Ali K

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The difference between a member of the public and a QVC presenter putting photos of their wedding on their QVC blog is that at the end of the day, and despite there being thousands of AK followers, it's all to the greater glory of QVC, and aren't they milking it.

Yes of course they're milking it, if customers foolishly believe they're friends with the presenters, they're more likely to trust them, therefore buy from them. Me personally, I couldn't think of anything more boring than reading a presenters blog, no not even paint dry, in fact, paint dry to me would be considerably more interesting than a presenters blog, who cares what they're up to, or what they bought from Waitrose this week?

If I was asked to design of suite of jewellery for my wedding, I personally wouldn't want it released for sale to thousands of other people. I'd rather it remained unique. Maybe QVC should have produced the design for her as a gift, rather than trying to make a profit out of her big day. And, as a customer, even if I did want to buy it, it's a lot of money, in my opinion.

Think I have rubbed a few people up the wrong way, as the forum talks, mentions, and gives opinions about all and sundry, my input was about 'The' wedding, 'The' jewellery 'The' dress and everything in between as we have been hearing about it for months, she came across as a virgin bride, not someone who after two or three marriages should have just gone and got married to the love of her life quietly, as did Pippa and also for the record, she met Colin on a dating site in 2005.

Think I have rubbed a few people up the wrong way, as the forum talks, mentions, and gives opinions about all and sundry, my input was about 'The' wedding, 'The' jewellery 'The' dress and everything in between as we have been hearing about it for months, she came across as a virgin bride, not someone who after two or three marriages should have just gone and got married to the love of her life quietly, as did Pippa and also for the record, she met Colin on a dating site in 2005.

I for one absolutely agree with you Saffie for what it's worth! However maybe after her cancer she probably thought life is for living and wanted to celebrate that fact.

...she came across as a virgin bride, not someone who after two or three marriages should have just gone and got married to the love of her life quietly, as did Pippa and also for the record, she met Colin on a dating site in 2005.

For all I care she could have had a choir of angels, a marching band and 1,000 white doves... as the bride, it's her choice. The only thing I dislike about the whole thing is the marketing exploitation of something that should be a celebration of the union of two people before their family and friends.

Well, after reading the blog with more photos - cannot deny she DID look beautiful. However, I read that Peony provided the table decorations, the make up & hair courtesy of Q's make up artist, and a Q cameraman did the shots and video. Hmmmmmmm.

However, I read that Peony provided the table decorations, the make up & hair courtesy of Q's make up artist, and a Q cameraman did the shots and video. Hmmmmmmm.

Why wouldn't you take advantage of the people you know to save some money when organising an event?! That's what everyone in every walk of life does!

Um, actually no I wouldn't - so perhaps I'm not 'everyone'. If I organise something, it will involve what I want, not settling for second best because I can get it cheap or for free.

I said it before, some aspects of this wedding smacks of the Anthea & Grant debacle with the Cadbury flake !

Um, actually no I wouldn't - so perhaps I'm not 'everyone'. If I organise something, it will involve what I want, not settling for second best because I can get it cheap or for free.

I said it before, some aspects of this wedding smacks of the Anthea & Grant debacle with the Cadbury flake !

No, I wouldn't take advantage of anyone to get anything done on the cheap, so I'm not "everyone" either then.

I for one absolutely agree with you Saffie for what it's worth! However maybe after her cancer she probably thought life is for living and wanted to celebrate that fact.

I'd have thought after the Cancer scare she'd take better care of herself and not fry to a crisp every time the sun pops it's head out, therefore reducing her chances of getting another type of Cancer.

I remember when Jilly got married. We had weekly beauty shows dedicated to the products she was using, AY giving advice etc. Her wedding photos appeared in either Hello or OK(can't remember which one on), so QVC have done this type of thing for a very long time.

I'm afraid I am prejudiced against any fussy wedding. Always have been.
Experiences of friend's weddings and being roped into the organisational nonsense, the flapping, the tears, the strange obsession with trying to look better on that day than on any other, the silliness about a white dress... has given me an almost allergic reaction.

