Carla’s Dog

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

When I was a child we always had dogs and cats. In those days they were all mongrels well that's all I knew of. The trauma of losing my furry friends was so great I never had a pet as an adult. My youngest has finally got herself a new home and her neighbour lost her Parrot she had for 15 years and just a few day ago her besties a little white Terrier. My daughter had a beautiful little wooden plaque made for her with a photo of her and the poem "rainbow bridge " enscribed on it.

But
That Rainbow Bridge poem has me sobbing my heart out. I can’t bear to read it.
But you must! It's lovely. When I die I know it will be my time because I will see Cops and Perry, and the cats, they will be there. I will collect the leads and go to the Bridge and we will go walkies for all eternity. Really, what could be better?

CC

Ahh so sad reading about Carla’s dog and those of you who had childhood pets but the trauma of losing them put you off owning them ever again, though I do understand :(

I think I was lucky that our first pet, a cat, lived for 18 years from when I was a baby, so I thought pets always lived for many years... Even if it was agony when it happened.

(Plenty of my beloved guinea pigs, which we also bred for friends, lived well too as well as Russian hamsters etc.
But never forgot the ache of them dying -one on Christmas morning which ruined my Christmas and heart!)

I posted a month ago when my fur baby boy (cat) died and had such lovely, very kind posts which really helped - thank you :)

The tears have yet to stop but I do have his ashes back and they even sent me some of his down-like fur and a paw print which are precious.

I’ve been offered an ex-queen of the same breed to re-home already, but I’m really not at all well atm (live with a horrid illness), so think I am going have to say no to the little poppet 😭
She could never ever replace my baby so maybe it’s too soon anyway I don’t know?!

It’s so hard, isn’t it!

I've always had pets and it is heartbreaking when you lose them. My gorgeous cat passed last month and it's still agonising not having him around. I think I'm finding it more a sense of loss this time because we've been together every day during lockdown and there's no getting away from it. I always say to people when they experience grief that work helps but it's so much the case when WFH. I'll get another pet at some point but it's too soon at the moment.

I've always had pets and it is heartbreaking when you lose them. My gorgeous cat passed last month and it's still agonising not having him around. I think I'm finding it more a sense of loss this time because we've been together every day during lockdown and there's no getting away from it. I always say to people when they experience grief that work helps but it's so much the case when WFH. I'll get another pet at some point but it's too soon at the moment.
I am so sorry 💔 I have been there so many times & it's horrible. My only consolation has been knowing that my animals had the best of lives, they were loved & appreciated when so many others don't have anything or anyone. It's been nearly twenty years since the Queen wrote 'Grief is the price we pay for love' & to me those words say everything about loss; a life without love is an empty one.

Slightly off track but it’s been such a relief that Pen Farthing has been able to bring back all his rescue animals from Afghanistan and for all those being critical they did not take the place of any humans.😊
There have been many wonderful people from lots of countries doing their utmost to help the desperate Afghans in the limited time to do it. There has ONLY been Pen Farthing to evacuate some of the animals, most of which are pets that now belong to service people, and bless him and their vet for doing so. Sadly, he had to leave people behind as well but hopefully they will remain safe.

Slightly off track but it’s been such a relief that Pen Farthing has been able to bring back all his rescue animals from Afghanistan and for all those being critical they did not take the place of any humans.😊
Bless you 💐 I contributed to the appeal when it began & watched all the twists & turns with heart in mouth. There are those in government whose ineptitude & arrogance has made this awful episode far worse & I'm convinced that much of the criticism was to deflect attention from certain departments & 'Special Advisers'. My emails have been plentiful, vociferous & gave me the opportunity to tell certain men to wind their necks in.

I’ve recently adopted a cat unexpectedly ! Since my Eric died 2 years ago age 21 I couldn’t face having another cat. That’s him in my avatar 😍.

my nephew’s girlfriend has had a cat for 6 years since a kitten but now they’ve had a baby & bought a house together my nephew will not ‘allow’ the cat to move in with them 😱🤬

They asked if I would take her and I couldn’t refuse. I’m glad I did, she’s a delight and it’s nice to have a cat around the house again. Luckily I’ve not found it painful, I don’t feel guilty as if I’m replacing Eric.

