You say pavalovia I say pavlova

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Am loving this thread. I agree with many comments especially re Julia sticking A at the end of words like showaaa, houraaa powaaa etc. Drives me mad. Also Jilly and 'bran new, Grrr! The thing that really gets my goat is the way the presenters, and some guests pronounce the word 'jewellry as jewllerey. I know QVC is an American company but this really grinds my gears lol.

It annoys me when Alison "your resident beauty expert" Young calls parfum parfam, but the funniest is when she pronounces longevity as long-gevity instead of lon-jevity.........she maybe a beauty expert but she's quite thick really.

Not sure that mispronunciation implies a lack of intelligence.

Am loving this thread. I agree with many comments especially re Julia sticking A at the end of words like showaaa, houraaa powaaa etc. Drives me mad. Also Jilly and 'bran new, Grrr! The thing that really gets my goat is the way the presenters, and some guests pronounce the word 'jewellry as jewllerey. I know QVC is an American company but this really grinds my gears lol.

I agree, the two words that make me rush for the mute button are Bran new and Numba....

Not sure that mispronunciation implies a lack of intelligence.

It does suggest a lack of awareness, or education. It infuriates me when a guest repeatedly gives the correct pronunciation but the presenter ignores it and persist with their own variation.

One thing I have noticed is that some people have an "ear" for words and pronounciation, and can correct themselves if they get it wrong, and others can't. And even the ones with an "ear" can still have some blind spots with really hard to pronounce words. No matter how many times we'd correct my lovely gran, rheumatism became root-ism. We knew what she meant, so we gave up trying to correct her.

How about mischievous - so many people add an extra i... mischievious.

I so agree with you but I would like to add Jilly's inability to say thirty, forty etc which become thirdy, fordy and don't get me started on Jill's everythinK and anythinK.............

I think it is getting worse with the TV - started with Neighbours and has gone downhill from there. I hate that Oz upward inflection. It is one thing in OZ but in the UK it really gets on my wick - Jilly H is particularly bad with her "OK"

I think it is getting worse with the TV - started with Neighbours and has gone downhill from there. I hate that Oz upward inflection. It is one thing in OZ but in the UK it really gets on my wick - Jilly H is particularly bad with her "OK"

Yes - very irritating. Upspeak makes it sound like everything is a question or in doubt. Jilly's OK makes it sound like she doesn't believe what she's been told, which is rather counterproductive when she's there to sell the thing.

And while I haven't noticed any pronounciation gaffes from Ali Keenan, it is remarkable how many times she says remarkable when talking about whatever product she's presenting.

I do not like the word scone to be pronunced SCON, it's got an 'e' on the end which makes it SCONE, as is PHONE.

Yes, it is awful and I've noticed Julia doing it now. Why??? I have to change channel.

I do not like the word scone to be pronunced SCON, it's got an 'e' on the end which makes it SCONE, as is PHONE.

Sadly, English doesn't work like that though, does it? Take the words gone and shone. And what about done - different again!

Is scon and scone not a regional/class thing? It always seems that way when argued over by people on TV/radio.

I'm a scone (as in gone) myself whatever that makes me!

Yes they always tell us when some 'piece' has sold out, but they should display a list after the 30 days on their web of what was returned. 'We sold out of the JF type cut out shoulder top......but 99.9% of ' em were returned!':mysmilie_13:

Interesting ! What about ONVELOPE AND ENVELOPE ? I don't like to hear g's and k's missed off words or the American thirdy, fordy thing either.

Latest posts

Back