Is New CID any good?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

W

White Russian

Guest Shopper
I know they have won awards and the colours look good to me, but I'm put off by the fact their products are made in Taiwan. Has anyone tried the range, is the quality ok? All the smashbox shadows made in China seem to be rubbish so I wondered how people had judged these shadows. Am I better off sticking with my Sue Devitt/Laura Geller shadows?

I sent for New CID i-Gel Eyeliner with Brush - Item Number 221670 £18.50 and sent it right back again.
After just half an hour the gel had smeared all over my eyelids.

Slightly off topic - if you go to Q's Beauty section & click on 'New CID', 22 items come up
But NOT the one featured above that I was looking for.
OK, search ....Key in 'CID' and the site comes up with 3,523 results, click on 'Beauty' & you get 478
Crazy!

I like New CID products. That being said, I have mostly the lip products which I find great and long-lasting. I have one little compact with shadows. I prefer Bobbi Brown for shadows because they aren't as messy in the compact. However, the consistency of the New CID, when on the eye, is very nice. And I love their mascara and liquid eyeliner too.

They had a counter in House of Fraser Belfast which was pulled due to lack of sales. The stuff looked like a knock off of Laura Geller baked range mainly. Never had the urge to stop and try it.

I have tried this range and was very disappointed with the quality,the best eyeshadows for me are the new bare escentuals pressed compact powders.
Lynn.

Range has never appealed to me and having just switched on and seen what they have done to JF, well it appeals even less!!!

The makeup looks very average to me, and if the guest says absolutely one more time I will throw something at my tv.The make up artist looks well weird, I'm not into his hair style..:giggle:

Tested yesterday as various items were spotted in tk maxx -- noting the very cheap TK prices (mostly the £ of QVC P&P to test theirs for full lip gloss)

It was the first CID experience for me. My first thought was "whoa Im glad I didn't order from QVC"
  • Very cheap packaging (the lips gloss brush had splayed out)
  • very low quality cosmetic
Fresh in from Taiwan via Alibaba no doubt, and then branded in uk.

Dont be swayed by the light-up gimmick. Collection 2000 have just launched light up in lid gloss for a fiver. They are better.

Jill, your CID soho make-up makes you look corps-ey - thriller-like

Last edited:
p.s. I think packaging wise they are trying to dupe the AMAZING Tom Ford cosmetics particularly their white lipstick containers

No desire to try it. My eyeshadows are bobbi brown, Laura Geller and Smashbox. Disagree with the critical post about Smashbox shadows, I wore one of the trios in a former TSV about 3 years ago for my wedding. Lasted all day and the photos look great (not very modest sorry). Now using the shadows in the last TSV and they are lovely too. Dont use Smashbox in other stuff though.

Just flicked on to see JF made up in it, I actually shrieked 'Oh my god!' out loud. Very very unflattering, very drag-esque. Shame because I think she's quite pretty and is usually well presented.

The woman who represents her CID company looks like a young Anthea Redfern (used to be Bruce Forsythes Mrs in the 1970s) Failing that Im sure she was on sugardaddie.com earning a side-income LOL

Range has never appealed to me and having just switched on and seen what they have done to JF, well it appeals even less!!!
you took the words out of my mouth! Whoever did her make up should be sacked. She looks like something out of a 70's music video, IYKWIM! Just lately, I think she has been looking nice, so why the hell did they pile so much crap on her face?!

No desire to try it. My eyeshadows are bobbi brown, Laura Geller and Smashbox. Disagree with the critical post about Smashbox shadows, I wore one of the trios in a former TSV about 3 years ago for my wedding. Lasted all day and the photos look great (not very modest sorry). Now using the shadows in the last TSV and they are lovely too. Dont use Smashbox in other stuff though.
Eyeshadows, well as a matter of fact a lot of Smashbox ,is now made in China and reviews have been very critical of the drop in quality

never desired to try it as the guest/founder looks like some 80's dallas throwback....a look I don't aspire to :emo:

I was never tempted by them on QVC (find the guest very annoying and the prices too expensive) but I did pick up a palette in TK Maxx for about £7 and I have to say I really like it! It's the Eyes, Lips & Cheeks palette, the eyeshadows are lovely and soft and very pigmented, the blush is a lovely pink and the lip colours are sheer and feel lovely on. I also have one of the light up lipglosses. I love the gloss itself but the light drives me nuts! It's a very blue light and it actually makes it hard to see your lips, it's so bright! I've tried sticking a pin down the hole to break the little bulb but no joy. It would actually put me off buying another one which is a shame as it's really a lovely gloss.

I do think the prices put people off, plus the fact that they are/were one of those companies who tried to get £100 or more out of you to do those cheesy photo shoot things where they tart you up, then rip you off to buy the photos. Certainly when they had a counter in one of the dept stores in London people always gave them a wide berth...

Heard JF raving about the mascara saying it was fab and she never uses anything elso. Hmmmmmmmmmmm i am sure she said this about Mally's.

Can't vouch for the whole range but I am completely obsessed with the primer - it's the best I've tried. My make up does not budge with this as a base and fo rme it's far superior to any other QVC primer I've tried.

Heard JF raving about the mascara saying it was fab and she never uses anything elso. Hmmmmmmmmmmm i am sure she said this about Mally's.

..........and every other brand sold on Q. At least she's consistent with her fibs.

Am I noticing some grey roots showing?

Latest posts

Back