Gardening in 2009? TSV ideas? 10/01/09

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Nicky-j

Registered Shopper
Has anyone out there heard any clues about tomorrow (10/01/09)'s gardening TSV? I've just started getting into growing my own a bit and bought quite a bit last year. I'm certainly not an expert, but for the first time have found myself looking forward to a gardening show!

I'm a bit surprised that it seems aimed mainly at people with growing-on facilities like greenhouses. Something ready to plant, even with a delivery delay, would have been nice.

I'm a bit surprised that it seems aimed mainly at people with growing-on facilities like greenhouses. Something ready to plant, even with a delivery delay, would have been nice.

Yes, I agree. They even had someone on flogging trays - three pots width - after one showing of the TSV saying that they would be ideal for growing on and could be 'popped' on a windowledge. Where do these people live - stately homes???

are the plants in the TSV , that come up again year after year? and not one time flower then there dead plants
im new to gardening

They will last all summer until the cold season starts again, i believe...OH deals with our garden.

I went for the TSV, never tried their plants before

They will last all summer until the cold season starts again, i believe...OH deals with our garden.

I went for the TSV, never tried their plants before

then next summer they will flower again without doing anything to them?

Yes, I agree. They even had someone on flogging trays - three pots width - after one showing of the TSV saying that they would be ideal for growing on and could be 'popped' on a windowledge. Where do these people live - stately homes???

They certainly don't have cats that eat everything that resembles grass!

Just wanted to add that anyone who's bought the TSV should make sure that the plants are kept indoors until all danger of frost is past. The plants need warmth - cold or damp will kill them in hours.

For those of us in the south, that means keeping them indoors until around the middle of May. For anyone in Scotland, that can mean the end of May, or sometimes even the beginning of June.

They'll need to be hardened off before you plant them out. This means putting the plants out during the day, and bringing them in at night, for 2 - 3 weeks before they're planted out.
It gives the leaves time to toughen up, so they don't wilt or scorch in bright sunlight and can withstand heavy rain.

So sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs here, but QVC's very good at flogging plants without mentioning anything at all about how to keep them alive. :11::11::11:

Toadette's absolutely right about the TSV plants flowering all summer, but in the case of the geraniums and busy lizzies, will have to be dug up and brought inside for the winter if you want them to grow again in 2010.

They root very easily from cuttings, though, so you could overwinter some smaller plants if space is at a premium.

Just wanted to add that anyone who's bought the TSV should make sure that the plants are kept indoors until all danger of frost is past. The plants need warmth - cold or damp will kill them in hours.

For those of us in the south, that means keeping them indoors until around the middle of May. For anyone in Scotland, that can mean the end of May, or sometimes even the beginning of June.

They'll need to be hardened off before you plant them out. This means putting the plants out during the day, and bringing them in at night, for 2 - 3 weeks before they're planted out.
It gives the leaves time to toughen up, so they don't wilt or scorch in bright sunlight and can withstand heavy rain.

So sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs here, but QVC's very good at flogging plants without mentioning anything at all about how to keep them alive. :11::11::11:

Toadette's absolutely right about the TSV plants flowering all summer, but in the case of the geraniums and busy lizzies, will have to be dug up and brought inside for the winter if you want them to grow again in 2010.

They root very easily from cuttings, though, so you could overwinter some smaller plants if space is at a premium.

if thats the case then im gonna cancel my order as i cant be bothered to dig up plants and bring them indoors every year.I thought you could leave them in the ground then come summer they would flower again

Hi Ruud, if you want plants that come up year after year, you need to look for hardy perennials - they'll die back in the winter and often disappear altogether, but come up the following spring. They did show a perennial collection (item number 558435) but I think you may need to nurture them a bit on receipt before planting out.

Thanks for all those green fingered tips! I found it bizzare QVC are selling these plug plants on 10th January. I got my Dad their Busy Lizzies last year!

It's so funny they are grown in Guernsey and I live in Jersey - but they won't deliver to me cos I'm not UK mainland:34:

It's ruddy freezing here at the moment and -5, so much for the milder Channel Islands! I've lived here for 15 years and have barely had ground frosts - until this year, never seen anything like it in Jersey.

I reckon they're trying to get in before the gardening catalogues come out - or are they out already?.

The last 2 or 3 years I've waited until the garden centre plug plants are reduced to clear - they soon catch up growth-wise and I'm only interested in basic varieties of busy lizzies and geraniums etc. for pots, so there's always plenty there.

I didn't realise it got that cold on Jersey - beautiful island, have been on holiday. It's been horrible here today too, sun was trying to get out first thing this morning but has been murky ever since and perishing.

I have never had plants from QVC that have lived up to expectation, the bulbs I brought last summer (120) of them had plenty of leaves but not 1 single flower between them!! I now only watch the gardening hours for ideas. I am sure that I save enough to buy from my local garden center.

Perhaps it's just because I'm a non-gardener (I live in an upstairs flat) but what's the point of having shows now for products that you're not going to receive until March? o_O

Was I the only person to think of little weed standing in between the flowerpot men? :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back