Yankee Portrait Large Jars

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Currently burning my Golden Sands large jar. I'm having a bit of an "open the cupboard and see what's there"...

I may expose my shame to you all in due course :mysmilie_465::mysmilie_466::mysmilie_857:

I should say, I really do like Golden Sands... not as much as Pink Sands. Nice and warm... can't describe it very well... I wish I had perfume notes for this candle.

On YC US site it talks about "Your private beach awaits, where time pauses in soft breezes of soothing sandalwood, luminous orange flower, and warm tonka beans"

I really like choosing a new candle from my supply, especially if it's one I've had for ages and forgotten about.

Golden Sands making like a delinquent miner - tunnelling badly. I've been illuma-lidding it whenever I've burned it having had no success with a shade in that regard.

Can I save it? Any tips???

Thank you so much for all your helpful replies and tips. :mysmilie_504: I've had my eye on a couple of Illuma lid designs for a while, so will get one of them, probably from eBay.

Some of the WJ candles are quite light. They have been criticised for lacking a scent in some collections. I like them but you should be aware of that as I always have a melt on the go. But I also burnt Christmas in Paris last year and it was strong. Of the set in question, the one I like least is California Redwood as instead of deep and woody it is a quite sharp and tangy. Of course it may not burn that way. The other two smell really nice.

I was very sceptical when they first showed the illuma lid and then got one to have a try. I think I wanted to make a free postage threshhold! Well I have now bought another. I really think they do their job and if I see any candle is thinking about tunnelling, I slap on an illuma lid. They do not remove every bit of residue but certainly in my experience, they have helped. For shooting or smoking though, I think the shade will catch more.

But my best accessory is the wick trimmer, IMHO. Saves all that faffing about with clippers or scissors. Marvellous. And the snuffer rather than trying to blow out the flame and not hit the wax.

:mysmilie_59:

Thanks for that, would never have expected California Redwood to be sharp and tangy! I have the Yankee wick trimmers, and agree they're very useful.

Currently burning my Golden Sands large jar. I'm having a bit of an "open the cupboard and see what's there"...

I may expose my shame to you all in due course :mysmilie_465::mysmilie_466::mysmilie_857:

I should say, I really do like Golden Sands... not as much as Pink Sands. Nice and warm... can't describe it very well... I wish I had perfume notes for this candle.

On YC US site it talks about "Your private beach awaits, where time pauses in soft breezes of soothing sandalwood, luminous orange flower, and warm tonka beans"

It couldn't possibly be any worse than my Lola Rose addiction! :doh: :blush: Must be nice to be able to open your cupboard and have a selection to choose from, so you can pick according to your mood, can quite see the appeal. :nod: I've got quite a few boxes of tea lights and about half a dozen votives, but just the large jar that I'm currently burning. Am thinking I may have to rectify this. :wink: :giggle:

Well I have never been anywhere near a California Redwood, but I know some woods are quite sharp (like when you walk through a wood) rather than the deep, deep woodsy notes you also get. It was quite a surprise to me though, it even reminded me a bit of tomatoes!

I just started the Spas of Thailand one last night, very nice.

Golden Sands making like a delinquent miner - tunnelling badly. I've been illuma-lidding it whenever I've burned it having had no success with a shade in that regard.

Maymorganlondon, I've tried a lot of things to stop certain candles tunnelling and one of my tips is to carve around the edge so the top of the candle slants down towards the glass so the wick is on a sort of embankment, then when the raised embankment melts, it runs down the side and eventually evens itself off and you can slowly bung in the bits you chopped off (very slowly otherwise the wick is engulfed).

Someone mentioned it should be an olympic sport, so if they win gold in saving tunnelling candles, then I definitely win silver!!!!

Maymorganlondon, I've tried a lot of things to stop certain candles tunnelling and one of my tips is to carve around the edge so the top of the candle slants down towards the glass so the wick is on a sort of embankment, then when the raised embankment melts, it runs down the side and eventually evens itself off and you can slowly bung in the bits you chopped off (very slowly otherwise the wick is engulfed).

Someone mentioned it should be an olympic sport, so if they win gold in saving tunnelling candles, then I definitely win silver!!!!

That's so funny - I thought I was the only one who did the "embankment" thing! I have an old, thin but not very sharp butter knife for the very purpose! I think you are saying you do it when the wax has gone cold and remove the edge wax? I have done that once or twice but actually, I also do it when the candle has just been extinguished, or even is still lit if I'm careful to keep fingers away from the flame. I don't actually remove the wax then, I just ease the wax away from the glass and create a gutter which the melted wax can run into. If the wax has pooled to within about 1cm of the side of the jar, the edge wax will be quite soft so it's easy to get the knife down the side and ease the wax away.

Oh heck, I think I must appear bonkers now. This is why I say it's a full time job! And yes, it was I who claimed the gold Olympic medal by the way, Tarketta!