I’ve recently adopted a cat unexpectedly ! Since my Eric died 2 years ago age 21 I couldn’t face having another cat. That’s him in my avatar 😍.

my nephew’s girlfriend has had a cat for 6 years since a kitten but now they’ve had a baby & bought a house together my nephew will not ‘allow’ the cat to move in with them 😱🤬

They asked if I would take her and I couldn’t refuse. I’m glad I did, she’s a delight and it’s nice to have a cat around the house again. Luckily I’ve not found it painful, I don’t feel guilty as if I’m replacing Eric.
I love that you havethe cat, if not the reason why - all to common these days....
(what would have happened to puss had you not had her?

Moving on - what's her name, what's she like? I love cats & miss mine dearly.

Eric is irreplaceable, you've given a cat a home & that's wonderful. You're a truly lovely lady 💐

I love that you havethe cat, if not the reason why - all to common these days....
(what would have happened to puss had you not had her?

Moving on - what's her name, what's she like? I love cats & miss mine dearly.
My nephew’s girlfriend has several friends who wanted to take the cat but my garden and road are very quiet and safe so I ‘won’ ! To be fair to my nephew he made it clear from the start that he didn’t like cats 😱!

she’s called Tilly and usually answers to her name ! She’s a 6 year old long-haired tortoiseshell with green eyes. She keeps her long fur coat immaculate, I brush her once a week but not yet found much loose fur and certainly no mats.

My nephew’s girlfriend has several friends who wanted to take the cat but my garden and road are very quiet and safe so I ‘won’ ! To be fair to my nephew he made it clear from the start that he didn’t like cats 😱!

she’s called Tilly and usually answers to her name ! She’s a 6 year old long-haired tortoiseshell with green eyes. She keeps her long fur coat immaculate, I brush her once a week but not yet found much loose fur and certainly no mats.
Ahh I’m so pleased for you - and for Tilly! Glad you’ve both “found” each other... :)

Never had long-haired cats but she sounds stunning...
My Alfie loved to be groomed though, so between me and carer there was quite a lot of brushing! You’ve never seen moulting like it!

Oh wow Eric was such an age that’s amazing and glad you’re not finding it painful.

I spent the weekend sobbing because I had to say no to another cat (called Milly!) bc I’m too ill and know she will need extra “work” and care etc esp at first.

Plus it’s only 5 weeks since Alf died - and I’ve just done PCR yesterday as got those symptms on top of usual ones!

All in all just not possible or a good time for a new cat though I’d fallen in love with her - but you’ve inspired me it will be one day... 😻

Ahh I’m so pleased for you - and for Tilly! Glad you’ve both “found” each other... :)

Never had long-haired cats but she sounds stunning...
My Alfie loved to be groomed though, so between me and carer there was quite a lot of brushing! You’ve never seen moulting like it!

Oh wow Eric was such an age that’s amazing and glad you’re not finding it painful.

I spent the weekend sobbing because I had to say no to another cat (called Milly!) bc I’m too ill and know she will need extra “work” and care etc esp at first.

Plus it’s only 5 weeks since Alf died - and I’ve just done PCR yesterday as got those symptms on top of usual ones!

All in all just not possible or a good time for a new cat though I’d fallen in love with her - but you’ve inspired me it will be one day... 😻
Is that Alf in the pic? He looks nice - silver!

Is that Alf in the pic? He looks nice - silver!
Yes that’s him! 😻
He was very special boy (IMHO and even previously cat-hating carers ended up loving him!)
Yes he was shaded “silver” - in the sun you could see it more!

Before I owned him he was a stud and show cat who won grand champion titles (not really into all that but hey!) but he did get a bit of a podge after getting “done” so probably wouldn’t have won prizes except on personality LOL!

Latest posts

Back