Exciting News From Alison Young

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I knew someone who worked in beauty retail, and she was very anti-Caroline Hirons. She has so much power now she can actually break a new business if she puts the word out. Hence, why so many upcoming new brands will try to attract her attention. I know on Facebook she does have well over 10,000 followers alone this is worldwide then there is Instagram and Twitter push her own website and then Good Morning she has loads more followers.

I did meet her back in 2019 when she came to my local SpaceNK she did a special set with them. Okay, I went for the free champagne and didn't buy the set. She is a tall normal looking woman in her 50s, but the fans call her our queen Caroline or the lady Hirons too sycophantic for me. At the end of the event I thought oh well I better go over and ask advice as everyone else had done. She just told me to keep doing what I was already doing. Okay.

Caroline was never trained as a beautician, she worked on various cosmetic counters as did her mum and grandmother. Then over the years she moved behind the scenes and worked her way up the industry PR.

I've checked her FB group and has 83,000 in there. I joined when it was just 2-3 thousand, so been there a while.

Caroline did attend college. While anyone can put any qualifications down there are ways of checking these things.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210313-233305.png
    Screenshot_20210313-233305.png
    116.3 KB · Views: 115
I quite liked her in the early days of Q, smart uniform and professional attitude etc.
For a long time now she has been Miss Big Head, with an attitude to match.
Her voice is grating, and her vocabulary is annoying.......as well, for you, as well, as well, as well.................🥱

As for Caroline Hirons, when I met her at an event in our Debenhams, she was really nice.
Her sycophants treat her like some sort of goddess though, it's rather laughable and pathetic.
She looks very ordinary in real life, good skin yes, but you would pass her in the street unnoticed

CH worked at Q flogging pixi with her mate Amanda.

Amanda is lovely. The knowledge she has. Had a long chat with her when I meet her. The amount of information in her head and I mean nitty gritty geeky stuff. But was so kind and patient and really willing to educate and not in an off putting way. Didn't feel she was showing off, just inspiring me to learn.

I had a problem with a Pixi thing from Q. Q didn't want to know just the usual send it back. Amanda phoned me and really wanted to solve the problem. Good customer service.

CH is very knowledgeable and a lot of her generic skincare advice is excellent.
She is opinionated, combative even. She has an impressive list of industry contacts, but also appears to have had some major failings out, notably with Drunk Elephant, if I recall correctly.
Being opinionated definitely is an asset in a social media world...the more drama the more views on the channels people have on the various platforms.
CH has kept her hands on qualifications and practice going until fairly recently...but like a lot of beauty gurus, I think the involvement in developing their own brands has changed the relationship with viewers. Before they were fans and skincare enthusiasts...now they are customers. Its not the same.
AY has rather neglected to maintain hands on beauty practice or qualifications. I hope she still has an amazing contacts book with so many ex-journalists and ex-beauty experts vieing for attention in the industry and on social media.

Here is the book

The comments from Ruth are funny.
The one's on Ali K's Insta are too -

'Mine arrived this afternoon. I can hear Ali's voice as I'm reading it. Loving it'.

OMG, if the number in this woman's username is her DoB she's 36, not 13.

I've just read the bit about the preview of the section about the secrets of the beauty industry and it's like a plug for QVC products - most people won't know that Liz Earle was sold to Avon and then Boots or that Elemis is owned by L'Occitane (oh won't we!). I can assure you there's absolutely no differrnce in the quality or formulas of those brands - big companies don't buy them to water down the products, they buy them because they have managed to achieve a niche market that they can invest in, and grow...

Surely AY should be awarded an Honorary Doctorate by some presteeeegus university for years of painstaking research into beauty products and the ethos of the brand. Being crowned the most influential woman in British beauty is not enough for such devotion!

So it is Alison Keenan who had to get it from Amazon. AY didn't give out freebies to the presenters. :ROFLMAO:
She probably reimbursed them and added a percentage for a glowing review.