Hope you can save your Golden Sands, MML.

To cure the tunneling, get a long strip of tin foil and make a band wide enough to go just beyond the wax line and hook over the top of the jar. I warms and melts the wax round the edge. Hope that helps.

That's so funny - I thought I was the only one who did the "embankment" thing! I have an old, thin but not very sharp butter knife for the very purpose! I think you are saying you do it when the wax has gone cold and remove the edge wax? I have done that once or twice but actually, I also do it when the candle has just been extinguished, or even is still lit if I'm careful to keep fingers away from the flame. I don't actually remove the wax then, I just ease the wax away from the glass and create a gutter which the melted wax can run into. If the wax has pooled to within about 1cm of the side of the jar, the edge wax will be quite soft so it's easy to get the knife down the side and ease the wax away.

Oh heck, I think I must appear bonkers now. This is why I say it's a full time job! And yes, it was I who claimed the gold Olympic medal by the way, Tarketta!

Hope you can save your Golden Sands, MML.

Yes, yes, yes - exactly!!!!

Totally agree re the full-time job as well, I'm OBSESSED with making sure they burn properly and feel an immense satisfaction when they do :)

I love this forum... most things have been experienced by others. Will try the embankment.

Oh, and on the subject of rather obsessive things to do... I have an old pair of tweezers I use to extract any bits of wick that have fallen into the wax - particularly on lighter coloured candles. I am doing this on lit candles with a bit of careful manoeuvring to avoid getting burnt.

Yes, yes, yes - exactly!!!!

Totally agree re the full-time job as well, I'm OBSESSED with making sure they burn properly and feel an immense satisfaction when they do :)

Thank goodness for that! So pleased I am not the only one. I hope you have not started telling people they are making a mistake when you visit their home and you spot a tunnelled candle or long or mushroomed wick? To be fair, I was thanked.

Rather than knives and embankments, I use the blunt end if a biro and squodge it into all the outer wax when it is soft to make little dips in it, and join them together so the wax runs into them! So more of a Heath Robinson method but the same principle!!

I love this forum... most things have been experienced by others. Will try the embankment.

Oh, and on the subject of rather obsessive things to do... I have an old pair of tweezers I use to extract any bits of wick that have fallen into the wax - particularly on lighter coloured candles. I am doing this on lit candles with a bit of careful manoeuvring to avoid getting burnt.

Brilliant, isn't it? I have learnt so much about all sorts. It is nice that I can share my candle knowledge here to reciprocate as I have learnt lots from you (beauty product tips) and other forum members.

As for tweezers, see attached photo of my little tray which is always handy!

1.jpg

Should probably have been called the YC Anonymous thread for candle-aholics :mysmilie_8:

Andi - I recognise that tray, I really do :mysmilie_59:

Glad it's not just me getting ingenious with items of cutlery.

Brilliant, isn't it? I have learnt so much about all sorts. It is nice that I can share my candle knowledge here to reciprocate as I have learnt lots from you (beauty product tips) and other forum members.

As for tweezers, see attached photo of my little tray which is always handy!

View attachment 12530

That pic made me laugh, as it looks like a tray of theatre instruments! :grin: Think my Moonlight jar might be a bit far gone for the biro squodge method, so will try the embankment technique! Don't blame you all for being passionate about getting them to burn correctly, as they're an investment (particularly if you're a collector) and you want to get your money's worth and rinse maximum enjoyment out of them! :nod:

Watched the 8pm hour with Stephen and Charlie earlier. I really think Stephen and Rosa are the perfect brand ambassadors. Passionate, knowledgeable, and - most important of all - really good at describing the fragrances. No wonder Yankee are doing so well for QVC.

What a cute little tray, I love it!

And tweezers! I never thought of them!! (I use the end of a teaspoon.) Must have a rummage to see if I have some old ones lurking.

I agree about Stephen and Rosa, excellent both and YC lucked out when they hired them. I don't use social media but I gather they also put in a lot of effort to communicate with the YC fans.

What a cute little tray, I love it!

And tweezers! I never thought of them!! (I use the end of a teaspoon.) Must have a rummage to see if I have some old ones lurking.

I agree about Stephen and Rosa, excellent both and YC lucked out when they hired them. I don't use social media but I gather they also put in a lot of effort to communicate with the YC fans.

Do you remember the previous YC lady? Michaela... very tense and critical of what advice others were giving, and always telling presenters off. I was so glad when she faded out from the scene... I bet when Rosa became presenter #1 their sales shot up... then adding Stephen as well to give a different, but equally knowledgeable, approach. I love the fact that they never get sucked into the hectic and aggressive new QVC style.

My Golden Sands has now been hacked about to create an embankment. The pieces hacked away are wrapped in kitchen towel and resting on top of the candle with the lid closed. Interestingly, I've noticed that the wax pool in the "tunnel" is almost white in colour, whereas all the rest of the wax is a soft orange colour.

