Catherine Huntley Has Shingles.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

"By the pricking on my bum, something shingly this way comes!"

My 3 outbreaks have been on exactly the same site, my neighbour had it on her face and years ago my Nana had it on her inner thigh (if you catch my drift) which sounds awful. It's chicken pox that you have only once, unfortunately shingles can happen more than once. C Pox during pregnancy is taken v seriously in the US and Canada but here the GP, firstly didn't believe that I'd never had any spotty childhood illnesses and then just said to tell them at the delivery suite if I went into labour. Tell them? TELL THEM! I was covered in scabs FFS! Luckily I was all better when DD arrived.

Hope you all feel better soon x

Jude xx

You can also catch it if you're in contact with someone who has chicken pox. Not a nice thing to have and hope she gets better soon :)

I may be wrong on this so sorry if I am! I thought you could catch Chicken Pox from someone with Shingles? but when you have had Chicken Pox it can return as Shingles later particularly when you are 'run down'.I never had Chicken Pox as a child & had it a few year ago & had been in touch with someone with Shingles.Maybe those of you with some Medical Knowledge ( which I don't) can comment?Hope Catherine is well soon as it can be very painful I believe.

"By the pricking on my bum, something shingly this way comes!"
My 3 outbreaks have been on exactly the same site, my neighbour had it on her face ..... It's chicken pox that you have only once ..... xx

Sorry you're suffering Jude but you saying you have it on your bum and your neighbour has it on the face made me chuckle - there's a joke in there somewhere lol

My daughter had chicken pox twice the first time when she was 6 months old and then really badly a few years later.

I hope you feel better soon DJ x

I wouldn't wish it on anyone either - my OH (normally disgustingly healthy!) had it last year and he was laid low..extremely painful round his middle. DD had chickenpox as a child, but I've never had either so am not quite sure where I stand! Doc told OH he wasn't contagious and we hadn't to take any special precautions - still not sure whether she was right!

fyi

SussexShopper - I use dogpile.com to search CanAm sites for their input eg: MayoClinic, JohnsHopkins. Saw on cbc.ca (CanadianBroadcastingCorporation) today, they expect 1 in 4 Canucks to come down with Shingles. The vaccine is $150/£70. (((gentle hugs))) to those suffering x Snarly

Shingles is very unpleasant. Poor Catherine. You do NOT catch it from chickenpox. When you catch chicken pox in childhood it never leaves your system. The virus goes & lives in the nerve endings in the spine. Some time later a persons immune system can become compromised & it activates the virus causing shingles to erupt. Usually caused by stess etc. Anyone who has never had chicken pox will not catch ( chicken pox ) unless they touch the blisters of a patient with shingles. Not nice as it always follows the line of a nerve & even after the rash has long gone the pain can stay for months.

My Dad had shingles and had it around his eye and was rushed by the GP to the local eye infirmary for treatment - luckily he didn't lose his sight but he suffered with it.
Then 3 weeks late i caught Chicken Pox from coming into contact with my Dad and was laid up for over 6 weeks in bed - thought i was going to die as i was that ill.

Really nasty diseases in adults - hope Catherine gets better soon.

Hope Catherine gets well soon, horrible thing shingles,, my hubby had a bad bout back in November, he coped ok but he was very uncomfortable, all down his right side & on his waist, he described the discomfort as like having sunburn on the inside of his skin, ouch :( I had chicken pox twice, once as a child & again when I was 32, such a dose I had as an adult, they were everywhere & I mean everywhere! Dreadful! Hugs to all you reoccurring sufferers of shingles, not nice at all x

In the mid-60s we had a neighbour who developed shingles and he was ill for a very long time but I never heard of it again until about 3 years ago. Is that coincidence or is it becoming more commonplace?

I got it last year for my birthday and it was truly awful.

I'm not a Catherine fan at all but i wouldn't wish shingles on anyone. I've had it and its extremely painful and makes you very miserable. I wish her a speedy recovery.
Jude wish you better. X

Very sympathetic and wish her a speedy recovery. However, the cynic in me thinks they'll have her doing the L'Occitane and ABC shows saying how soothing the products were, during her illness.

I had shingles 10 years ago, it came out 2 weeks after a car accident and I was able to claim compensation. However the money was no compensation for the misery I endured for 3 months, the itching was horrendous and I managed to get the anti-viral drug within the 1st 24 hours; so dread to think what it would have been like without it.
I wish Catherine a speedy recovery.

epsom anyone?

Soaking in a warm bath with EpsomSalts helps draw out the lactic acid when I have a bad ME relapse. Would the same or an ESplaster help to rid the Shingles toxins? It sounds so painful, lovelies!

Soaking in a warm bath with EpsomSalts helps draw out the lactic acid when I have a bad ME relapse. Would the same or an ESplaster help to rid the Shingles toxins? It sounds so painful, lovelies!

Apparently not Snarly, I was told to keep the rash as dry as possible. Got through gallons of calamine lotion to help relieve the itching though!

ta

Thanks for that, Disenchanted. And Calamine is such a lovely shade of pink, isn't it? :wink:

Wish Catherine a speedy recovery and everyone else who is feeling under the weather one way or the other. This miserable cold weather don't help!

Poor Catherine, hope she recovers soon. A dear friend of mine has had it twice and she really suffered, definitely stress related, my friend was in a very demanding job and also caring for her elderly mother when she became unwell.

Latest posts

Back