Alison Keenan

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm just surprised how many parents can keep a straight face when naming their offspring. Anything goes these days, from being named after washing powders to bottles of wine. If parents could pronounce a T it might be an improvement - the times I've heard Natalie being shouted as Na-er-lie ! so chavvy; (even the late David Bowie's son changed his name from Zowie to Duncan !).

I'm just surprised how many parents can keep a straight face when naming their offspring. Anything goes these days, from being named after washing powders to bottles of wine. If parents could pronounce a T it might be an improvement - the times I've heard Natalie being shouted as Na-er-lie ! so chavvy; (even the late David Bowie's son changed his name from Zowie to Duncan !).

Princess :mysmilie_11: and Levi - shouted out at screeching pitch today in Asda's carpark... I particularly loved the way Levi was lengthened to "Leeeeeeeeeee vi" with a "f..'in c'mere" - few seconds pause for a drag on her fag and then added "nah"!

Modern parenting in action - got to love it!

brissles, yes, I seem to remember comments something along the lines of...."they would be so hurt if they came on here and read what's been posted" - er, Pot. Kettle. Black. But if they do it, that's OK then :mysmilie_454:
Funny how its alright for some to criticise, but when the rest of us do it...........................

ho hum you wrote a post under the alison keenan thread!!!

Ho hum I don't care what thread it was. I was posting in general terms about cancer not being a get out of jail free card to make someone immune from any criticism.

But if you want me to comment on Alison Keenan specifically I like her as a presenter, don't have an issue with her at all.

On the subject of names I agree with Tiddlywinks and Shopperholic. Honey B just is not a good name choice for a child, who has to grow up with it into adulthood. If you want your adult child to become a successful professional in the future, give them a name that speaks credibility, strength and someone who can be taken seriously.

Unfortunately if an off the wall name is given and the child doesn't quite live up to it then it just gives other children more ammunition to call names.

If Princess is a bit more of a Pudding or Apple is more spotted dick it only makes it worse.

Of course maybe nowadays plain Ann or James in a class full of Tinkerbells and.JZees are the oddities.

Boring and all as it is parents need to think that childish names which are fine on toddlers are not suitable for 50 year old men (in particular) or women.

Aside from the Jax and Jadens, it seems commonplace now to be called a surname; Cooper, Connor, Mackenzie, Taylor (in all its forms), Carter, Harvey, Lewis, and so on - or perhaps I notice it more as these are the names of the dogs in my area !! whatever, but I think Magnus Magnusson has a lot to answer for !

No doubt in years to come there will be a resurgence in John, David, Graham, Brian, Janice, Linda, Carol, Jean etc. interestingly at the moment, the most popular name is Mohammed ! food for thought.

at least he had an excuse being Iclandic, and I suppose it is his father and mother not him.

People used to be registered as a full name such as Elizabeth and then called say Betty but now they just register it as Betty. Sensible really I suppose.

Names which were considered more for the older generation such as Molly, Masie or Elsie seem to trendy now.

Aside from the Jax and Jadens, it seems commonplace now to be called a surname; Cooper, Connor, Mackenzie, Taylor (in all its forms), Carter, Harvey, Lewis, and so on - or perhaps I notice it more as these are the names of the dogs in my area !! whatever, but I think Magnus Magnusson has a lot to answer for !

I always seem to remember being told never to trust someone who had a Christian name for a surname, like 'Simon Jack'. Old wive's tale, probably.

No doubt in years to come there will be a resurgence in John, David, Graham, Brian, Janice, Linda, Carol, Jean etc. interestingly at the moment, the most popular name is Mohammed ! food for thought.

Interestingly enough in Scotland and the North-East of England there is a long-standing tradition of first-born sons being given their mother's maiden name as their first name. Hence you have Robson Green the actor (maybe best known these days for the Extreme Fishing show he does on Channel 5). I've at least one example in my own family, and personally know others who have gone through life answering to their mum's maiden name... and several of those who haven't have their mother's maiden name as a second name.

Nothing is ever really new - you leave anything long enough it comes back into fashion to be enjoyed anew by a generation who think they've invented or discovered it for themselves.

One difference nowadays does appear to be the move away from any genuine familial link with the surname used, though.

They used to tell you to be sure that Christian name and surname worked together. They didn't seem to take into account the fact that once married that put the spanner in the works. In a lot of cases that wouldn't apply now as even if married many females keep their own names.

Does anyone have an example of really bad name combinations.

I swear this is true, when I used to work for Littlewoods Pools (thirty years ago) we had a new boss join us called Mr Macrackin and we all used to call him Phil for what we thought was a giggle, he'd just smile and nod so we thought ahh isn't he fun playing along, till we found out why, yes his name really was Phil Macrackin. :mysmilie_17:

Interesting point about the tradition of surnames as first names in the NE MML. My grandfather was conceived "out of wedlock" and was given his mum's maiden name as his surname/middle name after a certain amount of jiggery-pokery with his birth certificate once she married the father. My sister uncovered a very sorry tale when scrutinizing a couple of census forms around that time and it seemed she conceived aged barely 13 but by the following census her age had been altered allowing her to marry the father - a bloke in his 20s who lived next door. By the time she was 18 (her real age) she had three kids. Lord knows how tough her life was; I feel sad for her even though she died long before I was born.

Latest posts

Back