credit crunch - what are you doing?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm one of those people who doesn't have a mortgage or big debts (bar one for a car). Or marriage and children :21:. Jobwise, I'm reasonably secure as I am fortunate to be in the right division in the right place, not exactly the right project but it serves my purpose. Buying stuff, well I've stopped buying the big gadgets a while ago and only will buy if I can't fix it. Recently had a big clothes buying spree and definitely don't need shoes for a good 3 years! My only real expense is food - which I am started to do more of my own baking - and DVD's, obviously on the cheap and box sets only.

Thing is, although I'm trying to save, other things like fares go up which negates any savings I've made. As for buying on QVC, I don't anymore as nothing interests me or if it does, the p&p puts me off (cue Samsung Netbook TSV!).

Don't watch QVC that way I can't be tempted. OH is out of work ATM, but we have enough to get by. I'll do what I have always done when it comes to buying food, buying cannily. Just because something is cheap, its not good value if you are throwing away loads of fat. Also, we have been making meals out of tinned stuff I have bought on BOGOF and our food bills have halved, though I still look in M&S for somethings foodwise, as they aren't all silly prices.

"I wish willpower could be purchased on QVC!" Sarah P QVC wouldn't sell it anyway otherwise they'd go out of business. LOL

Also, we have been making meals out of tinned stuff

Yes I ocassionally have 'on toast' meals, where everyone chooses a tin and then I put it on toast, it makes a nice change and saves a little money.

I rent council flat so that is good, well for me. Have enough from my work and its seems we are doing OK not to be laid off.

As for buying from QVC, nothing to do with the credit crunch/recession but I have cut down buying for quite some while now. Very few things really appeal(sp) to me, the mad urge to buy every beauty brand has long gone. Perhaps I have finally got common sense:52:, but I tend to stick to Elemis these days as I like the brand. I usually search ebay for deals or other websites. I did buy two of the last TSV and the special size cleanser and toner. Got mainly money for christmas which suited me as I went on a bit of a spending spree for clothes etc in the sales. Buying good quality items which I know will give me good wear if cared for. I don't really go out for meals, well the Northern Ireland Posse meet once a month.

I work for a utility company so im in a good place to be at the moment, people are always going to use water !

Luckily i have no debts only a mortgage which is small (50k) and fixed for 5 years.

We are spending as normal at the monent and see no reason to change, although as people who know me on here i do shop around to get the best deals :)

We too fixed our mortgage over a year ago and it would be too expensive to remortgage elsewhere.

You're not alone, we fixed our mortgage back in 2006 so we are now paying more than people on tracker mortgages and the rate cuts don't give us a penny back.

Even worse our mortgage is with Northern Rock, this is simply because when we bought our first home back in 2004 they had the best deals for first time buyers, now though this feels like a stigma because thanks to the media most people seem to think that if your mortgage is with NR you are one of these people who should never really have got one and are in immediate danger of being repossessed :mad:

We are on a variable rate but our BS is not passing the rate cuts on to its customers. We are still paying 5.1% and that is with a 1% discount offer which is carp:12:

We are retired and both have occupational pensions and no mortgage.We did use the interest on our savings to pay towards holidays and caravan site fees but that will not happen now the interest rates are so low.(However I would rather it was that way than see people lose their homes and jobs)
I am buying a lot less from QVC,not because of the credit crunch but having tried most of the ranges decided to stick with Decleor and L'Occitane.I will buy TSVs and source other items elsewhere.
For anyone who uses bare minerals foundation Feel Unique has excellent offer at the moment--£17.50 inc. p&p per 9gm pot and mine was delivered within two days.

I have had to stop spending so much and it hurts. No diamonique for a month now as I do have I think about 24 rings, diamonique as well as some other nice ones. But it is not a necessity expecially as heating costs are so high. I do miss my one or two rings a month. I buy more form ebay now as well as it's cheaper.

