Facebook

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I tried to sign up to FB when it first came out - could not log on (tried many times) so gave up.

gawd....we're already getting us and them. nobody's 'promoting' facebook PPC. for my part, i just didn't want to lose touch with any of you if the worst happened is all. there's one or two on here i'm friends with on facebook anyway. there's plenty of room for both.

i've been on fb for 18 months now and never had a friend request or message from someone i don't know.
In retrospect promoting may have been too strong a word as it infers that FB is worthwhile or important which imo couldn't be further from the truth. Advocating is the correct word.

21 insisted I had a FB account when she went to America. She insisted it was the easiest way (along with Skype) for me to see what was happening her side of the pond. My account is private and exclusive in that I have 12 friends and that's it. My two teenage great-nieces are on ignore as I do not want to see photos of what they are about to eat in McDonalds or know their state of happiness at that moment in time, yet I can still send them and receive private messages from them.
27 is trekking around Africa at the moment and internet connection is patchy to say the least, but she sent a link to their photos this weekend and it was fabulous to see where they had been & with whom and to really see that she looked healthy & happy.
I don't know why I hesitated to join up before.

I find it very hard to understand the opposition to FB. Agreed it might not be for you but to say that it is not worthwhile or has any positive connotations is ignoring the fact that millions of people use it, and every life is different. Not one member of my family lives in this country, they are spread all over the world and FB is another way I can keep in touch with them, not the only one, but mail and telephone are just not always an option, and especially mail can take a very long time.
It is however a very good idea to get your head around the privacy settings

But that does not always work Flying Pigs. The connection can be awful
The only way we could communicate with 27 on Skype last time was to cut the video link and suffer the stuttered audio dialogue and long delay.

I have "liked" the FB page and will keep an eye on it.
I don't see myself posting on it very often as I have to limit the amount of time I spend using a keyboard and mouse.
But and it is a big but I would hate to lose contact with all of the wonderful people I have "met" on here.
I live in a very rural part of Cornwall and don't often get out and about due to my personal circumstances, and sometimes the people I "speak" to on here are the only people I speak to all day apart from my DD.
I have said it before and will say it again this site has help me and many others through some VERY VERY HARD times in my life and without the support of the wonderful members of this forum I honestly don't know that I would still be sitting here today.
So to have a back up rescue plan in place makes perfect sense to me.
You wouldn't set sail in a boat without either a life jacket or a lifeboat in place and I see the FB page as this forums lifesaver.

Ok, to all those overly concerned....a page has been set up where we've all 'liked' it and introduced ourselves. There is no talk going on behind your backs! I couldn't set up a group because I have to be 'friends' with people before adding them as members, and I don't want to get back into using FB in a big way and don't want to add any more 'friends'. There is very little to no activity on there, but at least we've connected. Some members may wish to become 'friends' with others. What people do on FB is their own concern.

From my point of view, life carries on as normal. I may contact someone through FB if I want to (which is my perogative) or I may contact them through here. It's just the same as forum members 'liking' the QVC FB page. We could all talk to each other on there if we wanted to. Some FM's are actually on there too and it's not the end of the world.

I have no desire to set up a sub-forum or take anything away from Graham. I simply cannot be ar$ed with all that! All I was suggesting is somewhere else to connect, as back up. No hidden agenda, no harm done.

And that really is the end of the story :happy:

Ok, to all those overly concerned....a page has been set up where we've all 'liked' it and introduced ourselves. There is no talk going on behind your backs! I couldn't set up a group because I have to be 'friends' with people before adding them as members, and I don't want to get back into using FB in a big way and don't want to add any more 'friends'. There is very little to no activity on there, but at least we've connected. Some members may wish to become 'friends' with others. What people do on FB is their own concern.

From my point of view, life carries on as normal. I may contact someone through FB if I want to (which is my perogative) or I may contact them through here. It's just the same as forum members 'liking' the QVC FB page. We could all talk to each other on there if we wanted to. Some FM's are actually on there too and it's not the end of the world.

I have no desire to set up a sub-forum or take anything away from Graham. I simply cannot be ar$ed with all that! All I was suggesting is somewhere else to connect, as back up. No hidden agenda, no harm done.

And that really is the end of the story :happy:

Infiltration
Subversion
Eventual destruction

Well, a bear's got to have a hobby eh? :happy:

I saw you over there yesterday BB....... infiltrating.

Runs back and today with the subversion so I guess tomorrow we can see the destruction of QVC FB.

Last edited:
Infiltration
Subversion
Eventual destruction

Well, a bear's got to have a hobby eh? :happy:

Runs back and today with the subversion so I guess tomorrow we can see the destruction of QVC FB.

Ooh. I must check in more often. Sounds tres exciting ;)

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

Give me time I only started posting this week!

And I may need a bit of help.....

Different approach needed on FB for obvious reasons :0)

Give me time I only started posting this week!

And I may need a bit of help.....

Different approach needed on FB for obvious reasons :0)
I haven't a clue what im supposed to do either.
I need help also. Rather have it here, and still thinking about Graham, and don't want him to think we're deserting
him. ;(

Can we ask how Graham is, we're all concerned about him, and maybe an update would be due to put our minds at rest please

I haven't a clue what im supposed to do either.
I need help also. Rather have it here, and still thinking about Graham, and don't want him to think we're deserting
him. ;(

Not help with FB. my human alter-ego has been on it for years.

I thinks it's a totally different proposition to ST.com. I really believe that the anonymity of FM's here is its strength. You can say what you like (within the rules) but still feel protected by the fact that no-one knows you. When people have posted pics of themselves in public threads on here it always feels like they've crashed through some sort of "fourth wall".

With FB its all a bit too Big and Real. It doesnt feel the same as our jolly family of miscreants here. Not as much fun. I'm only on there to be sarcastic really :0)

Last edited:

I thinks it's a totally different proposition to ST.com. I really believe that the anonymity of FM's here is its strength. You can say what you like (within the rules) but still feel protected by the fact that no-one knows you. When people have posted pics of themselves in public threads on here it always feels like they've crashed through some sort of "fourth wall".

With FB its all a bit too Big and Real. It doesnt feel the same as our jolly family of miscreants here. Not as much fun. I'm only on there to be sarcastic really :0)
You sarcastic :thinking: never LOL

The bears are changing that quickly now that I cant keep up

Seen some of your posts Burly B on Facebook. (funny) I made a few of my own. Wonder if they'll be removed ???

Latest posts

Back