Flinty's looking fuller

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Aww Shopps, do you want to tell us any more?

Me and my best friend went and we met two lads from Maghull Aintree and without a word of a lie, I was 16 he was 17 and the most gorgeous looking fella that ever walked this earth. We met up when we got back but it just wasn’t the same, same happened with my friend too, not to worry though, three years later I bumped in to the husband (literally) on a night out, he was lovely, kind, funny and being handsome was a bonus, and the rest they say......is history. ❤️❤️❤️

Sorry my earlier post has appeared twice, no idea why but I`m sure admin will remove one of them.

Yes, do tell. Butlins, Minehead. Was the darts on? :LOL::LOL:

CC

No CC, but the disco was great in the ballroom. 😂

Fewer corners!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha, yes, it was kind of "sharp" o_Oo_O My other granny and grandad worked at a school and they also had Izal (no doubt taken from the supplies cupboard). I never remember my own parents having that though, pair of softies :D

CC

Oh my word, isn’t that IZAL the paper that spreads not absorbs. 🤮

When I was a kid we had an outside toilet at the bottom of the yard and on Winter nights you had to wear your duffle coat over your jammies and traipse down the yard in your wellies and carrying a torch. Inside the loo you had to try and wipe your bum whilst balancing the torch at the same time.
When it was very cold Dad used to put a storm lamp on top of the tank which was high up on the wall and a long chain was used to flush the loo. The paraffin storm lamp stopped the pipes from freezing but the fumes from it were terrible. It`s a good job the toilet door had a 3 inch gap under it for ventilation.
We had a tin bath which was used every Sunday night and the cooker would have large pots and pans boiling away for the hot water. Myself and my little brother shared the bath, then my older sis got in and lastly my older brother. Mum would then empty it and start filling it all over again and then she`d get in and then lastly my Dad. The bath was in front of the coal fire in the back kitchen and Mum would place a large sheet over a clothes maiden in front of the bath so my older sis and her could have a little bit of privacy.
Our pj`s would be warming inside the oven of the black range and we`d be packed off to bed with a hot water bottle apiece and a china potty under the bed for night time wees.
No duvets back then, candy striped flannelette sheets, wool blankets with a satin edge and a flock filled eiderdown. Lino covered floors which gave you a shock of cold when you stood on them, a rag rug, and net curtains frozen to the old rattling sash windows.
When we eventually got a bathroom I thought we`d died and gone to heaven.
The amount of work involved for your mum, & all other women, just to get their family clean was immense. The health & safety people would have a fit about all the boiling water & clothes by fires but people coped &, like your dad placing a lamp on the tank, found ways of making things work. I can imagine your delight when you had a bathroom fiited & the balancing act came to an end.

Vienna. Absolutely the same here! I cant remember how old I was when we finally got an inside bathroom, perhaps 10 at the oldest, and Oh. My. Days. It was utter bliss, even though it was cramped and ****** cold as there wasnt any heating in it for ages. I hated going to the outside loo at night (no heating in ours so you didnt hang about!). We didnt have newspaper squares thank goodness, just that awful Bronco stuff. Newspaper might have been preferable actually, lol. There were only three of us so my bath was first, then Mum then I was confined to the front room whilst Dad had his.

My mother didn’t believe in pampering us so as a very small child iI had to get dressed in a cold bedroom but had a cousin (lovely girl) whose mum heated all her clothes in front of the fire and let her dress in front of it too. I was sooo envious as it seemed like bliss to me as a 5 year old.

She was also allowed to keep the change when she went to the corner shop for something - there was no way on this earth my mother would have allowed this.

However the family did not have their sorrows to seek but at 5 I could only see the nice bits.

