Christmas in August! Really????

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I`ve had every type of Christmas under the Sun, from large family gatherings when I was a child, just me and hubby on our first Christmas as newly weds, our first family Christmas with our own first baby, other Christmases with our ever growing brood as more babies arrived, a miserable Christmas just after my Mother`s death one November, one in coronary care when my first hubby had a heart attack on Christmas Eve, another Christmas when he found out he had terminal cancer, the first Christmas after he died 6 months later and several Christmases after that I chose to work the festive period because it didn`t feel all that festive to me and not one of them looked like the Christmases they try to portray on QVC.
It`s like watching one of those supposed feel good American Christmas films where it always snows, the trees are always fabulously dressed and people are milling around wishing each other Happy Holidays. Yeh right !

i was talking to my sister and we were saying that life has some lovely times. but as you get older it gets harder. you see the older generation that you grew up with slowly going. almonds and raisins bitter and sweet. my sister has cancer and i am being like a bloodhound trying to get her treatment. and i am not that well myself. oh well

Well nowadays I have hubby no 2 to annoy the Hell out of but he and I both make a point to remember our late spouses at Christmas time but like you say Boffy, as we get older it gets harder. I love seeing young families at Christmas, to me that`s what it should all be about, those magical years when they still believe in Santa and the excitement on Christmas Eve and the wonderment when they get up on Christmas Day.
Christmas isn`t about handbags or makeup or most of the stuff Q sells, it`s about little ones being excited and being too young to care whether they`ve got the latest ipad or telephone.

Well nowadays I have hubby no 2 to annoy the Hell out of but he and I both make a point to remember our late spouses at Christmas time but like you say Boffy, as we get older it gets harder. I love seeing young families at Christmas, to me that`s what it should all be about, those magical years when they still believe in Santa and the excitement on Christmas Eve and the wonderment when they get up on Christmas Day.
Christmas isn`t about handbags or makeup or most of the stuff Q sells, it`s about little ones being excited and being too young to care whether they`ve got the latest ipad or telephone.

very true.when they are so young you can wrap token gifts and they are just so happy to be with thier family ...so right!

I`ve had every type of Christmas under the Sun, from large family gatherings when I was a child, just me and hubby on our first Christmas as newly weds, our first family Christmas with our own first baby, other Christmases with our ever growing brood as more babies arrived, a miserable Christmas just after my Mother`s death one November, one in coronary care when my first hubby had a heart attack on Christmas Eve, another Christmas when he found out he had terminal cancer, the first Christmas after he died 6 months later and several Christmases after that I chose to work the festive period because it didn`t feel all that festive to me and not one of them looked like the Christmases they try to portray on QVC.
It`s like watching one of those supposed feel good American Christmas films where it always snows, the trees are always fabulously dressed and people are milling around wishing each other

I felt I was reading my life story there Vienna ! pretty clear that we all experience Christmas in a different way. I've had so many Christmas mornings where I've been alone opening my presents and I don't expect it to change any time soon. I'm not garnering sympathy, its reality. Q's marketing has the huge house with huge fireplace and huge Christmas tree with beautifully wrapped gifts underneath, and the dinner table groaning with food and drink, with everyone made up and looking sparkly. I rather suspect that the very wealthy DO celebrate Christmas like that, but the rest of the population do not.

I still love Christmas Eve, it's always been my favourite part from being a little kid (to the big one I am now!). My two have flown the nest now so it will be the first christmas alone with the other half for 27 years! I envy the young families with their little ones and wish I could turn the clock back. Oh well hopefully there will be grandchildren one day.....

boffy, So right, one of the saddest things is losing people close to you and this accelerates as we get older ourselves. Whoever said 'grief is the price you pay for love' knew what they were talking about. Wishing you and your sister well, and sending you lots of positive thoughts & hugs. Hope much happier days are ahead for both of you xx.

i was talking to my sister and we were saying that life has some lovely times. but as you get older it gets harder. you see the older generation that you grew up with slowly going. almonds and raisins bitter and sweet. my sister has cancer and i am being like a bloodhound trying to get her treatment. and i am not that well myself. oh well

Sadly their business is selling and to them, people on their own are simply a target audience wonderfully susceptible to the DBF I'm-your-friend-you-can-trust-me-so-buy-now-before-it's-gone tactics. Social conscience is only part of sales when lack of it racks up unpopularity and they're forced to change their ways. But the American Happy Families Round The Tree tactic frankly makes me want to puke, and I'm one of the lucky ones who does have nice Christmases.

Thatu, you are so right. I have in the past watched QVC recordings on Christmas Day - sad huh? Well, maybe me and a million others and after a bottle of wine maybe doing a little retail therapy because you feel a bit down is called for. I recall seeing personal Christmas messages recorded by each presenter and thinking "Kathy thinks I've got loads of gifts and actually I've got none. Better order some". I honestly don't think I'm the only person that has done that. People would do far better if they are on their own at Christmas to just peep into forums like this and have a bit of banter instead of spending squillions of pounds on a "complete DIY do it in the New Year kit, the amazing toilet brush that isn't a brush and a set of underwear that is 3 sizes too small". I'm saying nothing :mysmilie_11: (who buys toilet brushes on Christmas day anyway??)

CC

Latest posts

Back