Ingrid Tarrant

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Vienna

Registered Shopper
I didn`t see the programme so I can`t comment about what she did or didn`t say. There are rumblings on Q`s facebook page saying she dissed the NHS on air. Can anybody shed any light on what she actually said ? I must admit if she did make such comments then it seems a bit inappropriate for a shopping channel. Do we have another loose cannon like T and S I wonder ?

I wasn't watching either. What did she say? And what would that have to do with the clothes I wonder?

She said that yong Kim was too nervous to come on air.....she went on air in America, and was so ill through nerves that she ended up in hospital. She then said that she wouldn't want that to happen here because if you went into hospital here you wouldn't come out alive. She realised that perhaps she said the wrong thing, but that it was probably true!!

Thanks Diane. I wondered what she`d said to cause such uproar on Q`s facebook page and now we know.

Quite a few Americans are terrified of going out of the US. Apparently at least 50% of their population doesn't have passports. They seem to think the rest of the world is the wild west!

Quite a few Americans are terrified of going out of the US. Apparently at least 50% of their population doesn't have passports. They seem to think the rest of the world is the wild west!

Well, let's face it......there are a lot of cowboys here in the UK!! :giggle:

'Disgusting' may sound harsh to some, but in reality, she ain't far wrong !!!

I'm old fashioned, BUT exactly WHY cant we return to nurses wearing starched clean uniforms and little hats ? Ok the hats did bugger all, - HOWEVER, in the days when nurses looked the part, there was an overall feeling of hospitals being clean, fresh and disinfected. Sorry to those in the profession now, but hair tied back in a straggly pony tail, and tunic and trousers may well be more comfortable and practical, but this does not give a psychological impression that 'you will be cared for and looked after in here' like the nurses did in the 'old days'.

The same goes for doctors who turn up for work in jeans, T shirts and scruffy jumpers - only realising they are a doctor because the stethoscope is slung around their neck. The excuse of not wearing a white coat - because it harbours germs ! less risk I would have thought than not knowing what floor the jeans have jumped up from !!!

I am not a fan of Ingrid Tarrant, but there are thousands who agree with her. In fact, I am horrified at the thought of ever having to go into hospital these days. It speaks volumes that most hospitals now 'want rid' of patients very quickly, because of fear of them catching another bug during their stay.

I have to say i agree with Ingrid. I dont want to dis the medical professionals because i think they do a sterling job considering the limited resources and over administration they have to deal with. My dad was recently in hospital and i didnt believe it when he told me a nurse had to sure 2 rubber gloves tied together as a tourniquet!!

She said that yong Kim was too nervous to come on air.....she went on air in America, and was so ill through nerves that she ended up in hospital. She then said that she wouldn't want that to happen here because if you went into hospital here you wouldn't come out alive. She realised that perhaps she said the wrong thing, but that it was probably true!!

I saw it and I posted on the Yong Kim thread. I don't think she regretted it at the time though - Jilly eventually brought the subject back to fashion but Ingrid was on a roll.

Just posted on the other thread that maybe Ingrid wants to "bring back matron" and she sounded more sad about it rather than wanting to offend the hard working staff who work in the NHS.

I have to agree with alot of the comments on here.

My heart goes out to those dedicated to working in the NHS (not the highly paid doctors of course who are also dedicated but the money they make more than makes up for it - oh and GPs... don't get me started...) but those who work so very very hard and with such dedication but who are unable to do their jobs as they wish due to so many reasons, such as lack of support and enough nursing staff to go around.

I recently had to attend hospital with a member of my family who was wrongly diagnoised by a nurse, a second nurse, a junior doctor, our GP, another nurse until finally a fortnight later we found ourselves by 'a miracle' infront of someone who gave the correct diagnoses.

People in government should not have private health care but when they need the services, have to go to A&E, wait 2-4 hours, be wrongly diagnoised, go back two, three times over a fortnight (whilst being in agony), then have to wait a month for their MRI scan, then wait a fornight later for their results then try to get a date for their op, which will be another 4 months later only to cancelled on the morning with another indefinate wait.

NOT... oh yes Mr so and so, can we please book you in for your MRI this afternoon with the results tomorrow, op if needed next week? Pleeeeeeese!

I totally agree with Ingrid, good on her.

There do seem to plenty of people from overseas who think its perfectly ok in our hospitals, as an awful lot of them seem to come over here's to get free treatment.

At the end of the day, the woman is there to sell clothes! Not to rubbish the NHS especially on TV, nor on a shopping channel!!

I bet Ingrid Tarrant would not turn down being treated by the NHS if she had medical emergency in fact I don't know anyone who would turn down treatment if they suffered a serious collapse or had an accident. Our NHS hospitals may have huge problems at the moment but for some jumped up so called fashion expert/ celebrity to say what she said on TV is unforgiveable IMO.

We all have our own views about the NHS, whether good or bad ones but perhaps you wouldn`t be allowed to air them at work and to complete strangers and technically that`s what Ingrid did. She was employed to sell clothes to the public, not to air political or personal views on TV. If that`s what she wishes to do then she should apply to go on Question Time or similar programmes. There`s a time and a place for everything and at work, on camera and in front of millions of viewers of a shopping channel isn`t the right place. When I worked for a large department store ( a number of years ago ) we were instructed to keep our personal views about things to ourselves unless we were on a break, in the staffroom and away from the shop floor. I could have ranted to customers many a time about parents of unruly kids, shoplifters, people with bad BO in the fitting rooms etc etc but it was unprofessional to do so and in a nutshell Ingrid was totally unprofessional in bringing up such an emotive subject.

I was thinking the same Vienna, expressing personal views like that is for another genre of programme altogether. Free speech aside, QVC is not really the place for opinions to be expressed on such emotive subjects- most of us will have had a good/bad/mixed experience of the NHS either ourselves or through others but you don't tune in to QVC to hear about them. I don't think Ingrid Tarrant has a particularly controversial opinion- but QVC is no doubt worried about losing a lot of customers from disgruntled NHS staff or those with very strong political opinions that are not the same as Ingrids.

Sadly, these types of comments (by Ingrid) do very little to sustain morale within a profession that is constantly battered in the media. I do not know of any other professional group that takes hit after hit in the same way. Even politicians seem to be better thought of and they are the policy and decision makers in charge of NHS. Whilst I agree that there are problems much of it lies with fear of litigation causing hospitals to put layer after layer of red tape in the way of hands on care. The focus on reducing length of stay and increasing throughput of patients inevitably reduces patient experience. Most nurses are caring and compassionate, however imagine how difficult it is working in this culture. Maybe Ingrid et al should reserve their comments and thoughts for a more appropriate forum as I sure don't want to switch on to a shopping channel and hear it.

Ingrid's gone up in my estimation. Normally find her as dull as the dowdy range she presents.

The NHS has some good bits - and I recently had 1 good experience after many dire ones - but is pretty terrible on the whole and compares badly with similar services in most developed countries. Objectively, our survival stats are worse than countries spending equivalent amounts. The beloved "jewel in the crown" that Danny Boyle idolized at the Olympics is, sadly, only the envy of the third world these days and NO other country copies our funding or delivery model which should tell us a thing or two. Of course, we all put up with it, but people need to remember that it isn't free - it is actually very expensive for taxpayers - and pockets of it are quite likely to make you worse rather than better (or even kill you, if we're talking MidStaffs). It needs root and branch reform.

Mind you, I wouldn't want matron dressed in one of those sloppy, tatty, creased Yong Kim numbers....

Latest posts

Back