99p too much imhp
They'll make on the P&P. I wonder if it comes with a 28 day MBG...I expect that's why they're not peddling it on Q!

It took her over a decade to discover tightlining so can't imagine any of her advice is up to date.

I think a lot of people make the mistake of thinking someone with good skin got it with certain products. Yes, products can help but good genes are the true reason for good skin. I suffered from depression for many years and never bothered anything more than washing my face with whatever was to hand and slapping a bit of Nivea Soft on if it felt tight. I didn't go outdoors much then so avoided sun damage for a while despite not using spf. My skin is still good for my age, though, as was my mum's.

We had the same Clinique SA at my local Debenhams counter for years She had really bad adult acne that only disappeared after she went for blue light treatment. Something she happily told her regulars. Her advice for all skin types was quite good and she never pushed the stripping toner they made. She was a clever saleswoman and would only sell the better products rather than push their full system like her colleagues.

Talking of beauty experts, does anyone get the Victoria Health weekend email?

I'm so disappointed to read this week's. Gill tells her story of having a few cysts and a Basal Cell carcinoma removed and her dermatologist recommended Vaseline be applied to help healing (as did mine after half my face was stitched back on after I was glassed - though mine told me that after the first week I should apply the contents of a vitamin E capsule first then seal it in with Vaseline over it).

She goes on to say that with due respect to her derm she won't be putting Vaseline anywhere near her face and recommends iS Clinical Sheald Recovery Balm instead.

Being nosy I had a look at the ingredients of this wonder balm (posted on the product page on the VH site) and... surprise! Petrolatum is the fourth ingredient. And of course, petrolatum is another name for petroleum jelly which is Vaseline!

Gill really needs to fact-check before recommending one of her site's products for £20 after slating the £1.50 equivalent. As I said, I'm very disappointed in her.

My scars run across my cheek into my lower lip and down my chin. I could have ended up looking like The Joker but even I have to look very closely to see any trace of a scar. Considering the lower half of my face was hanging off I consider this an excellent outcome. I'm very thankful for Vaseline. Not only did it make the stitches more comfortable and help the healing (I didn't use it on the smaller scar on my eyelid and I can see that one clearly), I do believe it's helped keep the fine lines around my eyes fairly unnoticeable. I used it on my lashes for decades as they'd started falling out after constant waterproof mascara use - it conditioned them beautifully but I'd wake up and find some on the skin in the morning.

After using it for over 40 years for just about everything head to toe I'm still Vaseline's biggest fan. I wish I could say I'm still a fan of Gill now.

Its all about the money Alter Ego nothing else. I was brought up using Vaseline so much so I dont even notice that I use it every single day. These people want to peddle stuff that can make them money that's the baseline. Nothing more nothing less. I love my beauty stuff. Its my treat but there is only a certain amount of moisturiser, cleanser, toner you can possibly use. If I have three moisturisers in the house I know its time to stop buying stuff

Talking of beauty experts, does anyone get the Victoria Health weekend email?

I'm so disappointed to read this week's. Gill tells her story of having a few cysts and a Basal Cell carcinoma removed and her dermatologist recommended Vaseline be applied to help healing (as did mine after half my face was stitched back on after I was glassed - though mine told me that after the first week I should apply the contents of a vitamin E capsule first then seal it in with Vaseline over it).

She goes on to say that with due respect to her derm she won't be putting Vaseline anywhere near her face and recommends iS Clinical Sheald Recovery Balm instead.

Being nosy I had a look at the ingredients of this wonder balm (posted on the product page on the VH site) and... surprise! Petrolatum is the fourth ingredient. And of course, petrolatum is another name for petroleum jelly which is Vaseline!

Gill really needs to fact-check before recommending one of her site's products for £20 after slating the £1.50 equivalent. As I said, I'm very disappointed in her.