When I was a kid we had an outside toilet at the bottom of the yard and on Winter nights you had to wear your duffle coat over your jammies and traipse down the yard in your wellies and carrying a torch. Inside the loo you had to try and wipe your bum whilst balancing the torch at the same time.
When it was very cold Dad used to put a storm lamp on top of the tank which was high up on the wall and a long chain was used to flush the loo. The paraffin storm lamp stopped the pipes from freezing but the fumes from it were terrible. It`s a good job the toilet door had a 3 inch gap under it for ventilation.
We had a tin bath which was used every Sunday night and the cooker would have large pots and pans boiling away for the hot water. Myself and my little brother shared the bath, then my older sis got in and lastly my older brother. Mum would then empty it and start filling it all over again and then she`d get in and then lastly my Dad. The bath was in front of the coal fire in the back kitchen and Mum would place a large sheet over a clothes maiden in front of the bath so my older sis and her could have a little bit of privacy.
Our pj`s would be warming inside the oven of the black range and we`d be packed off to bed with a hot water bottle apiece and a china potty under the bed for night time wees.
No duvets back then, candy striped flannelette sheets, wool blankets with a satin edge and a flock filled eiderdown. Lino covered floors which gave you a shock of cold when you stood on them, a rag rug, and net curtains frozen to the old rattling sash windows.

Yes ! AND Cozyhome thought THEY invented them 🤭 : and WHO remembers wearing liberty bodices with little rubber buttons ????? and - before long socks, I had little leather leggings that fitted from ankle to knee with loads of little side buttons that took ages to do up, but they did keep my 5 year old legs warm.

Me and my best friend went and we met two lads from Maghull Aintree and without a word of a lie, I was 16 he was 17 and the most gorgeous looking fella that ever walked this earth. We met up when we got back but it just wasn’t the same, same happened with my friend too, not to worry though, three years later I bumped in to the husband (literally) on a night out, he was lovely, kind, funny and being handsome was a bonus, and the rest they say......is history. ❤❤❤
'I was 16 he was 17...'
I feel a song coming on 🎶💕

Same here. The outside toilet where I was always in great fear of the spiders that lurked in the corners.
Tin bath that was brought in once a week on a Friday. We had a butler sink and when we were really small were washed down in the sink . There was a range in the back sitting room .There was a copper which boiled the clothes. Then the mangle.
Now I have 2 bathrooms but I’m not into anything fancy.Younger people still can’t believe we had tin baths. I think our house was one of the last in the street to be updated.

Liberty bodices. I remember them. And when you got older they lost the rubber buttons and became spencers. Aka vests with sleeves!

My gran had spencers - I never knew what the hell they were! My grandad was a grounds keeper and he used to wear combinations :ROFLMAO: The very young me didn't know what they were either and I used to play about running in and out of them on the washing line and tying the legs together, then my gran would rush out and swat me with a tea towel or shoo me away with a broom. They were nice people, honest :love:

CC

My gran had spencers - I never knew what the hell they were! My grandad was a grounds keeper and he used to wear combinations :ROFLMAO: The very young me didn't know what they were either and I used to play about running in and out of them on the washing line and tying the legs together, then my gran would rush out and swat me with a tea towel or shoo me away with a broom. They were nice people, honest :love:

CC
I can relate to all of the above. My granny wore the same and it fascinated me watching her get dressed when I was young. My grandad also wore combinations and had 2 bonnets - both looked exactly the same to me but apparently one was for good (Sunday best) and the other for daily use. He was a farmer and worked hard for a living. I loved staying with them - great fun in the summer holidays -those were the days 👍

I can relate to all of the above. My granny wore the same and it fascinated me watching her get dressed when I was young. My grandad also wore combinations and had 2 bonnets - both looked exactly the same to me but apparently one was for good (Sunday best) and the other for daily use. He was a farmer and worked hard for a living. I loved staying with them - great fun in the summer holidays -those were the days 👍
What wonderful memories, thank you.

Yes to both the liberty bodice and leggings, remember the lovely fluffy finish on the inside of the liberty bodice when new.

Latest posts

Back