help needed for peeling nails

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've always had peeling thin nails that go into layers and tear off. Nail Envy improved them a bit, although I always had one or two nails peeling at any one time. I stuck with it for years. I then tried Nailtiques no 2 which was more impressive and I got some length on most of my nails. The holy grail for me though was trying Dr Lewinn's Renunail - I have got a matching set of long, strong, hard nails for the first time in my life! I keep having to cut them down which I have never ever had to do before. It contains formaldehyde which I'm sure can't be good for you, but hey, if it's used to preserve old cows for Damien Hirst it can help preserve this ageing old cow too.

Many thanks for all the great "science" info - i agree re with the " feeding our nails from the inside out" theory and also that a strengthener would be useless - if the nail is peeling its dehydrated so a treatment such as "LD Hydra-flex seum" would be ideal. Ms Trouble is so right re putting our hands and nails constantly into water(particulary with detergent) and also how medications etc can affect our hair/nails. The only other thing i would want to suggest is using Leighton Denny's Crystal Nail File - using an normal emery board, if not used correctly,will cause peeling nails but you can use the crystal/glass files in any direction without damage - imo Leightons is the best on the market just now. My last tip would be to keep your nails short for a while to allow them to recover and grow - as Ms Trouble has said it can take up to 6mths(results vary) from the nail to grow from the matrix to the free edge - the nail is "alive" at the matrix - the nail bed/free edge is dead therefore we are ideally wanting to encourage a full regrowth for the strength to return(and hopefully no peeling) - the same applies to hair growth.

Ms Trouble - thanks for the blast from the past - Nail Eat and Nail Drink from Supernails i remember a few years ago Debs Flint coming onto the boards to buy one of each from one of our forumites. I now rave about and use Nails inc "Victoria" but in the early days of QVC it was Supernails "Morticia" - remember their "little pot of magic" cuticle cream and "Armour" and "Anchor" base and topcoat?

LD's nail treatments are really good, the Hydra Flex and Bio Build especially because the ingredients and actions are proven. Crystal file's are really good too and give a lovely finish.

Funnily enough I almost mentioned the Qtica cuticle repair balm (hated the smell though) and always remember Jilly Halliday raving about it, same with the Intense Hand Repair Balm with the cotton gloves. I still have a few of their polishes from the Nocti range.
Good old days!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back