Happy Gardening. Not.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Hands up those who had ever heard of Richard Jackson until they watched QVC ? I'm of an age where I can possibly name a lot of the TV gardeners down the past few decades, but Richard Jackson ??? who he ? Even at the big garden and flowers shows that are televised with all the 'main' names in evidence, I've never seen Richard Jackson featured or interviewed. Wonder why.

Never mind, Gardener's World starts again soon. I'd rather watch Monty Don any day rather than RJ.

To be honest I would rather watch paint dry than watch/listen to the qvc's annoying garden gnome......:mysmilie_10:

Didn't he used to be on one of the kids shows with Gordon the Gopher? I'm going back a bit lol. I'm not being mean, I quite like RJ - everyone's got to make a living after all.

CC

I had not heard of him either, and much preferred the shows when Charlie Dimmock or Matthew Biggs stood in for him, at least they are seen else where.
Not keen on Monty Don, prefer Beechgrove garden, they are more down to earth gardeners.

I really like Monty Don but not keen on the format since it became based at his home. The programmes I really like is when MD goes to go gardens in Italy etc.

Also really like the programme about craft workers which he fronts.

Oh yes, I think the Beechgrove one is the best too. Not just down to earth gardeners but actually growing in climate conditions that many of us have to contend with, not the so called "difficult" growing conditions that various BBC Gardeners World presenters moan about in places like Hereford, Devon etc.......Don't make me laugh!
Try growing in Scotland or like me with an acre of acid peat high up on the northernmost Pennines where the difference in the seasons is whether the rain & wind is freezing or a bit warmer.

RJ used to be a guest on an LBC Radio gardening phone-in show, at least 20 years ago.

I find Monty Don slightly pompous. I also think Gardeners World is trying to be more up-market, a "magazine" show. I want real hands on practical gardening. I'm old enough to remember the likes of Geoff Hamilton and another gardener whose name escapes me - he had a broad Yorkshire accent. They were the real old-time gardeners.

RJ used to be a guest on an LBC Radio gardening phone-in show, at least 20 years ago.

I find Monty Don slightly pompous. I also think Gardeners World is trying to be more up-market, a "magazine" show. I want real hands on practical gardening. I'm old enough to remember the likes of Geoff Hamilton and another gardener whose name escapes me - he had a broad Yorkshire accent. They were the real old-time gardeners.

Ooh, do you mean Harry Dodson? I used to love watching him in The Victorian Kitchen Garden (and Wartime Kitchen Garden). He was a man who knew his onions! What he didn't know wasn't worth knowing.

http://victoriankitchengardenseries.blogspot.co.uk/

:flower:

edit: I've just realised he wasn't a Yorkshireman though :blush:

I am a beechgrove garden man myself remember it in the black and white days god that takes me back i was in short trousers though, also like Toby buckland no airs and graces about him down to earth guy.

Hands up those who had ever heard of Richard Jackson until they watched QVC ? I'm of an age where I can possibly name a lot of the TV gardeners down the past few decades, but Richard Jackson ??? who he ? Even at the big garden and flowers shows that are televised with all the 'main' names in evidence, I've never seen Richard Jackson featured or interviewed. Wonder why.

Richard Jackson used to have a weekly gardening programme here in the South. This was years ago, probably in the 80s. He also used to write regular columns for Gardener's Weekly magazine and has also co written several gardening books. He was a perfectly nice ordinary gardening 'expert' in those days before QVC got their hands on him! He has sold out but apparently his own brand stuff is a huge seller so I guess he and QVC are raking it in (pun intended lol).

I regularly use Flower Power & find it really good !!! I agree the programmes are boring & so repetative . I try to avoid watching them nowadays . My only plant order was for some 'hardy' verbena plants ages ago , which were a big disappointment.
What's the use of a 30 day MBG with plants which often take longer than that to grow ?

Apparently according to the news section of this site,we can expect more gardening shows because it is a huge growth area for QVC. Since the move to Chiswick RJ has a much bigger garden on site ,so watch this space.Less beauty ,more plants maybe........

I like shrubs that regrow and need little attention,so I never watch gardening shows.

RJs products turn over 5 million a year for qvc no wonder he has a contented grin on his face.

I just can't understand why there needs to be 3 people presenting gardening shows? What does RJ ever have to say that is of any use when you have the brand rep there and a regular QVC presenter?

I just can't understand why there needs to be 3 people presenting gardening shows? What does RJ ever have to say that is of any use when you have the brand rep there and a regular QVC presenter?

They are trading on his name. He always looks to me like the odd man out especially when they put him in the middle of 2 other people.....Not that I watch gardening of course ...Lol..

5 m and most of that is pure profit flower power is not twenty times better than any fertiliser on the high street

No and I doubt he developed the products as well! I suspect he just puts his name to them for QVC.

Latest posts

Back