I definitely recommend tweezers for rescuing the blobs of disintegrated wick - much more precise than a spoon, and more effective than using a spatula (fewer goes to get the pieces). The only trick is to not pinch the sides of the tweezers in too much or they crumble the wick pieces... then you have to use a spoon and waste a fair amount of wax in the process.

I've also cleaned out my electric tart burner of the tart I foolishly put in the bowl. It was a bit of a mare (wax all over the draining board and some dribbled down the side of the unit) but the residue in a silicone cupcake wrapper to set, then into the bin. Unit doesn't have a separate cup, but other than that is very good. Now plan to melt further wax tarts in the silicone cupcake wrappers, which means easy switching.

By the way - did anyone get last night's YC OTO? They sounded nice, but as I've only sniffed the Eucalyptus and wasn't impressed, I didn't take the plunge.

Do you remember the previous YC lady? Michaela... very tense and critical of what advice others were giving, and always telling presenters off. I was so glad when she faded out from the scene... I bet when Rosa became presenter #1 their sales shot up... then adding Stephen as well to give a different, but equally knowledgeable, approach. I love the fact that they never get sucked into the hectic and aggressive new QVC style.

My Golden Sands has now been hacked about to create an embankment. The pieces hacked away are wrapped in kitchen towel and resting on top of the candle with the lid closed. Interestingly, I've noticed that the wax pool in the "tunnel" is almost white in colour, whereas all the rest of the wax is a soft orange colour.

I definitely recommend tweezers for rescuing the blobs of disintegrated wick - much more precise than a spoon, and more effective than using a spatula (fewer goes to get the pieces). The only trick is to not pinch the sides of the tweezers in too much or they crumble the wick pieces... then you have to use a spoon and waste a fair amount of wax in the process.

I've also cleaned out my electric tart burner of the tart I foolishly put in the bowl. It was a bit of a mare (wax all over the draining board and some dribbled down the side of the unit) but the residue in a silicone cupcake wrapper to set, then into the bin. Unit doesn't have a separate cup, but other than that is very good. Now plan to melt further wax tarts in the silicone cupcake wrappers, which means easy switching.

By the way - did anyone get last night's YC OTO? They sounded nice, but as I've only sniffed the Eucalyptus and wasn't impressed, I didn't take the plunge.

Everything crossed your Golden Sands behaves from now on!

Must confess, I'd never thought about rescuing the bits of burnt wick from the wax, I've just let them drop in - the last dregs of my candles are always about half wick, half wax - shameful!!!! Must lay my paws on some suitable implements and start tweezing ;)

I liked the sound of the other two, but I'm getting a Eucalyptus candle in one of the World Journey AD drops and that's about it for my tolerance of the scent!

I didn't like Michaela much. She wasn't really relaxed on camera, was she? And yes she did get really snitty with the presenters, but these days I would see that as a good thing! Bet she would be ticked off if ignored for an iPad, Lol. She was quite patronising though IMHO, as if they were doing us a big favour by bringing us the stuff we are paying good money for.

I had that vineyard set when it came on as an AD offer, so drop 2 was the Beautiful Day, Tulips, Gardenia trio they had on. Drop 3 will include Silver Birch and Feliz Navidad, about which I am seriously over-excited already. Even if it is crap I want a red Christmas candle called that. I didn't mind the Eucalyptus at all. Not a fave but not unpleasant. I shall go almost-pinetastic and burn it with Bayberry and the WJ Eucalyptus, with some piney type tarts near Christmas. Probably not this year though!!!!!!

I must have missed your electric tart mishap May. You didn't throw something in a bowl of water did you?? Was it on fire like when I did that?

I didn't like Michaela much. She wasn't really relaxed on camera, was she? And yes she did get really snitty with the presenters, but these days I would see that as a good thing! Bet she would be ticked off if ignored for an iPad, Lol. She was quite patronising though IMHO, as if they were doing us a big favour by bringing us the stuff we are paying good money for.

I had that vineyard set when it came on as an AD offer, so drop 2 was the Beautiful Day, Tulips, Gardenia trio they had on. Drop 3 will include Silver Birch and Feliz Navidad, about which I am seriously over-excited already. Even if it is crap I want a red Christmas candle called that. I didn't mind the Eucalyptus at all. Not a fave but not unpleasant. I shall go almost-pinetastic and burn it with Bayberry and the WJ Eucalyptus, with some piney type tarts near Christmas. Probably not this year though!!!!!!

I must have missed your electric tart mishap May. You didn't throw something in a bowl of water did you?? Was it on fire like when I did that?

I'm seriously hoping the third drop will become available to buy individually as I was also immensely excited by Feliz Navidad but missed out on ordering the AD for that set - my favourite red Christmas candle was Red Berry & Cedar, wish they'd bring it back!

Latest posts

Back