC. Navabi arrived 3 days later, and the QVC item arrived last Saturday. I rest my case.

I know, it's probably quicker to walk to Knowsley from any part of Britain than it is to get your QVC parcel delivered.

Our family’s Christmas goes through various stages for the whole of December. None of us likes NYE and don’t celebrate it, it marks THE END of the Christmas season (oops, I should have said the Party season !)

Christmas finished after Christmas Day ?

Listening to some of the presenters today (Boxing Day) it clearly is, as they are asking one another what they did for 'Christmas', or how did they enjoy 'Christmas'.

I know everything appears to be 'back to normal' at the dawn of Boxing Day, but I consider 'Christmas' to be from Christmas Eve through to at least a few days after Boxing Day. Otherwise all those of weeks of build up to amount to just ONE day seems pretty pointless if I'm honest.

I'm not personally religious however I seem to recall something from school about 12 days of Christmas. When that period begins and ends I really have no idea. I don't think I've had such a miserable, horrible Christmas in years. In my view it's spun out to ridiculous proportions - notably by QVC who start their sickly campaigns and bring out THAT ad with the child on the carousel and the lovely mummy and her lovely sponge cake and the train set and the inglenook fireplace and the tree and the aga and the Kitchen Aid etc etc. Then there's poxy Christmas in July.

I have not had a proper meal since falling ill on Saturday and have just about had 1 or 2 small bowls of porridge with sultanas each day. I have to spray my throat with Difflam spray and eat the porridge during a 3-minute time window. I started worrying about work so I went in there only to be sent home. Then I went to Asda thinking I'd try and get some ingredients. Despite drifting in and out of fever I do still feel hungry. When I got to Asda there so many people on Christmas Eve I just found it too much and ended up sitting on the floor in the clothes section underneath a rail of coats for about 20 minutes as I lost my energy. Then I just left and went home. Then I started shaking and rang the NHS 111 service who suggested I drive to Enfield (I live in North London) at 2 in the morning. Then I went to my local walk-in centre at 7am, by which time I'd totally lost my voice, and waited 4 hours to be seen, only to be told to take f***ing ibuprofen and paracetamol - which did nothing for the ******* bastardly evil vicious throat pain. Because I couldn't talk I had to write things down. Then it turned out that the nurse practitioner was dyslexic and seemed to think "IMAGINING" was "imaging?" (she said with a childish questioning tone in her voice). She seemed to think that because I'd lost my voice, I'd lost my mind. The problem was that during the feverish bits, so did I. I just walked out of there. Today I went to Sainsbury's. Virtually nothing in there to buy. No organic meat or vegetables.. Then I walked to Asda. Same thing. M&S - closed. I probably would have been better staying at home than wasting energy I haven't got. I'm sorry for Christmas fans but I really, really do NOT like this horrible, boring, tacky time of the year when I feel I'd be better off dead.

One thing that always disappointed me when I was younger and enjoyed Christmas a lot more than I do now, is how TV always seems to forget Christmas the day after it has passed.

There are the 12 days of Christmas that start on Christmas day, and many people I know keep their trees up for that length of time, more or less. But TV seems to just flick back to normal.

It's especially irritating, but TV has a ****** long build up to Christmas, lasting anything from weeks to months. But then just don't follow the 12 days of Christmas at all. Having said that, last year I think QVC's extra channel kept the name QVC Christmas for at least 12 days afterwards.

One thing that always disappointed me when I was younger and enjoyed Christmas a lot more than I do now, is how TV always seems to forget Christmas the day after it has passed.

There are the 12 days of Christmas that start on Christmas day, and many people I know keep their trees up for that length of time, more or less. But TV seems to just flick back to normal.

It's especially irritating, but TV has a ****** long build up to Christmas, lasting anything from weeks to months. But then just don't follow the 12 days of Christmas at all. Having said that, last year I think QVC's extra channel kept the name QVC Christmas for at least 12 days afterwards.

Ah so that's when the 12 days are. I wouldn't mind it if places stuck to that time, however they don't. It starts in October. At my local Asda they've had a Christmas tree bearing a sign saying "xx number of sleeps until Christmas." Makes me laugh as the vast majority of the staff at that particular Asda are Muslim or Hindu. Maybe QVC should go more multicultural and start doing a "Ramadan in January" event?

The emphasis all seems to be on the build up to Christmas but as soon as it’s here people want to move on to the next thing rather than actually enjoy it. So many people put their Christmas decorations up really early but want to take them down before Christmas is over. Our Christmas tree went up mid-December and will come down around 12th night at the end of Christmas.

The emphasis all seems to be on the build up to Christmas but as soon as it’s here people want to move on to the next thing rather than actually enjoy it. So many people put their Christmas decorations up really early but want to take them down before Christmas is over. Our Christmas tree went up mid-December and will come down around 12th night at the end of Christmas.