I work for a major retailer and a local charity and I am okay. But I am not buying my lunch out anymore I'm bringing it with me saves a lot over a week, can't afford £3 a day for 6/7 days a week!!

In terms of QVC I haven't bought as much recently as I used to. Normally I would buy each Northern Nights TSV if it was bedding but not bought one in months and months.

As other posters I would be tempted and buy new Skin Care ranges etc but I am going back to Liz Earle with her TSV in Feb' - I have been trying out Elemis Time For Men but the first effects have worn off and I don't think it is as good for me as I first thought.

QVC need to start selling things with easy pay a lot more - I know they have recently but it always amazes me that on a product that is a couple of hundred pounds they don't offer EP but they do on a product for about £20.

I'm also looking at things in supermarkets before I buy and not buying things because I want them but rather if I need them.

Chris

You're not alone, we fixed our mortgage back in 2006 so we are now paying more than people on tracker mortgages and the rate cuts don't give us a penny back.

Even worse our mortgage is with Northern Rock, this is simply because when we bought our first home back in 2004 they had the best deals for first time buyers, now though this feels like a stigma because thanks to the media most people seem to think that if your mortgage is with NR you are one of these people who should never really have got one and are in immediate danger of being repossessed :mad:

We have been told by Northern Rock that they will remortage us from February and our payments will go down.

We bought our house in the last recession in the 90's with a low mortgage. That's nearly paid off so we should be ok. Both our jobs are pretty much secure so we should see this through (fingers crossed). Putting our 2 sons through University over the next few years will keep our feet on the ground!

That's great news Lorraine :)

Unfortunately mine isn't up until the end of 2011.

About two years ago we got a letter to say that if the mortgage market became problematical and Northern Rock couldn't help us, they would not leave us high and dry, they'd help us find a good deal with another lender.

Seems to me that Northern Rock have got caught up in the buy to let mortgages and got their fingers burned.

Instead of buying whatever I fancy (except the really expensive stuff that I just couldn't afford anyway), I am writing it down. I keep a list of TSVs which might be of interest. If I don't buy the TSV(s) then, if I still want and need it, I can perhaps buy something from my "I want" list. However, I've found that a couple of days later I'm usually not that bothered about buying it which just goes to show how much we buy on impulse from WATCHING presentations on QVC. So, I've decided to spend less time watching it and more time doing other things such as reading.

Job-wise I'd hope mine is reasonably secure, but these days nobody can know 100% that their job is safe. OH works for a charity so whilst not a high earner he does have a very worthwhile and satisfying job so, fingers crossed, we should be okay.

Like Calvin, I'm not going to try out any new stuff. After 9 years with QVC I know what works for me and will only buy to replace or exceptionally good value TSVs. I've got more than enough clothes (understatement of the year) and will only replace boots, etc. as they actually wear out. I've already got rid of my stockpile on Ebay prior to Christmas and will continue to do so with anything surplus to needs and perhaps some clothes to provide PayPal funds to buy things I really need.

QVC - how about payment by PayPal?!

What a good idea re:- PayPal

I have been cutting down on my spending at QVC by not watching, I look at the schedule and the TSV via the internet to see if anything interesting is coming up but trying to only buy what I need.

I will be intersted in the Decleor TSV this month becuase I use the brand and am a little low on the few things, otherwise I will purchase from Lookfantastic.com who are very good.

Fingers crossed my job will be ok, but you just feel like cutting down these days because you don't know whats around the corner.

Have a look for Decleor here as well, they may not carry such a large range of products but most of what they do stock is much cheaper than Lookfantastic: http://www.cheapsmells.com/index.php

I have been using them for over a year now and never had any problems. The goods always arrive within 2 or 3 days of ordering.

Ive not been buying much from QVC, there has been no temptation from them TBH.

New years eve brought the new energy bills in, the amounts they wanted were ridiculous so we've turned our heating down a few degrees and started sitting under a blanket at night lol

Latest posts

Back