My scars run across my cheek into my lower lip and down my chin. I could have ended up looking like The Joker but even I have to look very closely to see any trace of a scar. Considering the lower half of my face was hanging off I consider this an excellent outcome. I'm very thankful for Vaseline. Not only did it make the stitches more comfortable and help the healing (I didn't use it on the smaller scar on my eyelid and I can see that one clearly), I do believe it's helped keep the fine lines around my eyes fairly unnoticeable. I used it on my lashes for decades as they'd started falling out after constant waterproof mascara use - it conditioned them beautifully but I'd wake up and find some on the skin in the morning.

After using it for over 40 years for just about everything head to toe I'm still Vaseline's biggest fan. I wish I could say I'm still a fan of Gill now.
You always give such good advice & recommendations Alter so I'm always chuffed when you write about something I also have experienced. I know someone who was assaulted by her son a few months ago, her eye socket had to be rebuilt & the first time I saw her after this had happened she was waiting for an appointment with an aesthetic surgeon to discuss having the pad of her cheek replaced. When she talked about her scars & stitches I recommended Vaseline & a few days later she called to say she'd got her appointment & had asked for advice over using it, she was told to start immediately.

Assaulted by her son? and Alter Ego glassed in the face? what a world we live in.

Words fail me.
He's 24 & has a personality disorder, her injuries were potentially life-threatening because of pressure on her brain & she lost the 'pad' of her cheek when he bit her. The muscle to the side of her eye had to be relaxed & this caused her undamaged eye to bulge because her brain got confused. All this happened as we went into lockdown at the beginning of the year, so she's been going through all of this on her own.

Yesterday I bought a 43g tube of WASABI PASTE from Lidl for 79P, as I like spicy food.

I've just checked the ingredients.

It is 85% Horseradish!!! And also horseradish oil as well lower down in the ingredient list. It also has mustard to make it more spicy.

Only 3.5% of wasabi POWDER so it's not even got real wasabi in it.

I am going to return it ASAP.

But how do they get away with calling it wasabi paste?

You always give such good advice & recommendations Alter so I'm always chuffed when you write about something I also have experienced. I know someone who was assaulted by her son a few months ago, her eye socket had to be rebuilt & the first time I saw her after this had happened she was waiting for an appointment with an aesthetic surgeon to discuss having the pad of her cheek replaced. When she talked about her scars & stitches I recommended Vaseline & a few days later she called to say she'd got her appointment & had asked for advice over using it, she was told to start immediately.

As do you, Twi. I'd be lost without the friendships here tbh as I have little in common with my family and several of my IRL friends have passed away or moved to be closer to their children recently.

A lot of the stuff that the NHS gives out initially is a bit blah but I love Aveeno (available on prescription which shocked me when Mr. AE was given it to help a skin condition heal) and Vaseline has always been a hero as if nothing else it protects and keeps in moisturiser which makes skin feel so much better. I remember reading how they found out about the ability it has to heal after oil rig workers found their hands so well-conditioned after handling it on the drill shafts.

It struck me as being so weird that Mr. AE had to get Aveeno for his skin after it flared up when he worked with motor oil yet the by-product heals so well. All the additives I suppose.

Its all about the money Alter Ego nothing else. I was brought up using Vaseline so much so I dont even notice that I use it every single day. These people want to peddle stuff that can make them money that's the baseline. Nothing more nothing less. I love my beauty stuff. Its my treat but there is only a certain amount of moisturiser, cleanser, toner you can possibly use. If I have three moisturisers in the house I know its time to stop buying stuff

Oh, yes. It's really bad form of her to slate one cheaper product and recommend a more expensive one with the same ingredient. It just seems greedy. If she'd said the product contained it but along with other ingredients that she considered better it wouldn't have been so bad but the way she wrote it she came across as being astounded and outraged the derm would even suggest Vaseline as she considers it a complete baddie.
Assaulted by her son? and Alter Ego glassed in the face? what a world we live in.

Words fail me.

And my step-sister, too.

But all's well now as I come here and find that I'm not the only one who strips the bed then leaves a hotel room as I found it. Not to mention all the help and support we give each other. Then a good dose of humour to top it off. My kind of people 🥰

Latest posts

Back