When Mr C and I discussed marriage, my reaction was 'why? aren't we happy as we are?'
Then years later we decided that marriage was a good legal move, did it as quietly as possible, and carried on with our lives.

Never been happier.
There are 3 wedding photos which we have kept as a kind of proof that we didn't imagine it. Went back to work the next day. It was, in my opinion, the perfect wedding, and the perfect day!

I can agree with the above.

Thankfully wedding invites have been thin on the ground in recent years. I will happily go along to see the couple married in whichever venue they choose, but then I disappear !

The awful predictability of wedding receptions leaves me wanting to escape as soon as possible. Its like groundhog day, the hanging about at the reception venue while making small talk to various never seen before relatives, then a flurry by an irritating photographer to get everyone in the shot, or making them all jump at once with their hands in the air (groan), then its feeding time - some are ok, others can be diabolical, then joy of joy we have to sit through umpteen unfunny speeches, this is followed by yet another 'hanging about' period while tables are cleared and waiting for the arrival of the 'evening' guests. The buffet is then laid out, and then at some time when you are midway through a conversation with a deaf elderly relative, an ear shattering sound erupts - yes its the DJ ! despite many attempts for him to play the music YOU want to hear, he stands there with his headphones on totally oblivious to the fact that he is there to entertain - not listen to the music that HE prefers to hear !

Gladly at sometime around midnight its time to leave, as you plough your way through discarded decorations and napkins back to the car park.

Whats not to like ?

There are people who want their wedding day to be shared only by family and friends and then there are people who want to share it with the World whether the rest of the World likes it or not. I`ve had wedding wedding wedding shoved down my throat for months in the past by colleagues or friends and sometimes I`ve actually thought they`ve been more in love with their wedding than their partner.
Then of course there are the Z-lebs who want to gain from it, either financially or in notoriety. I think Ali is a little bit of the latter.
Yes her wedding itself was only for close family and friends but it`s suited her to use it as a sales ploy and to gain more followers. Q have also milked it too. To me, that`s cheapened it a little. There are certain occasions in life which are special to the people concerned, your wedding day being one of them and I for one would have walked over hot coals to stop mine from being tainted by anything Q, a shopping channel and not even a particularly good one at times and the divide between my work lfe and private life would have been 6ft wide. The faux Peony flaaaaars, the Q cameraman, the Q makeup person who needs to give their beauty expert a few lessons and so on wouldn`t have got near with a bargepole.

Well said !

At my wedding in 1979, it was done 'on the cheap' with just close family and friends - totalling about 35. No work colleagues involved, did my own catering, - the buffet reception was at the local cricket club, my cake was the top tier of a normal size cake and on getting back from the Registry Office - divided groups played on the dart board, and two tables played cards and dominoes !!! Everyone said it was a brilliant day - a games day with loads of food and drink.

I think with the nature of QVC, especially on the presenting team, your personal life becomes grist for the mill.

While I am happy to view and to buy from QVC, there is absolutely no way I would want to countenance this kind of intrusion, it would horrify me. For some people it's no big deal, and is even an ego boost.

I can't blame Ali wanting to make as big a deal as possible out of this wedding... it's not that long ago that she was probably wondering whether there was going to be much of a future on any terms.

Equally, it's entirely justified to feel bored with the level of coverage of this event. It's not mean-spirited, as I doubt anyone begrudges her having her special day, to want to say "enough" and get back to everyday life.

It's not always weddings either - I've glazed over many a time listening to other people's stories about their skiing holidays... It's so easy to forget that your audience may not have the enthusiasm for the subject that you have when talking of something.

I suppose the weddings of Q presenters generate excitement.I don't think Pipas was so involved with Q products from what I remember.

My wedding was do it yourself .We made all the food ourselves and only the small wedding cake was made for us.Married in the register office being non religious and only close family attended. I never wanted a fuss and that's what we did . In spite of ups and downs still together.

Nothing against big weddings ,but sometimes people are so caught up with the wedding they don't think about how they are going to get on with marriage.This happened to a friends daughter who was separated within 10months of her long planned country house wedding.

Latest posts

Back