Alison Young

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I’m Trans, I believe the misunderstanding is a generational thing, I’m 47 my mum and dad still don’t get it, but it’s not there fault, as when they grew up in the 50s and 60s it wasn’t heard off
My dad will be 80 next year and is a typical 'blokes bloke' but even he has huge sympathy on the trans issue, but he's generally a lovely man anyway to be fair.

I’m Trans, I believe the misunderstanding is a generational thing, I’m 47 my mum and dad still don’t get it, but it’s not there fault, as when they grew up in the 50s and 60s it wasn’t heard off
My only problem with transgender is the problem with men who aren't trans and use it as an excuse to use female toilets for whatever reason or another.
That just gives people ammunition to attack people who are genuinely trans.

I do kind of understand what you mean, but I know a couple of ladies who were born male and the mental torture they went through knowing they were born in the wrong body shouldn't be underestimated IMO.
I agree with that too but I also think it’s a perfect opportunity for male sexual predators and deviants to take advantage while women are in the firing line to test which category they fall into.

Way back in the 70s, I was a teenager, Belfast had a lot going on. There was a middle-aged man who only wore women's clothes, my mum and loads of people knew him and chatted with him. I was slightly frightened of him, I remember, as I had never come across anyone like that before. My mum said he lived with his mum and was open, saying he always wanted to be a girl. He lived in a loyalist area, lots of big men from the UDA/UVF paramilitary groups, no one hassled him or bothered him it seems.

Move forward to the early 00s and the MAC counter in Debenhams always had trans people who seemed to be middle-aged men buying makeup. But for some strange reason dressed like Ann Widdecombe!!!! I always thought, why not try to dress more fashionable instead of a cross between Miss Marble and Ann Widdecombe?

My late grandmother was acquainted with the family of one of the first people to undergo gender reassignment in the 1960s, April Ashley who died recently. I used to overhear conversations and being the inquisitive child that I was (I'm still the former) I asked loads of questions and was always given a sensible answer, which I'm grateful for to this day as I can't stand inequality or bigotry in any guise.

I am fully appreciative that someone might feel they were born in the wrong body and want to undergo gender reassignment. I totally get that genitalia do not always determine the sex a person feels themselves to be, and I support their right to do something about it to live a happy and fulfilling life. However, we don't need to tie ourselves in knots with new terminology and points of reference about things that are specific to a person's gender at birth as it ultimately leads to further questioning. The medical profession has been advised not to call pregnant women expectant mothers and to use the phrase pregnant people instead to avoid offending transgender patients. How come none of these terms are (or have ever been) considered offensive to cis women, who would like to have a child but are unable to conceive or carry a pregnancy to full-term?

I do kind of understand what you mean, but I know a couple of ladies who were born male and the mental torture they went through knowing they were born in the wrong body shouldn't be underestimated IMO.
I totally understand. Trans people's health journey is extremely difficult. One thing about sex versus gender that gets edited out is that your birth sex will influence your health risks for life. A male to female trans person needs to be aware that the health risks of being born male isn't as easy to leave behind as a dead name. And not enough is known about the differing risks of transitioning before or after puberty to be certain that risks of male-specific conditions lessen due to taking oestrogen. Likewise in the opposite direction.
I am leaving out the even more complex issues that intersex people face.
Trans women need to educate themselves about what risks the female hormones they take open them up to, as well as keeping current with the risks they would face as a born male. Trans men have the same situation.
Health care in both cases needs to be able to be offered on the basis of sex at birth and current gender identity if they are not to be at a major disadvantage.
I think the whole discussion has become warped and destructive in wider society, with militant trans activists shutting down any legitimate concerns about the pace and direction of trans rights as transphobia. We need to be able to air all concerns and address them rationally to support women, men, trans women, trans men, as well as intersex people.
When it comes to children transitioning, there are still big questions, as the brain matures at a different rate to the body and decisions made at a young age that cannot be undone should never be rushed into. It is heartbreaking to see tomboys convinced by adults and peers that they are trans because it's such a live issue going down an irrevocable path when the whole process of puberty is about extremes caused by hormone surges affecting body, brain and emotion.

I saw a documentary years ago about the catastrophic effect the routine use of anabolic steroids in sport in Iron Curtain countries leading to some of the girls having no choice but to transition from female to male. Suppressing female puberty, and promoting male characteristics by dosing girls with anabolic steroids should have remained in the past. There have to be better ways of supporting kids through mental and emotional distress to give them time to make decisions they can live with without regret.
QVC need to leave gender identity issues well alone. This isn't like sleb merching, social media influencer trends. It drastically affects the wellbeing and entire lives of people involved. Q are just jumping on the latest trends, as usual.

Sorry for yet another lengthy post!!
And I know that leaving a dead name behind isn't always as easy and quick to do, nor is it pain free.

And can I say this forum is doing what I hope wider society could do?

Haven’t they all though?
Everything is politicised now and I’m actually very interested in the subject.
Don’t want it rammed down my throat every 5 minutes and sent on a guilt trip every time I watch something though.
I just want to buy stuff that I dont really need. If I wanted a political awakening it would not be through QVC the Shopping Channel. Its Overreach imo

QVC can be as politically correct and inclusive as it likes. But when push comes to shove, and profits need to be maintained, they forget all about the equality and fairness box ticking stuff in an instant. Men are their second class citizens, both as customers and now also in presenter ratios, and they will remain so - certainly in selling terms, as men’s stuff, apparently, doesn’t bring the money in. Have they actually seriously ever tried to sell men’s items to get a definitive answer on that point? I’ve watched the channel on and off 20+ years, and I don’t remember them ever taking a proper stab at the issue. Therefore, by design, they are discriminating against one gender over another. It just happens to be men they are ignoring, and men are the 8-Track stereos of the modern world - out of date, with no sound any longer, generally old hat unless you are gay, and of no collective interest to the PC world any longer. One sexual injustice replaced by another.

Well to me, there are 2 sexes, male & female. Call me old fashioned but that is how I am.
Yes there are two sexes but gender is a spectrum. I avoid discussions about the trans community on social media because I am a feminist, which seems to provoke anger when I defend women’s rights. Trans issues appear to be toxic atm

Latest posts

Back