Exactly, up ridiculously early and by Boxing Day they want to rip them down as they need to dust everywhere. FB posts are full of moaners yet they put their Christmas decorations pics up end of Nov.

I'm not personally religious however I seem to recall something from school about 12 days of Christmas. When that period begins and ends I really have no idea. I don't think I've had such a miserable, horrible Christmas in years. In my view it's spun out to ridiculous proportions - notably by QVC who start their sickly campaigns and bring out THAT ad with the child on the carousel and the lovely mummy and her lovely sponge cake and the train set and the inglenook fireplace and the tree and the aga and the Kitchen Aid etc etc. Then there's poxy Christmas in July.

I have not had a proper meal since falling ill on Saturday and have just about had 1 or 2 small bowls of porridge with sultanas each day. I have to spray my throat with Difflam spray and eat the porridge during a 3-minute time window. I started worrying about work so I went in there only to be sent home. Then I went to Asda thinking I'd try and get some ingredients. Despite drifting in and out of fever I do still feel hungry. When I got to Asda there so many people on Christmas Eve I just found it too much and ended up sitting on the floor in the clothes section underneath a rail of coats for about 20 minutes as I lost my energy. Then I just left and went home. Then I started shaking and rang the NHS 111 service who suggested I drive to Enfield (I live in North London) at 2 in the morning. Then I went to my local walk-in centre at 7am, by which time I'd totally lost my voice, and waited 4 hours to be seen, only to be told to take f***ing ibuprofen and paracetamol - which did nothing for the ******* bastardly evil vicious throat pain. Because I couldn't talk I had to write things down. Then it turned out that the nurse practitioner was dyslexic and seemed to think "IMAGINING" was "imaging?" (she said with a childish questioning tone in her voice). She seemed to think that because I'd lost my voice, I'd lost my mind. The problem was that during the feverish bits, so did I. I just walked out of there. Today I went to Sainsbury's. Virtually nothing in there to buy. No organic meat or vegetables.. Then I walked to Asda. Same thing. M&S - closed. I probably would have been better staying at home than wasting energy I haven't got. I'm sorry for Christmas fans but I really, really do NOT like this horrible, boring, tacky time of the year when I feel I'd be better off dead.

I do hope you're feeling a tad better today Julius. When you're ill and live alone, everything is exacerbated to the 'nth degree, ie 'nobody cares' / 'I could die and no-one would know' / etc etc.

I suffered for 3 weeks before Christmas with flu/cold whatever and felt I would never feel 'well' again, but I did. Christmas Eve / Day / Boxing Day, I was alone with my dog for company, and spoke to nobody for 3 whole days. I have 2 brothers with families - in the North, and 15 minutes away, but saw neither of them - I'm simply the widowed elderly sister/aunt with no children, but I'm certainly NOT ****** 'simple' !!!

I do agree Julius, ad men continually plug the 'norm' of smiling kids with a cast of thousands for relatives and more food on the table that makes you feel sick. Well, isn't it about time those same ad-men who shove diversity in our faces as the norm, (but in reality it isn't), start to consider the section of the population who ARE alone at Christmas and cater for their needs as well ?

It'll soon all be over Julius, drink some hot oxo - for nourishment when the throat refuses all else, and keep warm.

Oh, for the Christmas holidays, having a great time with your family and shopping is great.

Oh Julius, you have had a miserable time of it. I was going to suggest a take-away (or delivery), but I think Brissles has the right idea with the hot Oxo.

I had a real stinker last summer, in the middle of the heatwave, and yes, you do just want to curl up and die. Perhaps you'll be able to get some proper medical care, now that most places are open again.

I do hope you begin to feel better soon.

Oh brissles I’m the nutty maiden aunt, complete with cat ! For the past 10 days I’ve fitted in with 2 siblings and 5 nieces and nephews as to when & where we could get together for a few hours. Most arrangements have been confirmed (or changed) mere hours before the due time.

They really do not want to upset me, it’s just for various reasons the “minutiae” of their own jobs and lives are more important.

Before retiring I was fairly senior in international banking, “commanding” respect from global clients, representing my company at international conferences, and involved in major industry changes (eg the euro, peer reviews of EU money laundering docs). BUT all this pales into insignificance when family members try to fit me in between work, office parties, collecting party frocks from the dry cleaners, watching a football match on SKY, My Christmas Day was changed twice, to accommodate my niece and then my brother’s girlfriend.

I’m off to my last family get-together at 7pm tonight. I’m not grumpy nor offended, they don’t realise I’m hurt. They just don’t see beyond their own immediate lives and enjoyment. It’s difficult for me to put into words on here, never mind trying to explain it to them.

Latest posts

Back